Smokers Forbidden To Light Up In Public Areas

Jai Dee

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all about bashing smokers otherwise they should allow bars and restaurants to have separate smoking rooms.

The vast majority of bars designed for farang patronage in Thailand aren't big enough to provide separate rooms as you suggest.

If they did, it could be difficult to attract staff willing to work in the smokers room.

I know of one popular restaurant in Pattaya that does provide a separate smokers room. Sea Side restaurant between Soi Buakaow and Third Road.

The non-smokers room is air conditioned with the dividing barrier most effective in blocking out the second hand smoke from the smokers room. Both rooms seem to do a good trade.

Being a non-smoker, I can't begin to imagine the difficulty smokers have in trying to suppress the nicotine pangs.

Many heavy smokers have told me that they'd love to quit, but can't.

I sympathise with them, yet I still expect them to respect a non-smokers point of view with regard to their right to clean air.

I won't believe that smokers were forced to take up the habit. You all went in with your eyes wide open and now that you are in the grip of nicotine, don't expect non-smokers to tolerate your addiction.

If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to quit, you'd better get used to governments becoming tougher with regard to non-smoking legislation.

You should also prepare yourself for local authorities to become more stringent with regard to enforcing strict non-smoking laws.

Your New Years resolution should be: QUIT.

i had breakfast this morning at Yorkies and there were no ash trays on any table however 3 out of 4 tables had people smoking.

No signs visable at all

I dont think any waitress will ever say anything to a paying customer - so i dont think the smoking will stop

lets see

When I was in University, I was standing outside of the engineering building smoking, when a girl came outside on her cellphone. She walked up right next to me and told me "could you move, your smoke is bothering me." I replied "Yeah, well it's killing me, how do you think I feel?"

I don't know how it makes you feel, but selfish is a word that springs to mind...

I'm a none smoker but I think the girl standing next to him and talking LOUD crap on her mobile phone and then complaining was equally selfish. She didn't have to come out and stand there and fill his ears with her mobile conversation. In this instance, both parties could be construed as being as equaly as selfish.

Thai's will often complain about a smell and then go and create noise pollution or eat like a pig with noisy slurps and chomps that a foreigner equally finds as ignorant and as ofensive... perhaps they should learn to live and let live.

What about the "Glue Sniffer"?

I spotted a glue sniffer the other day in downtown Bangkok and you know what? As I walked past him, I was not affected by him at all, nor did my clothes smell after being near him, nor did my eyes sting, nor did I know he was sniffing glue other than having seen him doing it and apart from the damage he was causing himself, he had no impact on me whatsoever.

Had he been a smoker however I would have smelt him from 20 ywards away, I probably would have had a lung full of smoke, my clothes would have smelt differently afterwards and he would have invaded my personal space and lungs.

Can someone please explain what the comparison between these two is as I cannot see it myself.

Edited by Casanundra

now, how about taking some measures to stop the much bigger smoke - from countless cars, trucks etc. oh, tuk-tuks of course!

the combined smog they produce in Bangkok is much much much much worse than from cigarettes I bet! and its quantity is huge in comparison

I LOVE the one about not smoking at bus stops. On what planet are you when you think smoking at a bus stop in Thailand is going to make any significant difference to the pollution inhaled ? :o

Not that its a bad thing to control smoking but with all the pollutants around Thailand in the air it's somewhat hypocritical. Diesel/petrol fumes ( most from government buses), factory fumes, cooking oil, rubbish, polluted waterways etc etc :D

I LOVE the one about not smoking at bus stops. On what planet are you when you think smoking at a bus stop in Thailand is going to make any significant difference to the pollution inhaled ? :o

It could reasonably be assumed that non-smokers would also be waiting at the bus stop and that they would regard inhaling second hand tobacco smoke as offensive as well as dangerous to their health.

You will argue about vehicle exhaust fumes also being present but in time these too will be reduced significantly through alternatives to, or modifications to petrol driven engines.

Cigarette butts from smokers at bus stops and other outdoor locations have a tendency to find their way into the drainage system which in turn pollutes the water ways.

I don't agree that non smokers at a bus stop would be overly "damaged" by 2nd hand smoke ..... I realy am a lot more bothered by the fumes of dirty exhausts than other peoples smoke,it is after all outside and not an enclosed area. It would make far more sense to deal with that now rather than later.As for the butts getting in the drainage system ? I concur that it does happen but suspect it realy is a very minor contribution to the already polluted water system.

I am an ex smoker and find it of no concern or problem having smokers in my vicinity as long as I am outside. I also don't understand this current crusade on smokers and do think they pay an awful lot of tax for the pleasure..... it realy is overkill to try to ban smoking outside, just wait until they start preaching that smoking is helping to cause global warming !.......... but that is just my opinion and I do like a little freedom of choice and personal rights.

I'm sure i'm in the minority but just watching how the no smoking system in the UK is morphing into much more ( currently cctv is being used to spot smokers breaking the law) a police state is now very much in the making in the UK and as usual they are using seemingly minor issues to achieve much much more. Beware of increasing regulations and restrictions of freedom ..... it rarely stops there..........

Edited by englishoak

It isn't ikely to make any difference directly, however, it will protect smokers more than anyone else. If there are fewer places to smoke, smokers will smoke fewer cigarrettes. Those like me, who are ocial smokers, will face less temptation to light one up.

I haven't smoked for about a month now, and it is mostly out of sight, out of mind. If I'm around smokers, though, the temptation is there. The fewer places to smoke, the better!

I didn't read the whole thread, but there are a lot of ill effects associated with smoking - and getting rid of them will help everyone. I don't really think they should be illegal, but keeping them behind closed doors is a good move, IMHO.

It also helps to keep people from smoking to begin with!

wait. ... smoking at bus stops.... there is a truly tasteless joke in there somewhere given the current events....

Smoking makes you taste less :o and others :D

marshbags :D

P.S.

I don,t know if it,s been quoted but " it,s putting your tongue in an ashtray french kissing a smoker "

It is my choice to risk lung cancer and any other form of disease by smoking cigarettes. In doing so I accept this may not be everyones choice hence I commit to carry out my habit in such a way as not to inconvenience or put at risk the health or lifestyle of those around me. My responsibility is to keep others around me free from the risks and any unpleasantness from second hand smoke. The responsibility of others is to me is to allow me to conduct my life in a way of my choosing.

So it's your choice?

It's a lie and you know it! You lost your "choice" and the ability to simply walk away the day that nicotine feedings became mandatory. The only choice you have now is how EARLY you feed the beast within. The ignorant nicotine addict still believes the "choice" myth pounded into their brain by an endless stream of highly effective tobacco company marketing. All the pretty colored boxes, the displays, the sea of ads, how often have you seen any smoker switch brands? It's a well set trap from teens and a way to keep you from looking at the man behind the curtain - nicotine. You uneducated smoker associated smoking with the newspaper, coffee, travel, stress, other smokers, telephone calls, meals, celebrations, romance, or even as a necessary step prior to walking into a store. The educated nicotine addict sees all nicotine fixes as either mandatory, or an early feeding, in order to avoid the onset and discomfort of chemical withdrawal. You smoke nicotine after a meal because it's time for a nicotine feeding and you smoke before a meal because it isn't polite to feed yourself nicotine and food at the same time. If your regular feedings are spaced thirty minutes apart, at least every thirty minutes you're going to start sensing the need for more nicotine regardless of the activity.

www.whyquit.com

It is my choice to risk lung cancer and any other form of disease by smoking cigarettes. In doing so I accept this may not be everyones choice hence I commit to carry out my habit in such a way as not to inconvenience or put at risk the health or lifestyle of those around me. My responsibility is to keep others around me free from the risks and any unpleasantness from second hand smoke. The responsibility of others is to me is to allow me to conduct my life in a way of my choosing.

So it's your choice?

It's a lie and you know it! You lost your "choice" and the ability to simply walk away the day that nicotine feedings became mandatory. The only choice you have now is how EARLY you feed the beast within. The ignorant nicotine addict still believes the "choice" myth pounded into their brain by an endless stream of highly effective tobacco company marketing. All the pretty colored boxes, the displays, the sea of ads, how often have you seen any smoker switch brands? It's a well set trap from teens and a way to keep you from looking at the man behind the curtain - nicotine. You uneducated smoker associated smoking with the newspaper, coffee, travel, stress, other smokers, telephone calls, meals, celebrations, romance, or even as a necessary step prior to walking into a store. The educated nicotine addict sees all nicotine fixes as either mandatory, or an early feeding, in order to avoid the onset and discomfort of chemical withdrawal. You smoke nicotine after a meal because it's time for a nicotine feeding and you smoke before a meal because it isn't polite to feed yourself nicotine and food at the same time. If your regular feedings are spaced thirty minutes apart, at least every thirty minutes you're going to start sensing the need for more nicotine regardless of the activity.

www.whyquit.com

I have asked before and am asking again. Does anyone know what they are talking about. Does anyone have a copy of these so called "new rules" or is it a rehash of the 2002 edict I cannot find anything to redifine theswe "new rules"

There are many clubs that Thais and some foreigners go to that have hard working staff that have to work night in, night out in the smoke filled clubs. They aren't prostitutes, they are waitresses.

I guess that explains why I am continously propositioned by said waitresses!! :o

I have asked before and am asking again. Does anyone know what they are talking about. Does anyone have a copy of these so called "new rules" or is it a rehash of the 2002 edict I cannot find anything to redifine theswe "new rules"

The Thailand law appears to be an exact copy of a law which was drafted by the Legislative Council of Hong Kong in July 2005, voted on and passed in October 2006, and effective as of January 1, 2007 - "The Smoking (Public Health) (Amendment) Bill 2005".

If you rent an apartment/bungalow/flat for a holiday for example, does that constitute a 'private place' which would enable you to smoke without risk of penalty or not?

And would the owner of the apartment/bungalow/flat etc.. become liable for a fine...?