Gulf leaders trade barbs as Qatar dispute shows no let-up

rooster59

Gulf leaders trade barbs as Qatar dispute shows no let-up

By Katie Paul

640x640 (7).jpg

A view shows buildings in Doha, Qatar, June 9, 2017. REUTERS/Naseem Zeitoon/Files

RIYADH (Reuters) - Gulf states traded public barbs on Saturday, showing little sign of resolving the region's deepest rift in years, five days after Arab nations severed diplomatic, trade and transport ties with the tiny Gulf kingdom of Qatar.

Foreign leaders expressed growing concern over the dispute, which pits Qatar against Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain and Egypt. With backing from U.S. President Donald Trump, they accuse Qatar of supporting their regional arch-rival Iran as well as Islamist militants.

Kuwait has led a regional effort to mediate, but the four states intensified the pressure on Friday by placing dozens of people with alleged links to Qatar on terrorism blacklists.

A senior UAE official followed on Saturday by calling Qatar "duplicitous", alleging in a series of tweets that its funding of militants had sown chaos and violence throughout the region.

"Qatar has been riding (the) tiger of extremism & terrorism. Cost to region & world too high," tweeted Anwar Gargash, the UAE minister of state for foreign affairs.

"Diplomacy only way forward. Process can only work following clear indication that Qatar will stop support & finance of extremism & terrorism."

"CLEAR AND TRANSPARENT"

Qatar's foreign minister fired back that there was "no clarity" in such accusations, speaking in an interview with RT Arabic in Moscow after emerging from talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

"Qatar is accused of having a hidden relationship with Iran, but its relations with Iran are clear, transparent and time-tested," said Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani, noting that the UAE does more trade with Iran than Qatar does.

He denied that Qatar supported Egypt's outlawed Islamist movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, and Hamas, the Palestinian Islamist group that controls the Gaza Strip. He dismissed as "fantasy" a Saudi media report that he had met in Baghdad with the head of Iran's Quds Force, controlled by Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards.

He said Qatar remained committed to a Kuwaiti-led mediation effort, but that he had yet to receive a clear list of demands.

As conciliation efforts in the Gulf appeared to stall, leaders in Russia, Turkey, Germany and the United States expressed increasing concern.

After German Chancellor Angela Merkel called the situation "very unsettling" on Friday, her foreign minister, Sigmar Gabriel, cautioned on Saturday that it could lead to war.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told Sheikh al-Thani of Moscow's concern and called for talks.

And Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan - who has pledged food and troops to Qatar in the face of a blockade from its neighbours - hosted Bahrain's foreign minister and urged that the dispute be resolved by the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

MIXED MESSAGES

However, mixed messages from U.S. officials appeared to complicate the diplomacy, as Gulf media cited selectively from divergent statements to bolster their positions.

Saudi Arabia and Bahrain issued statements welcoming U.S. President Donald Trump's demand the previous day for Qatar to stop supporting terrorism, while ignoring a U.S. State Department call for them to ease pressure.

Saudi Arabia said it was committed to "decisive and swift action to cut off all funding sources for terrorism" in a statement carried by the state news agency SPA, while Bahrain hailed U.S. efforts to ensure "international solidarity" on the issue.

The United Arab Emirates praised Trump's "leadership in challenging Qatar's troubling support for extremism" in a separate statement released on Friday.

Trump had accused Qatar of being a "high level" funder of terrorism on Friday, even as the Pentagon and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson cautioned against the military, commercial and humanitarian effects of a blockade imposed by Arab states and others.

A separate SPA report on Saturday acknowledged Tillerson's call for Qatar to curtail support for terrorism, without mentioning that he had also said the crisis was hurting ordinary Qataris, impairing business and harming the U.S. fight against the Islamic State militant group.

Saudi Arabia said its action followed the conclusions of last month's Arab Islamic American Summit in Riyadh, where Trump delivered a speech about Islamist extremism.

Trump said he had helped to plan the move against Qatar, although a senior administration official told Reuters this week that Washington had had no indication from the Saudis or Emiratis during the visit that they would sever ties with Qatar.

On Saturday, Niger announced it had recalled its ambassador to Qatar in solidarity with Arab countries.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-11

I would feel more inclined to agree with the pressure on Qatar to stop involvement with terrorism, if the people pointing the finger didn't have such dirty hands themselves. Maybe they should all agree to adopt the same measures themselves, that they are trying to impose on Qatar at the same time. If a level playing field is on offer, it would be more palatable for all concerned. And of course, a unified stand would have a better chance of success.

Edited by darksidedog

37 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

oh dear, got short memories this lot, re, the 7/11 terrorist attack, 15  were SAUDI,s-- 2 were from the  UAE, and 1 was from EGYPT.   perhaps someone needs to remind them

Which 7/11 did they attack?

I remember an attack on 9-11 which killed almost 3,000 souls from many countries.  I also remember that America has 10,000 US military based in Qatar and that Donald Trump greeting the Qatari head of Government without any mention of any outstanding issues.  It would appear  to me that Saudi Arabia: Egypt and the Emirates fear Al Jazeera telling the truth to its citizens much more than they fear ISIS.

Qatar allowing the Americans to use bases in their country to go after ISIS in the region shows me that the issue is not Quatar supporting terrorists but Qatar allowing the Moslem Brotherhood and Hamas  a safe haven.  Let's not forget that both of these groups were actually elected in both Egypt and Palestine.

Trump issuing a statement that he supports the Saudi's and the other countries that has broken relations is ridiculous and shows the ignorance of Trump and his minions. If he keeps opening his mouth- Qatar may just tell Trump to take the American troops and their planes and go  home.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I remember an attack on 9-11 which killed almost 3,000 souls from many countries.  I also remember that America has 10,000 US military based in Qatar and that Donald Trump greeting the Qatari head of Government without any mention of any outstanding issues.  It would appear  to me that Saudi Arabia: Egypt and the Emirates fear Al Jazeera telling the truth to its citizens much more than they fear ISIS.

Qatar allowing the Americans to use bases in their country to go after ISIS in the region shows me that the issue is not Quatar supporting terrorists but Qatar allowing the Moslem Brotherhood and Hamas  a safe haven.  Let's not forget that both of these groups were actually elected in both Egypt and Palestine.

Trump issuing a statement that he supports the Saudi's and the other countries that has broken relations is ridiculous and shows the ignorance of Trump and his minions. If he keeps opening his mouth- Qatar may just tell Trump to take the American troops and their planes and go  home.

Al Jazeera tells whatever the Qatari regime wants it to tell. It doesn't do "truth" with regard to Qatar, or anything which might cause embarrassment to its masters.

And doubtful that Qatar would terminate US military presence. That's about the best shield it's got against aggression from neighbors. Can't see any of them trying something of the sort and risking hitting US forces.

Edited by Morch

This was a bit too much back up from Trump for his new Saudi friends.
Trump probably did not think very much.
What happens with the largest US military presence in Arabia?
This is known in Qatar.
Now Trump sits in a stupid pinch.

Amateurism, stupid and short-sighted foreign policy.
Thus the US government deprives itself of its strategic alternatives by its own stupidity.
If you invite the devil, you must also dance with him.
The opportunity to reduce or weaken the US military presence on the Arabian Peninsula,
that will be used by his new saudi friends.

33 minutes ago, Morch said:

Al Jazeera tells whatever the Qatari regime wants it to tell. It doesn't do "truth" with regard to Qatar, or anything which might cause embarrassment to its masters.

And doubtful that Qatar would terminate US military presence. That's about the best shield it's got against aggression from neighbors. Can't see any of them trying something of the sort and risking hitting US forces.

Where Qatar has an a strong interest in the subject, as for example when the subject is itself, most definitely. But when not, not.

26 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Where Qatar has an a strong interest in the subject, as for example when the subject is itself, most definitely. But when not, not.

Silly argumentation, once more. In other words, anything of substance which is not to the regime's liking, may not be published. Which is pretty much what was said. The bottom line is that Al Jazeera (without even getting into the differences between it's Arabic and English versions) is not exactly free to publish "the truth" as claimed earlier.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Silly argumentation, once more. In other words, anything of substance which is not to the regime's liking, may not be published. Which is pretty much what was said. The bottom line is that Al Jazeera (without even getting into the differences between it's Arabic and English versions) is not exactly free to publish "the truth" as claimed earlier.

It is naïve to think any News Channel is totally free from bias. However, when I first watched Al Jazeera I was surprised, expecting it to be so blatantly biased as to be a joke. Compared to RT I think it is in a similar class to the BBC (which itself is far from unbiased).

1 minute ago, Expatwannabee said:

It is naïve to think any News Channel is totally free from bias. However, when I first watched Al Jazeera I was surprised, expecting it to be so blatantly biased as to be a joke. Compared to RT I think it is in a similar class to the BBC (which itself is far from unbiased).

The BBC is free to criticize pretty much anything relating to the UK government, and often does. It also reports on matters which may cause embarrassment to the UK government. There is no censorship in place on par with Qatar/Al Jazeera. And again, most posters focus on the English edition, whereas most audiences in ME countries would follow the Arabic one. They are not identical in terms of coverage or tone.

2 hours ago, Morch said:

All news stations are subject to editorial /ownership approval. AJ is certainly more free than any media outlet in the repressive countries currently attacking Qatar.

I have seen many debates on Al Jazeera where all parties are allowed to express their point of view..frequently many discussions including Israeli spokespeople.

AJ now banned in Saudi and Emiratis facing prison sentence of 3-15 years and a fine of no less than $136,000 for disagreeing with UAE government or expressing sympathy for Qatar on social media.  Strange bedfellows indeed for Trump's land of the free.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/06/bizarre-decisions-gulf-qatar-crisis-170611075123926.html

2 minutes ago, dexterm said:

All news stations are subject to editorial /ownership approval. AJ is certainly more free than any media outlet in the repressive countries currently attacking Qatar.

I have seen many debates on Al Jazeera where all parties are allowed to express their point of view..frequently many discussions including Israeli spokespeople.

AJ now banned in Saudi and Emiratis facing prison sentence of 3-15 years and a fine of no less than $136,000 for disagreeing with UAE government or expressing sympathy for Qatar on social media.  Strange bedfellows indeed for Trump's land of the free.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/06/bizarre-decisions-gulf-qatar-crisis-170611075123926.html

Twist away.

Never said media outlets in Qatar's neighbors enjoy freedom of press or that they are better. My comments were with regard to the unbridled adulation expressed for Al Jazeera. The term you're looking for is "relatively", but then you often deny the concept, when it suits, so eh...

In case you did not understand (and I doubt that's the case) my posts are not in support of Qatar's neighbors, or are against Qatar. Simply offering a balance lacking in some views expressed.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

Twist away.

Never said media outlets in Qatar's neighbors enjoy freedom of press or that they are better. My comments were with regard to the unbridled adulation expressed for Al Jazeera. The term you're looking for is "relatively", but then you often deny the concept, when it suits, so eh...

In case you did not understand (and I doubt that's the case) my posts are not in support of Qatar's neighbors, or are against Qatar. Simply offering a balance lacking in some views expressed.

No twist involved .... Just stating a fact that Al Jazeera is a relatively free news outlet compared to those belonging to countres attacking it.

If any "twist" it is your exaggerated interpretation of comments about Qatar's AJ as "unbridled adulation'". You betray your prejudice against the respected news station, probably because it reveals information about countries in the Middle East that no other ME news outlet dares to do apart from Israel's Haaretz.

Edited by dexterm

I have watched Al Jazeera news and thought it was good quality and pretty accurate.  I have not watched

any Saudi Arabia news, as they do not seem to have any English news available, and if they did  it would likely

resemble NK news, with that irritating lady who dresses funny.  I hav never seen any Egypt news in English either.

Just wondering what these countrires and the UAE have for news stations in English language.

Geezer

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have watched Al Jazeera news and thought it was good quality and pretty accurate.  I have not watched

any Saudi Arabia news, as they do not seem to have any English news available, and if they did  it would likely

resemble NK news, with that irritating lady who dresses funny.  I hav never seen any Egypt news in English either.

Just wondering what these countrires and the UAE have for news stations in English language.

Geezer

They all do. Not as bad as NK, but censorship, heavy handed control and propaganda are readily evident.

7 hours ago, dexterm said:

No twist involved .... Just stating a fact that Al Jazeera is a relatively free news outlet compared to those belonging to countres attacking it.

If any "twist" it is your exaggerated interpretation of comments about Qatar's AJ as "unbridled adulation'". You betray your prejudice against the respected news station, probably because it reveals information about countries in the Middle East that no other ME news outlet dares to do apart from Israel's Haaretz.

So relativity does exist. Intriguing. After so many posts in which the concept was denied.

I am not prejudiced against Al Jazeera, simply not fanboy, like yourself. Keeping it real when it comes to how much freedom it gets, and on which topics. So once more, Al Jazeera is a mouthpiece of the Qatari regime. That it suits the Qatari regime's purposes to allow it a certain measure of freedom is not the same as labeling Al Jazeera as anything resembling them much derided Western MSM sources.