Check Your Car First Class Insurance Renewal.

Dazinoz

I have a Honda Jazz and the have been insured with a particular company for 3 years and this renewal will be 4th year. 

The premiums have been around the 12,000 baht. Obviously the insured value goes down each year but premium roughly the same. Received my renewal last week and insured value dropped by 50,000 but premium went up to over 16,000 baht. Thought oh well thats insurance companies for you.

But then I was looking closely at premium renewal details comparing to last years. Last year my No Claim Bonus was 40%. This year It was down to 30%. I had had a small accident which the police told me to call my insurance company but I did not make a claim. This was detailed on the renewal notice. So I emailed my broker who had issued the renewal notice and asked why NCD had dropped when I had not made a claim. Next day received a new renewal notice. NCD gone to 50% and premium down to just over 12,000.

Pays to check.

You've got to watch them like a hawk.  My renewal is due in July, so I asked for the 5-10% discount this year for having installed a dashcam.  I filled out the application and sent off the required photos, the received back an email with my renewal notice.  Typed in bold letters was the wording that this renewal included a discount for the dashcam.  The coverage dropped by 30,000 because the car is one year older, but the premium was only around 200 baht less than last year, and that was supposed to be inclusive of the dashcam discount which just didn't add up as for as I was concerned. So, I asked for a quotation for renewal without consideration given for the dashcam, and the figure came back exactly the same.  I changed insurance companies and wound up with a much lower premium for more coverage.  Go figure!

We have just renewed the insurance on our pickup on friday.

When quoted we were told dash cam discount included in the quote.

Wife said we did not tell you we had a cam, so how come the discount is included?

After a bit of pushing, the premium came down by approx 5%

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

for the 5-10% discount this year for having installed a dashcam.  

Didn't know there was a discount for dash cam. Will try my insurance company. Probably don't want to give me on my 50% NCD.

Anyone know what the max NCD is. Was 60% in Oz and policies I have had.

I have First Class cover with a major national insurance company. Windscreen (windshield) cover is included without affecting the NCB. I have had two screen  replacements due to stone chips leading to major cracks. The assessor came to my house each time, photographed the damage and specified which repair shop to go to.

When I went to one of the insurance companies agents in my local town they quoted renewal of 16k instead of 12k and said I had lost my NCB because of the windshield claim. I pointed out to the PYT (when she was not pre-occupied with Faceache on her phone) that cover was included and insisted nicely that she check with the Head Office, Bangkok. After and interminable hour of to-ing and fro-ing and other employees getting involved they finally agreed by reading the small print in my policy guide that I was correct and, after more faffing around produced a new renewal document for 11,800!

By chance, I found that my local Traffic Office (Land Department) has a lady agent (of my insurance company at a desk near the door and she happily took on my account and management (she's on commission) and mails me the renewal notice well in advance backed by telephone reminder and prints all the docs at her workstation connected to the companies net. Now I can can tax and sort insurance in one convenient location.

Regrettably, there is no English language version of the policy booklet.

My Revo "G" first year insurance was free from Toyota, when the paint on door sill show wearing off due to ill placed scuff guard under warranty I took it to them to repaint and complain, they went through the insurance stating it was a joint  warranty and insurance package! On second year renewal, they offered me insurance of 22k stating that included Toyota repair services, I said no, 3 weeks later they came back with a new quote 14k. The other insurance companies offered me 2 quotes normal repair service or Toyota repair 14 to 16k. In the end *** offered me full no 1 insurance for 13k minus 30 percent for dashcam total cost 12500K. Wife's one year old Swift renewal quote was 18k  (for a tin can mini!)and asking around we finally got the same deal for 11k. Opps! I have forgot to request dashcam quote still not renewing until next month. For years we have with other cars jumped between insurance companies for the best deal, NCD seems  not a problem, as the prices can be competitive as you say just look at the write value they offer with the deal.

Hello all

Ok I'm in Korat & wife has a 2009 Vigo (basic model)

I would like to know (after reading the limited threads on car insurance ) is their one here that you can actually call & have a Rep come out (dont know if or when travelling through out Thai)

My wife isn't in to all this paper work & just goes with the flow but at the moment we are paying 11,500 bht

I see some figures (with a bit of an idea) of 10,000,000 - 1000,000 - 300,000 - 50,000 &( 20,000 (something to do about drivers) & I think 340,000 mkt value

I am always the main driver unless a Relo drives

I basically wanted 1st class with bail out but now that the car is getting older (but still looks & runs excellent with 210,000 k ) i am thinking of moving to 2+ with bail out 

7 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Didn't know there was a discount for dash cam.

This was recently made a law though some companies seemed to offer it before it was a legal requirement.

I just had mine installed (300B) when I changed my car audio recently and my broker has taken photos of the thing working and a copy of the purchase receipt. I hope to see the result next month in my renewal notice. I actually bought it a year ago but never got round to putting it in.

9 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I see some figures (with a bit of an idea) of 10,000,000 - 1000,000 - 300,000 - 50,000 &( 20,000 (something to do about drivers) & I think 340,000 mkt value

My AXA policy summary is in both English and Thai, at least for the most important parts like the descriptions of the cover.

Like everything else - CHECK EVERYTHING!

Had the same, value of car down, premium up and coverage/bail bond down as well. 

Mentioning it to them they referred to "mistake of new staff"; guess what, next year the staff had still not learnt the trade as it was the same soup all over again with the very same excuse. I went to see the office in Bangkok, insisted to see the person who wrote the email and told her, that if this ever happens again I'd move my entire insurance business (exceeding THB 100'000/year) away. She flushed, stuttered something of "solly too mut" and then we parted. 

Guess what, the learning curve worked and ever since - everything in order. Yet it would never stop me to keep on checking. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/06/2017 at 11:05 AM, fittobethaied said:

You've got to watch them like a hawk.  My renewal is due in July, so I asked for the 5-10% discount this year for having installed a dashcam.  I filled out the application and sent off the required photos, the received back an email with my renewal notice.  Typed in bold letters was the wording that this renewal included a discount for the dashcam.  The coverage dropped by 30,000 because the car is one year older, but the premium was only around 200 baht less than last year, and that was supposed to be inclusive of the dashcam discount which just didn't add up as for as I was concerned. So, I asked for a quotation for renewal without consideration given for the dashcam, and the figure came back exactly the same.  I changed insurance companies and wound up with a much lower premium for more coverage.  Go figure!

I remember reading the article about it. I've looked in The Nation, but can't find it. I did manage to find it in the newspaper we can't mention. That was dated 17 March this year.
It said that dashcam discounts were not  an option, and regulators have stressed all insurance companies must give motorists discounts of 5-10% on auto insurance premiums for all vehicles equipped with closed-circuit TV systems (CCTVs) or be fined. (Hope it's OK to paraphrase that).

My wife has just had a phone call from her insurance company. When I got got her to call back and ask for the discount, as they had no knowledge we had a dashcam, initially they said they'd get an agent to come round and photograph it. Great!

Then they changed their minds and said the "promotion" had now ended. Yeah.

Can someone here enlighten as to who the "regulator" might be, so I can try and find a phone number to contact them about this?