Lending money to a Thai relative, legal advise?

douglasspade

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

If your post was not a wind up, it must be the worst written / thought out post of all times!

Since you did not bother to clear up this so called misunderstanding until now, I can only assume that it was a wind up.

Whatever, wind up or stupidity, you have been wasting everybody's time.

Shame on you.

Actually, if you do read through the Post properly and thoroughly, you will get the message and the question.

It seems that most people on this is site is extremely apathetic, a lot to say know it all's, windbags of note.

I have had more than enough replies and comment's and a laugh here and there. I have solved my predicament. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to my 'silly' problem.

3 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

Actually, if you do read through the Post properly and thoroughly, you will get the message and the question.

It seems that most people on this is site is extremely apathetic, a lot to say know it all's, windbags of note.

I have had more than enough replies and comment's and a laugh here and there. I have solved my predicament. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to my 'silly' problem.

On page 1 of your thread there were 5 posters that "misunderstood" you.

On page 2 of your thread you liked 2 posts.

It was only on page 3 that you said the roof thing was only an example - many hours after your first post.

A wind up, stupidity and / or total disrespect for your fellow posters.

Shame on you.

1 minute ago, Thongkorn said:

If you lend Money at all to ANY Thai always ask for their  gold while they pay back the loan. if they dont pay you back sell the gold.

Good idea, but much easier to get their wives or daughters.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Yes it is human trafficking, but what is your point?

It is legal in Thailand, and accounts for 20% of GDP.

you have lost me , You are saying its Legal to sell your wife and daughter in Thailand 

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Shame on you.

Please read the original post please. You still haven't read it.  Again.... See the words " As an Example: " is stated clearly.

If you and the others had read the post thoroughly before jumping the gun, this thread would have been much more fun and informative.

Stop wasting thread space Please.

Shame is now on you!

52 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

Please read the original post please. You still haven't read it.  Again.... See the words " As an Example: " is stated clearly.

If you and the others had read the post thoroughly before jumping the gun, this thread would have been much more fun and informative.

Stop wasting thread space Please.

Shame is now on you!

"as an example"??? ...... You could fill a zillion pages with non relevant examples.

And why did it take 3 pages and many hours before you corrected the other posters' misunderstanding?

Shame on you.

On 6/13/2017 at 1:28 PM, balo said:

If your relatives can't afford to fix a roof , they must be very poor. And in  their eyes you are probably very rich.  If you love your family , give them 100k as a "loan" , but don't expect anything back .

If 100k is too much for you and you can't afford losing it , then just say NO. 

Years ago, my then-boyfriend's family was a victim of a scam. (<deleted> husband convinced his wife to "borrow" 100k from her employer, promising quick profits and a return of the cash within 24 hours. He then disappeared.) They desperately needed the 100k to avoid criminal prosecution.

They went to the Indian loan sharks and were struggling to pay the horrifying interest. Threats of violence and destruction of property were common. There were no men in the family.

My boyfriend asked me to lend his family the 100k. He was terrified his 14 year old brother would be beaten or killed.

I thought about it and told him I would not lend the money. His mother worked two jobs for little money already and I was not going to lean on them for repayment.

Instead, I offered to make it a gift, under two conditions.

1. They would not go back to the loan sharks.

2. This was a once-in-a-lifetime gift. They  were not to ask again.

Loanshark was paid off, no legs were broken, my status in the neighborhood rose markedly and 5 years on, there have been no other requests. We do help out monthly and are covering educational expenses for the kids. 

I feel good about it.

20 hours ago, oldhippy said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

eric thai replied:

you are so misinformed  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem Eric,

If you don't believe me, I will make up something else.

oldhippy

Just now, oldhippy said:

20 hours ago, oldhippy said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

eric thai replied:

you are so misinformed  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem Eric,

If you don't believe me, I will make up something else.

oldhippy

I think you are confusing prostitution and human trafficking, which neither are legal in Thailand. The Thai authorities may ignore things, but it's still illegal. The 20%  GDP is all tourism, not just the sex tourist 

1 minute ago, ericthai said:

I think you are confusing prostitution and human trafficking, which neither are legal in Thailand. The Thai authorities may ignore things, but it's still illegal. The 20%  GDP is all tourism, not just the sex tourist 

OK - I hereby promise never to try to be funny again.

By the way: tourism is NOT 20% of GDP, anyone that understands macro economics would know that (I used to be a lecturer in macro economics).

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

By the way: tourism is NOT 20% of GDP, anyone that understands macro economics would know that (I used to be a lecturer in macro economics).

Well if you can't get a real job they do say teach!

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sorry I was not sure if you were trying to be funny or not.  

Yes, the GDP is a little less than 20 around 17-18%.  I think Thailand not knowingly already includes the macro economics as the numbers that come from the govt are never really real. 

Just now, ericthai said:

Sorry I was not sure if you were trying to be funny or not.  

Yes, the GDP is a little less than 20 around 17-18%.  I think Thailand not knowingly already includes the macro economics as the numbers that come from the govt are never really real. 

I do not blame you for your statistical mistake, as it is very common.

I will save you the scientific explanation, but just think:

This would mean that roughly 17% of all Thais work in the tourist industry.

2% will be much closer!

On 6/12/2017 at 11:42 PM, Here It Is said:

Legal coverage? Are you pulling my ahem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEVER NEVER lend MONEY to a Thai person.....get them to get a bank loan.....farangs CAN NOT get a bank loan in Thailand thais would be able to get one  on proof of income

Mokwits 4th law: 'The demands expand to fit the money perceived to be available'.

Note: The word "borrow" in Thinglish is not directly translatable to the word "borrow' in English - "give" is a better translation.  Also "broken roof" is a variation of "sick buffalo". These stories are generally carefully crafted to create the impression that there will be much greater expense down the road if you don't PAY RIGHT NOW!

Secondly, be very careful of setting precedents - i.e. if you pay THB 100k for a roof then that is the "floor"  figure they perceive they should be able to get from you, so everything will cost THB 100k - if you pay for something above 100k that becomes the new floor.

Note this is all from observation, in keeping with everyone else on TV, the only Thai women I have been directly involved with were Hi So Thai Chinese who paid for everything themselves, had a Masters from Thammasat in Finance, skin so white it made Titanium Dioxide look yellow, and of course BIL was a Colonel in Immigration etc etc.