Retirement extension - risk of missing renewal date

I have a retirement extension which expires on 8 July. I've left it a bit late to get my pension letter from the British Embassy and there is a risk it may not arrive in time. As I'm outside Thailand at the moment I will have to post my application to the Embassy and previous experience with Thailand Post suggests it will take longer than expected to arrive. I don't have the alternative option of cash in the bank to fall back on. What happens if I can't renew the extension by 8 July? Do I have to start the process all over again i.e. apply for a non-O or OA visa and then extend?

Yes you are definitively toasted, and have to do it all over again. When doing these things as extensions, you cannot be so tight with your schedules. That is like asking for troubles. 

Change your airticket, come here earlier, or take the consequences..

Glegolo

What method of post are you using?

You should be using EMS to send and for return.

Trackable, signed for and takes 2 days delivery at most.

Never not known a Pension Income letter from the British Embassy returned within 10 days using EMS.

• Like 1

Just curious, you will be posting your passport too when you apply for your extension ? I wasn't aware you could do this procedure when you were outside Thailand . How do you ensure they return your passport to ( I'm guessing ) your home country ?

1 minute ago, Ooladolla said:

Just curious, you will be posting your passport too when you apply for your extension ? I wasn't aware you could do this procedure when you were outside Thailand . How do you ensure they return your passport to ( I'm guessing ) your home country ?

You need to read the OP again.

He is getting his income letter from UK embassy by post prove the income needed for his extension of stay application.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

Has anyone from the USA received their yearly status letter from Social Security for retirement. I keep looking for mine. The postman here cannot be trusted.

A couple of posts about getting them in Chiang Mai already.

A little early to be worry about it since they don't mail them until June 1st. 

Topic here in the home country forum.

You should have time, mine has always come back one week after it was posted.

I am sure that I have seen someone post that he sent it in by email using the credit card form and then got it back by EMS. Nothing lost in sending an email to find out as that could be done from outside Thailand.

I have just noticed that on the latest version of the letter request, the embassy are asking if you have insurance.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to read the OP again.

He is getting his income letter from UK embassy by post prove the income needed for his extension of stay application.

2 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

I'll be back in Thailand to apply for the extension, just posting my income letter application from abroad.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You should have time, mine has always come back one week after it was posted.

I am sure that I have seen someone post that he sent it in by email using the credit card form and then got it back by EMS. Nothing lost in sending an email to find out as that could be done from outside Thailand.

I have just noticed that on the latest version of the letter request, the embassy are asking if you have insurance.

I noticed that too but it doesn't say what kind of insurance they mean...........travel, medical, life?? I ticked the box anyway as I have two out of three.

Has anyone from the USA received their yearly status letter from Social Security for retirement. I keep looking for mine. The postman here cannot be trusted.

Yes, I just received mine yesterday 10 June 2017

I was going to post this elsewhere but I will do it here

I received my U.S. Social Security address reconfirmation form at my Thai residence address here in Bangkok yesterday 10 June 2017 by the afternoon  international mail.

It was dated 3 June 2017, so it took 7 days to get here from the U.S.

I will sign it and mail it back by EMS  at the local Thai post office tomorrow (12 June 2017 with a dated receipt for the EMS mail.

This form has to be signed and dated  and retuned to verify my Thai address to continue my monthly U.S. Social Security  pension from the U.S.

I normally photocopy the EMS mail receipt as proof it was mailed.

If you are retired and living in Thailand the U.S. Social Security requires the retuned and signed form to show you are still alive and at the same residence address;

I always get a receipt and photo copy it from the EMS as proof of mailing. date.

You must check that your mailing address is correct, as if the U.S. Social Security has the address wrong they can stop your pension.

It has previously happened to me, and it took me 3 months to correct their mistake.

Required a trip back to the U.S. to correct in person  to restore my pension.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Comments added

As you are out of the country at the moment, send the paperwork DHL or similar to the embassy (2-3 days). From arrival it will take a week or so max, so as long as you back in Thailand by the 8th to do it, you are fine.

17 hours ago, roquefort said:

I noticed that too but it doesn't say what kind of insurance they mean...........travel, medical, life?? I ticked the box anyway as I have two out of three.

Quite, but that's the UK government for you, clear as mud.