Proving relationship to sister

I'm planning to apply for the single-entry type O visa to enter Thailand.

My first question is can I apply based on visiting my sister? (not parent or child.)  

I'm also stuck on how to prove my relationship to her. Is it sufficient to submit pictures of her Thai passport and Thai ID? Must I have her birth certificate as well?

How have others done it?

I'm a US citizen living in Los Angeles.
My sister is a Thai citizen. She resides in Thailand on a consistent and permanent basis.  

I found the following sentence from the Thai Consulate, but it is not clear to me. 

To visit as an immediate family member of a Thai nationality
       - Documents proving such relationship with the visa application e.g., Birth Certificate and Thai Passport/ Thai I.D. of the parents who are Thai.

When they use the phrase immediate family member it normally means parents or children.

I suggest you contact the consulate to find out if they will issue a non-o to visit your sister. They can be flexible in their requirements. 

How did your sister obtain Thai citizenship?

• Like 1

Let me just guess.

if she is your sister, she must have at least one parent in common with  you.

Therefore if she is Thai and listed in a Thai family book and has a Thai I.D. card, it is very likely that you were also listed  to.

In fact, even if you were actually born in the U.S. you are legally a Thai dual national.

You have a right o a Thai passport by your dual nationality.

But to cut to the point, if your sister has a Thai I.D.. card  and/or a Thai passport, I am sure that a signed photocopy of one or both of them  would be enough to prove your relationship to her with  the Thai embassy/consulate.

Once you are in Thailand, if I was you, I would look into getting a Thai passport there as you qualify for dual Thai nationality in all likelihood .

Explore that issue with the Thai embassy/consulate to see what they say.

• Like 1

You mentioned in a previous post last week that you are already mentioned in a blue book and your father was born in Chang mai, I may be wrong but I think you are a thai citizen by birth.

could the embassy that you are trying to get the visa from not help you in reviving your citizenship or just get a tourist visa and when you are in Thailand then go through the process of sorting out evidence and getting an ID card and passport.

if you were In a blue book once you will still be in one somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Let me just guess.

if she is your sister, she must have at least one parent in common with  you.

Therefore if she is Thai and listed in a Thai family book and has a Thai I.D. card, it is very likely that you were also listed  to.

In fact, even if you were actually born in the U.S. you are legally a Thai dual national.

You have a right o a Thai passport by your dual nationality.

But to cut to the point, if your sister has a Thai I.D.. card  and/or a Thai passport, I am sure that a signed photocopy of one or both of them  would be enough to prove your relationship to her with  the Thai embassy/consulate.

Once you are in Thailand, if I was you, I would look into getting a Thai passport there as you qualify for dual Thai nationality in all likelihood .

Explore that issue with the Thai embassy/consulate to see what they say.

Would make her step sister not blood sister I guess & that may where lie the problem, but as mentioned he's auto Thai as his father is Thai

• Like 1

Would this be a solution?  Why come over as a tourist on a 30 day on arrival, go visit your Sister and get all the pertinent documents and then go to Immigration for an extension at a minimum.  Sort it all out here instead of long distance. Much easier and more efficient that way.  If you are of Thai descent get that all sorted out here as well where all the documents are located.

• Like 1

UbonJoe: My sister got Thai citizenship through marriage, I assume/think. (Still together, with grandchildren now) 

Ima_Farang: My sister and I have the same parents.

I think we're on the same page. My game plan is to enter Thailand using single-entry type O and switch to "extension based on retirement" if the citizenship path turns out to be a dead end. I will definitely pursue citizenship once in Thailand. I'm also paving a backup way to stay.

My dad's birth may be difficult to prove. I believe we have no record of it and the family only lived in Chiang Mai for a brief period after my father's birth (1930's). Therefore, there's no one who can vouch for us.

11 minutes ago, Jiraa said:

UbonJoe: My sister got Thai citizenship through marriage, I assume/think. (Still together, with grandchildren now) 

I was just curious it she had gotten citizenship for being Thai from birth.

You might want to contact the honorary consulate in Portland about getting the non-o visa. At one time they were reported as accepting applications by mail. The honorary consulates can be a little more flexible about their requirements. Website: http://www.thai-or.com/

If you are 50 year old or over you could get a single entry non-o from them on that basis for retirement.

• Like 1