SURVEY: Should Thailand require Health Insurance for Foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

• All foreigners should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.
    • Those entering as a tourist should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.
    • Those on a visa that permits longer stay than a tourist should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.
    • No one should be required to show proof of health/accident insurance.

This poll is closed to new votes

All this talk about the cost of the insurance, but I don't see much concern about the execution of it, such as what medical facilities will be available etc.  And then there's claims, payout etc.  I think most of us here know this will be another corruption gravy train.

A tourist returns to Europe, files a claim for money laid out for covered medical problems, and in return receives a check from a Thai insurance company?  That's a good one!  :cheesy:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

As stated this could and will be a nightmare at arrivals.

There is an easy  solution that can be arrived at.

A seperate set of kiosks can and should be established by 3 major Thai insurance companies.  They should be allowed to charge more than an american or British company would charged for the same fees.  This is to encourage people to get it at home.

There should be one time fees for each type of visa  For instance 30 day should be X  90 day should be 4X payable in full by cash or credit cards.

From there they are given a slip that they can show immigration and can be checked on the computer if necessary.

If they do not have the paper or proof then they are simply told to go and get it.

People like us that are here on long term visa's should be allowed to go through the Thai system instead of the tourist as we have long term permissions.

Have police or military at the entrance so that if anyone starts to argue they are simply taken away before they have a chance to screw it up.

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

As stated this could and will be a nightmare at arrivals.

There is an easy  solution that can be arrived at.

A seperate set of kiosks can and should be established by 3 major Thai insurance companies.  They should be allowed to charge more than an american or British company would charged for the same fees.  This is to encourage people to get it at home.

There should be one time fees for each type of visa  For instance 30 day should be X  90 day should be 4X payable in full by cash or credit cards.

From there they are given a slip that they can show immigration and can be checked on the computer if necessary.

If they do not have the paper or proof then they are simply told to go and get it.

People like us that are here on long term visa's should be allowed to go through the Thai system instead of the tourist as we have long term permissions.

Have police or military at the entrance so that if anyone starts to argue they are simply taken away before they have a chance to screw it up.

I like your ideas and agree with them however to implement the proposals and find a corrupt free system

would be a nightmare .Remember Immigration can not even get their own computer data base working regards 90 day reporting

I have just noticed on the latest version of the income letter request from the UK embassy they are asking if you have insurance.

When I used to come here on relatively short visits I always had insurance. I had an annual policy which had a restriction of 45 days for any single trip. Even though I am from the UK when I go back I always take out travel insurance for myself as well as my wife. I am 70 years old and do not have a problem getting that kind of insurance. People should realise that there is a significant difference between travel insurance and health insurance.

Most people entering Thailand have health insurance in their own country but most are not payable outside their country. If anything serious occurs to foreign residents they would return to their own country. Accident insurance is another story and most companies will not insure anyone over 70 except at ridiculous figures. That goes for health as well.

I didn't vote, as the I'm missing the option for an affordable mandatory expat/migrant insurance; for example government controlled for public/government hospitals, which could be based on actual costs the previous year, plus an estimated overhead. We saw estimates in the news-feed some years ago, when it was debated – often based on Phuket-hospitals claiming they loose money on unpaid bills from foreigners, both tourists and expats – and that figurs seemed very reasonable, if my memory serves me right (without googling). If such an insurance exists, I think it's fair to claim mandatory insurance by migrants/expats, and also that shorter term tourists has a travel insurance, which normally are very affordable.

However, that does not stop some tourists from activities, or previous health conditions, not covered by the insurance...:whistling:

Becoming a nanny state with onerous regulations is a slippery slope.  How about mandatory drug and STD testing/certificates.  Do like the Trumpies and demand social media passwords?  No thanks.  Part of why I live here;  its freedom.

I don't want insurance.  Most of it is garbage and a rip off.  I worked and saved and they all take cash, thank you.

To anyone who thinks mandatory insurance is a good idea....

your-ass-must-get-jealous.jpg

I have an accident insurance policy with a Thailand insurance company. Had it for 10 years and never made a claim yet. But that's OK, I have it and if I ever have an accident then I have some cover.

I'm in my late 60s and have good health. Take care of myself, don't smoke, limit my beer intake, eat vegetarian. When I need to see a doctor I go to the local hospital or a clinic and pay cash. It's never much, often less than I'd pay for a night out and a meal.

Being forced to pay high premiums for health care cover would pretty well be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I'd move to another country....which is just what Thailand wants with all these anti-foreigner plans they keep introducing and planning. 

4 hours ago, maybefitz said:

At 79, on retirement extension, impossible to get insurance. I have an emergency fund, but wife borrows into it, so no proof in a bank account. I'd be stuck if they brought this in. I don't have the option of returning to UK, aim to see my life out here.

I was able to obtain a life policy, health and accident cover at 65, and it lasts until I am 80, if I don't fall of the perch first.  Anybody who does not have cover, tourist or otherwise is a dang fool.  I do understand that there are people here who cannot afford cover but to come to  foreign country, without sufficient funds, is also foolish.:wai:

37 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

I was able to obtain a life policy, health and accident cover at 65, and it lasts until I am 80, if I don't fall of the perch first.  Anybody who does not have cover, tourist or otherwise is a dang fool.  I do understand that there are people here who cannot afford cover but to come to  foreign country, without sufficient funds, is also foolish.:wai:

Maybe you could name the company and cost would be helpful to many

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Enter without Insurance Card should be impossible. To check this by entry Passportcontrol is not that Problem. Many exaggerate here. A lot Foreigners here have no insurance and make their problem to the problem of Thailand Health System.

No!!! This is not right!!! The most farangs who not have a insurance are in trouble about accidents.

Why this country let everyone rent a motorbike or car without a proper driving license?

Why this rental companies not be ordered to have a full insurance cover?

Just 2 things to do and the most problems are gone!!! Very easy!!!

Next thing were a cheap health insurance what every expat / tourist MUST have. Must buy at the airport or at the immigration. All expensive private hospitals are excluded. And everyone who use it must pay max. 6.000 THB per case from the own pocket. No age or previous illness limit. 

5 minutes ago, al007 said:

Maybe you could name the company and cost would be helpful to many

It is AIA and the cost is from age 65 through to 80 is 100K per annum.  However, like most policies if claims are made then the premium can fluctuate slightly above the norm by about 15K per annum.  If no claims are made the premium remains the same for the total period.  Now if I was to fall of the perch, my missus gets 1million.  It  is not a motza but it will certainly help.:wai:

2 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

It is AIA and the cost is from age 65 through to 80 is 100K per annum.  However, like most policies if claims are made then the premium can fluctuate slightly above the norm by about 15K per annum.  If no claims are made the premium remains the same for the total period.  Now if I was to fall of the perch, my missus gets 1million.  It  is not a motza but it will certainly help.:wai:

Interesting what is the limit of cover, does it cover outpatient, and does it just cease at 80

5 hours ago, maybefitz said:

At 79, on retirement extension, impossible to get insurance. I have an emergency fund, but wife borrows into it, so no proof in a bank account. I'd be stuck if they brought this in. I don't have the option of returning to UK, aim to see my life out here.

Thank you for your post

You sound a nice caring man, who lets the wife dip into the fund

Stay happy Sir, with a caring wife and her Thai friends I believe even in the event of sickness you will be taken care of, I have been here 10 yrs, to form this opinion

Let the scaremongers scare them selves, yes there are risks , I still drive in Thailand, I still drink the local whiskey, I get the odd massage, and I get some affordable medical care at the government hospitals

The theorists will send us both home, but as a very happy man I am staying, and as you have stated thats your view as well

8 minutes ago, al007 said:

Interesting what is the limit of cover, does it cover outpatient, and does it just cease at 80

The limit of cover is however long you are hospital bound, however should you be discharged early and go back in with a month then you are still covered.  Any longer than to claim for the same problem is held over for 3 months.

They have hospitals, private and government that they do deals with to keep costs down but it does not cover outpatients.  As those costs are miniscule why would anyone worry about outpatients.  However, if you attend outpatients and are admitted from there those costs are covered.  And yes, it does cease at 80.:wai: 

3 minutes ago, al007 said:

Thank you for your post

You sound a nice caring man, who lets the wife dip into the fund

Stay happy Sir, with a caring wife and her Thai friends I believe even in the event of sickness you will be taken care of, I have been here 10 yrs, to form this opinion

Let the scaremongers scare them selves, yes there are risks , I still drive in Thailand, I still drink the local whiskey, I get the odd massage, and I get some affordable medical care at the government hospitals

The theorists will send us both home, but as a very happy man I am staying, and as you have stated thats your view as well

Do you think Thailand is a charity ? Do they have an NHS? do you think that somebody that has come from a first-world country to impose themselves on one that is barely able to support their own, needs your problems as well?

3 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

The limit of cover is however long you are hospital bound, however should you be discharged early and go back in with a month then you are still covered.  Any longer than to claim for the same problem is held over for 3 months.

They have hospitals, private and government that they do deals with to keep costs down but it does not cover outpatients.  As those costs are miniscule why would anyone worry about outpatients.  However, if you attend outpatients and are admitted from there those costs are covered.  And yes, it does cease at 80.:wai: 

Thank you I will get a copy from my local AIA

Not to be the doom and gloom merchant, but my outpatient last year was around 350,000baht, chemotherapy and radiation, at government hospital generally treated as out patient, I self funded /paid 

I would pay some kind of tax That protects thailands hospitals from runners.

But depends on how much.

If all 32 million visitors  paid into this i would expect about 50 bht  a person tax to cover the 50 million they keep winging about.

But i suspect they will try to gouge the visitors with 1000 bht . And provide no coverage of any kind.

Just now, al007 said:

Thank you I will get a copy from my local AIA

Not to be the doom and gloom merchant, but my outpatient last year was around 350,000baht, chemotherapy and radiation, at government hospital generally treated as out patient, I self funded /paid 

Sorry to hear that, I, at this stage, touch wood, and, to my knowledge, have nothing like the dreaded C.  Unfortunately, they do not cover pre-existing illnesses and put you through a thorough medical examination before they will cover you.  I do not know where you live but I attend the university hospital in Khon Kaen and highly recommend them.  They have an excellent cancer department but I only know this through word of mouth.

I had three operations there in the past three years and the total bill came to less than 100K  And this included a private room with western style food that they sourced from outside the hospital, all without being asked. One drawback is that at this hospital they ensure you pay first and you then have to claim on the insurer. It takes only a month for a full reimbursement. I live 225 kilometres from the hospital and have no qualms in driving there for the treatment that I rate very highly.:wai:

6 minutes ago, the guest said:

Do you think Thailand is a charity ? Do they have an NHS? do you think that somebody that has come from a first-world country to impose themselves on one that is barely able to support their own, needs your problems as well?

I do not fully understand your post

However may I elaborate a little, I do not think or believe Thailand to be a charity

Thailand does not have a full NHS like the UK, however generally no long waiting times, a large proportion of the population are covered on the 30Baht scheme, Government employees, police, Armed Forces and Teachers get enhanced care

I did impose on the Government Healthcare last year, but I paid from my own pocket around 350,000baht, for the treatment I received, I neither requested a discount nor received one

I hope this may help you understand my post a little better

God Bless

Have to sell cars or land or property in wife's name. Eventually should put back the 600,000 bt borrowed. Healthy at the moment.

Sounds good, till she is actually put in the position.
A friend of mine's wife was put in that position. House in ChiangMai and truck both in her name. She failed the test. He contracted cancer, she saw the writing on the wall, chose not to help, so he died.
I hope yours does better than that.

Any foreigner living here long term and MARRIED to a Thai, should automatically have access to the Thai system for medical coverage..
Thats the way it works in most countries as far as i know....If she is your wife (Husnband) then it's natural to be included in the country's system, of that person....if not, why not?

Why? Depends on your circumstances. Maybe because you didn't contribute to the taxation system? You want to freeload on the citizens of another country?

3 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Sorry to hear that, I, at this stage, touch wood, and, to my knowledge, have nothing like the dreaded C.  Unfortunately, they do not cover pre-existing illnesses and put you through a thorough medical examination before they will cover you.  I do not know where you live but I attend the university hospital in Khon Kaen and highly recommend them.  They have an excellent cancer department but I only know this through word of mouth.

I had three operations there in the past three years and the total bill came to less than 100K  And this included a private room with western style food that they sourced from outside the hospital, all without being asked. One drawback is that at this hospital they ensure you pay first and you then have to claim on the insurer. It takes only a month for a full reimbursement. I live 225 kilometres from the hospital and have no qualms in driving there for the treatment that I rate very highly.:wai:

Thank you

I am one of those with no insurance

I live KhonKaen, but go for treatment to Chulalongkorn govt hospital BKK, probably the leading cancer hospital in Thailand, their equipment is much more upto date than either KhonKaen or the Udon Cancer hospital

Currently my 3mthly check ups cost around 25,000 each time, as outpatient, if I am lucky I will hit the 200,000, meaning I am still alive ! !!!

My hospital of Choice locally is Srinarikin, at the university, I have regular long lists of blood tests there, and have friends who have good things done there as well

On the private hospitals in KhonKaen there are many disturbing stories, some of which I have encountered first hand

There is a lot of discussion on TV as to whether or not a person should be insured, to which of course there are two sides, and many can not afford insurance

You have an interesting policy but for many retirees here, it is still too expensive, many on retirement and marriage visas, find ways to bypass the financial requirements

I believe this whole problem has to be picked up by the Thai Government, charge say 500 batt per entry, plus 500 batt every 90 day report, let the government set the payment level where it will provide additional sums for the hospitals

It's all very well saying that 'everyone must have insurance', but as already pointed out, anyone over 60 will find it both difficult and expensive to get any insurance, and if they have any pre-existing conditions, it becomes almost impossible. And how many people who come to Thailand are over 60? A high percentage, I would imagine. And they probably put more into the Thai economy than young families who don't have the same disposable income.

I said this in the other thread, but the only way I see around it is to have a mandatory fee that must be paid on entry (or exit, which might be easier) by everyone - 500 Baht perhaps (500 Baht X 30 million visitors = 15 billion Baht) which would cover everyone for basic healthcare at a state hospital. The majority of visitors would prefer to have insurance that will provide a higher level of care in a private hospital, so only a small percentage would, if the need arose, have to be treated under the state scheme.

It's not a perfect system, but 500 Baht is not so much that people would refuse to pay (or refuse to come to Thailand). We used to have a 500 Baht departure tax, and everyone just paid it. We may have grumbled a bit, but it wasn't a bank-breaking sum.

Also, the idea of having to check everyone's insurance is just a non-starter.

More than 500. 2000. Still way way less than I pay in Aus for travel insurance before coming to Thailand.

11 minutes ago, bheard said:

Sounds good, till she is actually put in the position.
A friend of mine's wife was put in that position. House in ChiangMai and truck both in her name. She failed the test. He contracted cancer, she saw the writing on the wall, chose not to help, so he died.
I hope yours does better than that.

And thats OK by me, as a man with two lots of cancer

But so far my wife still loves me, maybe I have her better trained

She is under very strict instructions to sign nothing if I am admitted from ME

bheard try being nice to people rather than scaring them

REMEMBER what goes around comes around

I think that the Thai Govt will introduce mandatory insurance for tourists - but it will be cheap and easy to get. TAT will make sure of that. But it will only last the standard 30-60 days. The main reason the Govt wants to do something is all the tourists turning up with injuries at the hospitals who dont have insurance. The other reason is the foreign workers who dont have insurance and who dont pay - or do things like leave their baby because they cant pay (apparently a lot).

The long-term Visa visitors/residents are another issue - and the Govt is not that interested about us Expats (foreigners who live all/most of year in Thailand).  There is not that many who 'default' - the Govt will only deal with this IMO if too many Expats default/die in hospital without insurance. 

A previous poster mentioned travel insurance. For those Expats who return home once a year or so, I would recommend getting this every time you leave and come to Thailand. A policy can last up to 12 months (in Aus) and can then be extended another 6 mths (18mths total). These policies only cover you for one 'accident' or a sudden serious illness (not pre-existing) , and can include repatriation costs - and they cost only a few hundred $Aus. I once checked this out for a UK Expat and found similar travel insurance was available - he had no idea. 

For some reason you have to 'travel' to get travel insurance type medical policy in any country. They all want to cover you for all medical expenses - and they cost way too much in Thailand - they are about the same as in US (no doubt they set Expat premiums at US levels).

For those Expats n Thailand permanently, and over 60, there is no cost effective option available. Perhaps the Govt will look into a cheaper policy that covers Expats in Public Hospitals only, but I am certain the Private Hospital 'industry' will cry foul if they ever  do, and the idea would be canned. Still, one lives in hope.

1 minute ago, al007 said:

Thank you

I am one of those with no insurance

I live KhonKaen, but go for treatment to Chulalongkorn govt hospital BKK, probably the leading cancer hospital in Thailand, their equipment is much more upto date than either KhonKaen or the Udon Cancer hospital

Currently my 3mthly check ups cost around 25,000 each time, as outpatient, if I am lucky I will hit the 200,000, meaning I am still alive ! !!!

My hospital of Choice locally is Srinarikin, at the university, I have regular long lists of blood tests there, and have friends who have good things done there as well

On the private hospitals in KhonKaen there are many disturbing stories, some of which I have encountered first hand

There is a lot of discussion on TV as to whether or not a person should be insured, to which of course there are two sides, and many can not afford insurance

You have an interesting policy but for many retirees here, it is still too expensive, many on retirement and marriage visas, find ways to bypass the financial requirements

I believe this whole problem has to be picked up by the Thai Government, charge say 500 batt per entry, plus 500 batt every 90 day report, let the government set the payment level where it will provide additional sums for the hospitals

So very sorry to hear that.  Just keep you head high.  I do not know myself but have a lawyer friend who went to the cancer hospital at Srenakerin University and he told me it is very up to date.  He was there maybe 6 months ago.  I really don't know myself but if it has been awhile then maybe a visit could put your mind at ease.

It's bad enough having the dreaded disease let alone having to put up with the stress of all that travel and expense.  I don't know the cost there but inquiries there may alleviate some stressful times.  Go check it out, you could be surprised.  I understand that many people are not as fortunate as I and I feel for them with being in a new country and not knowing what may come their way.

Yes, I think the government, if they sat down and were fair dinkum, could work something out for those who live here permanently.  They would still have to pay a reasonable amount in regards to the premiums but I do not believe that they should subsidise those costs.  in so far as tourists, they should not be allowed to leave their destination without insurance. 

When I used to travel here prior to retiring I would never travelled without cover as I had pre-existing ailments, a new knee and a fused ankle.  It cost me a little more, I had to be screened and answer questions by a Medical person, who after discussions with the head honchos, cover was offered at a cost of A220 which was only A100 above the normal cost.  If tourist cannot afford between 100 and say 300 dollars for cover, then they should not travel.:wai:

I see by the vote that 46% of Thai Visa are living the dream as long as nothing happens to them.

They should set up a scheme that is allied to all annual visa extensions for accident & health policies.

I reckon a premium of 30,000 Bht a year should cover guys over 50  (2,500 Bht a month)

Why should Thailand look after us when their own health scheme struggles to look after their own.

Most of these retirees have paid no taxes in this country & even complain about the present 800,000 Bht

requirement which is still theirs,

Send the cheap charlies home