Video: Who is to blame for this? Lucky escape for couple on expressway

webfact

First rule of driving in any country

Beware of the Merc, especially the convertible driven by anyone with white hair.

I think there is a loyalty card system for Mercs. In this case the MB driver has managed to force another driver to stop for no reason (100 points) and thus caused the car behind to get hit by a truck (500 points). When you reach 50000 points you are eligible for a discount on a slightly bigger Merc to cause even more mayhem.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The driver with the dashcam provoked the MB driver. It actually is the dashcam driver that is blocking traffic on the right side of the road. The MB driver was probably already speeding, but it is not up to the dashcam driver to enforce law on the road. 

The only victim in this video is the truck driver and like the intelligent people know, a truck needs about 3 x the lenght of road to come to a full stop at any speed. He apparently was able to avoid a full on collission, that he hits the dashcam driver is just a result of trying to staying on the road and avoiding other accidents with oncoming traffic. The poor guy probably needs a new pair of pants after this.

The MB driver actually endangered lives and if found will be prosecuted as such but the dashcam driver will be prosecuted as well for unnecessarely blocking traffic while he has to drive on the left side of the road.

5 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

While the driver with the dashcam was driving a little slow, he did move over to allow the mercedes to pass. Its not like he stayed in the lane and was a jerk. Mercedes caused this entire accident in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is an assumption.

It is very clear in the video he switched to the most right lane for absolutely no reason.  It is safe to assume that he was driving at the same or slightly higher speed than the car left of him that we didn't see in the video. And we see the truck driving at its maximum speed on the left side of the road while he is being passed by by the dash cam driver. 

But the MB driver shouldn't have made the dashcam driver stop, totally irresponsible behaviour.

6 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

This driver is clearly hogging the 'overtaking'  lane far too long at a relatively low speed and completely oblivious to the situation.

They had plenty time and opportunity  to have moved over into the middle lane way before the event.

The MB driver no doubt was tailgating and flashing lights for them to move over and understandable got very frustrated. (who of you hasn't in this situation ) , 

In no way does this condom the dangerous and irresponsible  subsequent behavior of the MB driver.

The truck driver was no doubt half asleep and failed to notice the stopped cars in time.

Maybe the truck-driver was wide awake but the brakes of his 1968 Hino were in the usual bad condition!?

Merc driver has issues and needs locking up. A good kicking wouldn't hurt either. 

Truck driver looks like he was going way too fast but got lucky. At least he did decide to pull over later and in a safer spot.

Dash cam driver bit of a numpty for being in the right lane for so long, but actually in all fairness he did look like he was going faster than the white car up ahead so was not entirely wrong to stay in that lane. Plus he did see a car coming up behind him and signalled, then moved over to the left. 

Merc driver completely in the wrong as the primary cause of the accident or should I say assault.

Truck driver in the wrong for not paying attention, almost took out the merc as well when pulling in.

Dash cam driver did nothing wrong, using the road as intended and driving safely.

14 hours ago, douglasspade said:

Well I see the blurred out number plate so it's clear enough the car can be traced. Not sure why the victim driver did not report this to the cops asap, in this instance the driver for the 'Mercedes' can be held accountable for putting someone else's life at risk.

In another country that is a serious offense with jail time!  :saai: Remind me - we are in Thailand now!

Yes the guy in the Mercedes Benz should have been charged with neg driving the spineless Thai police will never do anything about it because this guy in Mercedes has got a big bank account and a big childish attitude he is exempt in Thailand that's why you wouldn't live in a country like that Lawless and people's driving attitude it is a polling..... the thug in the Mercedes-Benz should be charged.

It's both drivers' fault, but the driver of the Benz more.

The main driver was slightly at fault for driving slowly in the right lane - that's something that the police should start giving fines about. Driving slowly is dangerous, even more in the right lane. When I'm coming at high speeds in the right lane, those people are putting their lives in danger. However, that's more like a minor annoyance for me, because I have the possibility of slowing down or overtaking by the left.

However, the Benz driver did something reckless - clearly and intentionally putting someone in danger with his entitled attitude. The Benz had ample space to overtake by the left, so it was more of a childish and dangerous behavior.

So, both did something wrong, but if I have to pick a culprit, I'll pick the Benz driver hands down.

All three: the car with the cam shouldn't have been in the outside lane; the Mercedes driver for his stupid and arrogant antic (though arrogance and stupidity seem required qualifications for many Thai Merc drivers); the truck driver, who was travelling too fast and evidently passed too close.

56 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

It's both drivers' fault, but the driver of the Benz more.

The main driver was slightly at fault for driving slowly in the right lane - that's something that the police should start giving fines about. Driving slowly is dangerous, even more in the right lane. When I'm coming at high speeds in the right lane, those people are putting their lives in danger. However, that's more like a minor annoyance for me, because I have the possibility of slowing down or overtaking by the left.

However, the Benz driver did something reckless - clearly and intentionally putting someone in danger with his entitled attitude. The Benz had ample space to overtake by the left, so it was more of a childish and dangerous behavior.

So, both did something wrong, but if I have to pick a culprit, I'll pick the Benz driver hands down.

'The Benz had ample space to overtake by the left ...' He did. But notwithstanding where we are, he is, in most circumstances, supposed to overtake on the right. 

3 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

All three: the car with the cam shouldn't have been in the outside lane;

Why not? He was clearly overtaking the slower cars in the middle lane and giving them loads of braking distance as he did so, the fact those cars subsequently moved into the slow lane is neither here nor there.

If the outside/fast lane is not for the purpose of overtaking then what is it for?

Edited by onthesoi

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

All 3 drivers at fault, dash cam driver hogging the fast lane, MB driver for road rage, truck driver driving too fast, unable to stop/manoevre.

Seriously ? why would the lorry driver be at fault. He has a clear road in front of him and being as he can see above the cars he knows the road is clear.  Are you telling us he should be expecting car drivers to slam their brakes on and stop for no reason ?

The only person to blame is the idiot who has stopped on a motorway carriage for no reason.

Drivers of lorries leave a bigger gap than cars do as it takes longer to slow down. You claim he didn't move over to avoid the crash, Well he did move over and only side swiped the car rather than killing all on board.

So why didn't he move over sooner, maybe there are other cars on the road which stopped him from doing so.

If I had been that lorry driver I would have made sure I'd of side swiped the MB as well.

10 minutes ago, berybert said:

Seriously ? why would the lorry driver be at fault. He has a clear road in front of him and being as he can see above the cars he knows the road is clear.  Are you telling us he should be expecting car drivers to slam their brakes on and stop for no reason ?

The only person to blame is the idiot who has stopped on a motorway carriage for no reason.

Drivers of lorries leave a bigger gap than cars do as it takes longer to slow down. You claim he didn't move over to avoid the crash, Well he did move over and only side swiped the car rather than killing all on board.

So why didn't he move over sooner, maybe there are other cars on the road which stopped him from doing so.

If I had been that lorry driver I would have made sure I'd of side swiped the MB as well.

The truck driver was at a fault because he drove into the back of a stationary vehicle.

The vehicle in question overtook the truck a while back and was stationary in the slow lane for some time before the truck hit, which means the truck had loads of time to brake, so the likelihood is the truck driver wasn't paying due care and attention to what was happening in front of him, apart from the stationary vehicle sitting in the slow lane he should have started braking when he seen the erratic behaviour of the merc.

Edited by onthesoi

Watching the video again I would hate to be in a car with most people who post on here.

The cam driver should not have been in the outside lane ? Why not, as you can see he is driving faster than the car in the middle lane and would have overtaken him within a few seconds, he notices someone flying up behind him so does the polite thing which was to move over and let the faster car past.

Why didn't he move over anyways ? How many people change lanes every time they overtake a car then pull out again knowing they will have to pull out again 5 seconds later, virtually no one.

The lorry driver would at no time expect a car travelling 20 mph faster than he is to stop for no reason, even if he does notice it takes a lorry a lot longer to stop than a car. The lorry had other traffic passing him by in the middle lane so actually did a great job in slowing down quick enough before being able to pull over and just sideswiping the car rather than rear ending it and killing all onboard.

The only person who caused the crash got away with no damage.

Again I would hate to be on the road with some of you lot.

Edit.

you can also see 2 cars that the cam car would have been overtaking that were in the middle lane and moved over into the slip lane before he caught them up.

Edited by berybert

6 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

The truck driver was at a fault because he drove into the back of a stationary vehicle.

The vehicle in question overtook the truck a while back and was stationary in the slow lane for some time before the truck hit, which means the truck had loads of time to brake, so the likelihood is the truck driver wasn't paying due care and attention to what was happening in front of him, apart from the stationary vehicle sitting in the slow lane he should have started braking when he seen the erratic behaviour of the merc.

Rubbish. Do you expect people to stop in front of you for no reason ?

The lorry clipped the side of the car he didn't drive into the back of it.

Just out of interest do you know the braking distance of a lorry, it is 3 times more than a car.

Thinking distance ?  I guess if you expect everyone to hammer their brakes on would be quicker than if you didn't.

Edited by berybert

42 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

All three: the car with the cam shouldn't have been in the outside lane; the Mercedes driver for his stupid and arrogant antic (though arrogance and stupidity seem required qualifications for many Thai Merc drivers); the truck driver, who was travelling too fast and evidently passed too close.

Neither cam driver and truck are at fault. Only the MB driver. 
Those trucks are really dangers on the road, they need far more road to stop compared to the merc and the cam driver. 
What you see happening with the truck is not because he passed too close, he had to switch to the middle lane fast, remember those trucks steer very hard, and he need to correct his truck to keep it on the middle lane, 
turning a little too much and hitting the cam driver in the side. Both truck and cam drivers are very lucky the truck was able to switch to another lane, if he hadn't both would have been total and probably with 3 dead.

45 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'The Benz had ample space to overtake by the left ...' He did. But notwithstanding where we are, he is, in most circumstances, supposed to overtake on the right. 

He did not overtake by the left.

45 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Why not? He was clearly overtaking the slower cars in the middle lane and giving them loads of braking distance as he did so, the fact those cars subsequently moved into the slow lane is neither here nor there.

If the outside/fast lane is not for the purpose of overtaking then what is it for?

The cam driver should have stayed in the middle lane since he wasn't overtaking any cars.

17 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

It is clear you have never driven a truck. If you had you would never write what you wrote.

Trucks need 3 x as much road as a car to come to a full stop.You can not imagine the panic that truck driver is in when he gets in such a situation where he has to avoid a stationary car. 

And don't forget the merc started stopping in the middle lane before the cam driver switched to the most left lane. 
What you also need to take into account is that drivers behind the truck can not see what is happening and can not anticipate on the trucks actions, that makes it even more complicated for the truck driver.

3 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

That is an assumption.

It is very clear in the video he switched to the most right lane for absolutely no reason.  It is safe to assume that he was driving at the same or slightly higher speed than the car left of him that we didn't see in the video. And we see the truck driving at its maximum speed on the left side of the road while he is being passed by by the dash cam driver. 

But the MB driver shouldn't have made the dashcam driver stop, totally irresponsible behaviour.

Someone else who is unable to see what is in front of him.

Watch the video again. You will see two cars in the middle lane that the dash cam car would have overtaken if they had not of moved into the slip lane before he reached them.

Or do you think he should have driven at 30 mph while waiting for them to come off the road.

The second car that drives onto the slip road is virtually at the end of it and probably doing 10mph before he moves over.

2 minutes ago, berybert said:

Someone else who is unable to see what is in front of him.

Watch the video again. You will see two cars in the middle lane that the dash cam car would have overtaken if they had not of moved into the slip lane before he reached them.

Or do you think he should have driven at 30 mph while waiting for them to come off the road.

The second car that drives onto the slip road is virtually at the end of it and probably doing 10mph before he moves over.

Watch the video again and you will see those 2 cars switched lanes to exit the highway.
What the cam driver did was unnecessary and he should have moved back to the middle lane immediately. By staying in the right lane he hindered other drivers, he might even have made  the merc driver
hit the brakes while moving to the most right lane and staying there but that is something that is not visible. 

I have been on the road in Thailand really many times and by god I have cursed as many times for drivers making stupid decisions. I can perfectly imagine what happened.

First off, the cam driver didn't look in his mirrors and just switched lanes while he still had ample space to slightly slow down, at no point was there reason to overtake, even being cautious he should have switched back to the middle lane immediately.

1 minute ago, Bastos60 said:

Watch the video again and you will see those 2 cars switched lanes to exit the highway.
What the cam driver did was unnecessary and he should have moved back to the middle lane immediately. By staying in the right lane he hindered other drivers, he might even have made  the merc driver
hit the brakes while moving to the most right lane and staying there but that is something that is not visible. 

I have been on the road in Thailand really many times and by god I have cursed as many times for drivers making stupid decisions. I can perfectly imagine what happened.

First off, the cam driver didn't look in his mirrors and just switched lanes while he still had ample space to slightly slow down, at no point was there reason to overtake, even being cautious he should have switched back to the middle lane immediately.

The cam driver didn't look in his mirror ?

I say he did when he noticed a car driving about 20/30 mph faster than he was. Do you change lanes every 5 seconds. Both cars leaving the road he would have overtaken and he would also have overtaken the car ahead of him that he pulled in behind within 5 seconds.

You don't slightly slow down when you have a lane beside you which is empty.  You move over. If you have an idiot driving way faster than the speed limit then there isn't much you can do about it.