SETV report Penang

Hi all, Just FYI

Today I applied for an SETV in Penang. The consulate opens 9am, I arrived 8:57am and got queue number 10. Out 9:15am. Pickup passport tomorrow between 2pm and 4pm.

The consular officer asked for copies of my passport id page and flight out of Thailand. The officer did not ask for a bank statement. Visa fee is 150rm.

PS

Uber works very well in Penang. Most 10-15 minutes Uber rides are around 4rm-6rm.

The Malaysian immigration officer at the airport wanted to see my exit stamp from Thailand. I have no idea why.

• Like 2

The Malaysian immigration officer at the airport wanted to see my exit stamp from Thailand. I have no idea why. "

Yes that sounds a bit unusual. It wouldn't be unusual if you are crossing a land border because in some countries like Laos they are fastidious about checking your exit stamp from Thailand. But I have never heard of them doing this at the airport because in theory you could have just transited in Bangkok from a different country.

• Like 1

because in theory you could have just transited in Bangkok from a different country.

I guess he ruled that out quickly. I forgot to mention the way I was greeted by immigration

IO:  "Hi [big smile]! What are you doing in Penang? Holiday or visa-run?"

I answered truthfully "both". After that he flipped through the passport and asked why I didn't have an exit stamp from Thai immigration. But I showed him the page with the exit-stamp and all was OK.

Odd indeed.

On 08/06/2017 at 1:49 PM, GermanGuy said:

The consular officer asked for copies of my passport id page and flight out of Thailand.

Thanks for the Penang update. But what happens if you havent yet booked your flight out of Thailand? Do you still get the visa... or do you have to head back into Georgetown and buy an airline ticket?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Matt199 said:

Same question as above. Also, would a train ticket do? Apparently, the journey on 1st class is pretty good with decent views.

The regular international express between Thailand and Malaysia no longer runs as of earlier this year. The Eastern and Orient Express service still seems to be available, but I am assuming you do not want to spend that kind of money. Other than the E&O Express, you get a train to the border on one side, and pick up a completely different service on the other side. Going from Thailand to Malaysia is OK, as there are trains on the Malaysia side every hour or so, but only a couple of trains a day make the trip between Hat Yai and Padang Besar, so going to Thailand you must watch the connections.

• Like 1