• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[

He said 52,000 Thais died a year from smoking-related diseases, e

So presumably motor vehicles will be outlawed soon.

Not actually, smoking is something that can be done without. It has no true benefit. Motorcycles get people from point A to B without causing enormous traffic and are also affordable for almost all Thais.

[

He said 52,000 Thais died a year from smoking-related diseases, e

So presumably motor vehicles will be outlawed soon.

Not actually, smoking is something that can be done without. It has no true benefit. Motorcycles get people from point A to B without causing enormous traffic and are also affordable for almost all Thais.

Its interesting but Thailand along with many SE Asian countries still manufactures and distribute Asbestos lines brake pads! So in the traffic clogging jams you see in BKK be aware the Asbestos levels are sky high! This can cause cancer. Smoking is blamed on many cancers of the lungs but other things primarily Asbestos dust inhalation is 10 times worse than nicotine and can be the cause of cancers that smoking is blamed for.

This legislation is typically half-informed judgement and penalises the socially-concious smokers in the same way that America's alcohol prohibition punished sensible drinkers in the 1920's. The problem with it is that implicit in the law is that non-smoking venues must provide smoking areas for the comfort of their smoking patrons, but how many will do so?

Who cares. To think there ae socially concious smokers, kinda eliminates the entirety of your arguement. :o

When I was younger and considerably less aware of health hazards I gave up smoking tobacco the day after recieving my discharge from the service in 1969. I did continue rolling my own for a while after that but eventually gave that up too :D Again not for health reasons.

I don't care if you smoke or catch on fire, but don't do it where it affects me or mine. You can have the freedom to smoke, but the worlds not your ash tray, for filtered butts or wrappers, or my lungs the repository for your smoke.

and whilst the nations guardians are in a tidy up mood can I add unleashed soi dogs and peoples home disco/public broadcast system to the removals wish list as well? The noise pollution is bad for my mental health I know. Ooh ooh and plastic bags too! b2000 fine for every loose dog, plastic bag and volume knob over 35....

Smokers forbidden to light up in public areas

A no-smoking law has already been enforced in covered areas of restaurants and public places that were air-conditioned.

Well we all know how well enforced that is.....

Edited by samtam

Amazing the excuses smokers will use to justify their habits !

As a non-smoker I agree with this statement but then again it is equally valid to hear an argument that says it denies a smoker his own rights to do what ever he pleases with his own body and lungs. Unfortunately, one of the problems we are faced with is that we are not very clear on exactly what we mean by the term "right" in this context and while many people can state what they think their rights are, my experience is that the claims are usually not very well thought out. If you lock a smoker and a non-smoker in a small room and then listen to the ensuing discussion of the "right to smoke" versus the "right to breathe clean air" then you will see what I mean.

At the end of the day my dear smoker friends or those in Industry who pollute the air or to those who don't care for their cars enough to stop harmful emissions, and to all the power companies who use fossil fuels, and to all the people who throw wrappers into the streets, and for all of us who use plastics and other non-biodegradable materials, and to those who are too deaf to notice their heavy handed use of the volume knob and so on and on... is that regardless of what we all think, every peaceful human being has a moral jurisdiction over his or her own body and property that no one else can justly violate and let's face it, smoking in the vicinity of a none smoker does violate his air as does all of the other things mentioned.

Welcome to the 20th and 21st century people, it's the world 'we' created and so 'we' must live with it or change it. Ok, yes smokers do annoy me because I am affected by their pleasure whether I want it or not and my stinging eyes, smoked filled lungs and smoky clothes after being near them drives me barmy and don't even get me onto the subject of someone smoking when I am eating. Equally so, I am just as annoyed when my ear drums hurt after someone blasts it with high volume crap music or when I inhale a blast from a 20 year old diesel bus as it chugs on by and all I can do is live with it. Some things in life are necessary evils and are essential to life but smoking isn't one of them.

As the saying goes, if the residue of 'your' pleasure is 'your' smoke on 'my' clothes then as I enjoy my food along with the odd glass of wine, then the question is, which residue of these two would you like me to put all over you in return?

Unfortunately, in this world were we are taught to live and let live, all we can do is to try and educate people to the harms they cause, to change the way industry and technology works for us and to do our level best to protect ourselves in the environment we currently choose to live in and only we can be responsible for making our own environments a better place. If you don't like where you are or the environment you find yourself in then you can always try moving to a better location.

Edited by Casanundra

Smokers forbidden to light up in public areas

He said 52,000 Thais died a year from smoking-related diseases, especially lung cancer and heart disease. It cost the country more than Bt50 billion in healthcare services for patients with lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema.

..and what will they do with all the money they save ?? :o

I am a smoker too but though it s a good idea to ban it in public places...restaurants should having some chairs outside as a :D cigarette after dinner or lunch is necessary :D

socially-concious smokers

There's an oxymoron, if I ever saw one.

Billions in health care costs, lives of caregivers turned upside down.

No smoker is socially-conscious. Sorry.

I agree with that 100%. If you are a socially-concious smoker you'll, stay at home and smoke if you want to ruin your health. The rest of us don't want to breathe in your smoke, it's nasty both outdoors and indoors... it bothers us! By the way I was a smoker for 12 years and have not smoked for more than 16 years. Quitting was very hard but it can be done if you put your mind to it. good luck

I agree with that 100%. If you are a socially-concious smoker you'll, stay at home and smoke if you want to ruin your health. The rest of us don't want to breathe in your smoke, it's nasty both outdoors and indoors... it bothers us! By the way I was a smoker for 12 years and have not smoked for more than 16 years. Quitting was very hard but it can be done if you put your mind to it. good luck

Although I agree to some points made by this smoking ban it still leaves the Freedom Of Choice at risk. Yes I am a smoker and have never smoked inside anywhere in years.

The above comment on smokers not being socially conscious is like saying North Korea should have the atomic bomb. The question I must ask is when will all these do gooders actually do something good instead of winge all the time.

When I was in UK a couple of months ago there was a lot of talk about the smoking ban coming in there next summer. Somebody with a lot of wit and marketing zeal started selling T-shirts with a picture of a smoker and the logo saying "BOOK ME DANNO". Me thinks there will be no room at the prisons in UK next summer.

And what happens if the person found having a drag does not have the fine money on him??? Do they go off to the jail and await a good friend to bale them out??

Thats my moaning over.

Goodbye and see you at the cigaratte sellers.

I've been very sick several times as in pneumonia from neighbors smoking in the apartment building. I put up signs of my own accord in the stairwells where they ineffectively try to blow their smoke out but which just gets blown right back into everyone's apartment. I put weather stripping around my door and keep all the windows shut even if I've used up all the oxygen because I've had 3 cases of pneumonia from that b.s.

Waking up in the morning not realizing that I've been breathing second hand smoke ALL NIGHT and then being sick for seveal weeks is not my idea of fun. Cigarette smoking is an epidemic in Asia whether the foreign teachers hide it or not. Their parents are smoking right in the house with their infants then wonder why they're sick all the time, lethargic in their teens and take up the habit themselves. Stupid, no matter who is doing it. My advice? DON'T!!!

I just wish that they would try to do this in a more effective, longer-range way- maybe they can't because they assume future governments won't go along with them, but that doesn't seem to have stopped other social policies begun in Thaksin's time becoming reality now.

It would make a lot more sense to start with a smaller range of places- enforce things heavily until people become self-enforcing- and then just go on from there. As it stands, you've eliminated the locations to smoke without considering the addiction of the smokers, and if you don't have the people on your side for this kind of regulation it simply can't work.

It's not that I don't like the idea, 'cause I'm no fan of tobacco smoke- I just don't think their implementation method is pragmatic.

"Steven"

I understand people dont want to breathe second hand smoke. No complaints there.

However, I am tired of governments telling me what I can and cannot do. Its rather ridiculous to ban smoking like this when the air quality in Bangkok is so poor. I'd rather sit in a room where people can smoke than sit behind a bus belching out black smoke which is full of particulates and carcenogens.

The dust and shit in Bangkok air is surely more hazardous to peoples health than passive smoking.

I read a report a while ago that for those people who spend 3 hours or more on the roads a day breathing Bangkok air from traffic had vastly increased chance of developing lung diseases.

While were at it lets ban alcohol too. It also causes plenty of diseases and costs money in terms of

health care. And what about fast food? Not such a problem in Thailand, but its statistically healthier to smoke than be obese, in terms of life expectancy at least.

Like I say, when will governments stop interfering in peoples private lives?

:o

I understand people dont want to breathe second hand smoke. No complaints there.

However, I am tired of governments telling me what I can and cannot do. Its rather ridiculous to ban smoking like this when the air quality in Bangkok is so poor. I'd rather sit in a room where people can smoke than sit behind a bus belching out black smoke which is full of particulates and carcenogens.

The dust and shit in Bangkok air is surely more hazardous to peoples health than passive smoking.

I read a report a while ago that for those people who spend 3 hours or more on the roads a day breathing Bangkok air from traffic had vastly increased chance of developing lung diseases.

While were at it lets ban alcohol too. It also causes plenty of diseases and costs money in terms of

health care. And what about fast food? Not such a problem in Thailand, but its statistically healthier to smoke than be obese, in terms of life expectancy at least.

:o

Oh Yea. I do what I do because I like to do it. To stop me from doing what I like to do will make me do things I don't like to do which in turn makes me not a happy chappy. Let me choose please. Thanks.

Well at the very least this will be fun to watch. The fines will no doubt be well enforced by the same people who pull you over looking to fine you for something that does not exist.

When I went back to the states in February I had the chance to go into a bar with a friend. I was very surprised that the ban had no effect on the number of people that went to the bar. Seeing as it is universal now it simply amounts to a temper tantrum by the nicotine and not the person. The smoking will stop but not the people. I do wonder what will happen in the Japanese venues, the percentage of smokers is much higher amongst Japanese than others.

Well, Bill Clinton is a smoker and Churchill was too, while Hitler was a notorious anti-smoker just like you. You are a man with a cause! What about all the people driving around in big SUV's which they for sure dont need polluting the world as we know it and causing a lot of bloody accidents. I have a bicycle and used to smoke. My consciousness would be more bad if I had been driving around in a big car, thats for sure mister holy grail Toptuan. Now I sttopped smoking but I really dont mind that other people smoke. Thats up to them. Give us back freedom off thought and let us get rid of those "we know the truth" people, thats pestering this world a lot more than a litttle tobacco smoke.

:D

THANKS, there is nothing more to say........it doesnt really matter if u die of a heartdesease caused by smoking, or heartdesease caused of crappy fat McDonald - Burgerking or KFC food. ....or the factory and stinky car outbursts in Asia....goverment should taking care of the ppl die on streets first caused by accidents of drunken car or motobike drivers. The only thing where Thailand is NO 1 in the world is in deadly traffic accidents.... :o

First California and now here, I'm in heaven!!!

California does not permit smoking in bar & clubs.

Am I correct that dance clubs (like those on RCA) are not included in this ban in Thailand?

dancing is a form of aerobic exercise and what will really make my day is the day I can dance free of 2nd hand smoke!

this is a promising step forward nonetheless and happy to see such progress!

now, how about taking some measures to stop the much bigger smoke - from countless cars, trucks etc. oh, tuk-tuks of course!

the combined smog they produce in Bangkok is much much much much worse than from cigarettes I bet! and its quantity is huge in comparison.

I'm not a smoker myself and glad about this new law - however untill and unless something is done about those terrible exost fumes - there is no question of improving air in Bangkok, well, and anywhere else!

so, not only people-smokers should be restricted, but cars-smokers too!

I am a smoker but I definitely welcome law that would ban public smoking. Confined space, shared areas and generally defined as public places should definitely observe. In Australia, I witnessed similar laws in place and the key to success was the participation of people.

Smokers observed the law and every one was ok. However, the regulations in Australia were also considerate (a bit) to those who smoked and hence there was a provision that public places, there should be provision of designated smoking area/zone with proper exhaust and air filtering installation.

Even as a smoker I fully support the new laws with one little sadness, the karaoke places will fall under this ban and my favorite bar is not open bar, it's a closed air conditioned shop and I guess that will fall in the category of no smoking. That spoils the fun.

Well whatever, I will definitely 'live' that or to say won't die young. :D:o:D

I completely agree with this 100 percent.

Next there should be a ban on unhealthy foods (have you seen the movie super size me)

and eventually we should outlaw meat and food with too much sugar completely.

It should be a crime which warrants jail time to give this kind of food to children, those caught should be made an example of. Have you seen how unhealthy and obese some children are!

In my opinion, eating meat and these kind of unhealthy foods contributes to my tax dollars being spent on YOUR health and hospital bills, plus most of you are TOO STUPID to know what is good for you.

YOU NEED THE GOVERNMENT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR BODY!!!

otherwise you should be fined or go to jail!!

Yes! While we’re at it, ban all alcohol as is even more toxic to the body than smoking plus causes millions of accidents and violent incidents yearly. No one should be allowed to drink anything but water. Everything else is harmful to the body.

I have a great news for u, dude, it's already banned to drive while drunk in Thailand (and probably in most countries around the world)...

About the junk food ban, I don't see the need, if u want to get fat, it's fine with me, as long as u don't fart, I will be still able to breath...:o

And to all other folks here who think it's perfectly fine to stuff my lugs with smoke coz there's already car pollution, sorry, but pollution is already enough for me, I don't need to breath yours. :D

Most of these places are outside places:

bus terminals - open aired

MRT - you can't smoke inside them before this regulation

BTS - again you couldn't smoke inside the gates before this, and outside the gates

is open aired

bus stops - this is just a joke, this is an open air area in the middle of smoke and traffic pollution,

sitting next to a smoker there might actually improve your air quality

but of course this makes it easy if I am walking down the road smoking and happen to

walk in front of a bus stop, a police can run over and try to fine me 2,000 baht, of course letting

me go with a 500 baht fine, that will go directly into his pocket.

sports stadiums - banned already in the air conditioned closed in spaces

playgrounds - again open aired, but not enough of these in public places to even bother mentioning, it is up to the owners if

they want to ban it at the private ones.

This reminds me of Boulder, CO USA neo-liberal capital of the US, behind Berkley, CA.

They were trying to ban smoking in peoples own backyards, because some idiot women was complaining that her neigherbors smoke

was floating into her yard.

AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Thailand, I love you because you are the idiot clown, that makes us all laugh every

time you trip and fall on your face..............thanks for getting up each time, so that we can laugh in amusement as you do it once more

And if you are a socially-conscious driver you only turn on your car in your garage, so I dont have to inhale your ######ing smoke in public places and run for my life when you come driving like a mad man.

The only reason for people to hate smokers is that they ENJOY smoking, and ENJOYING something useless is sinfull in this society based upon neo-con american standards of hypocrasy.

We cannot live forever, and I for one certainly don't want to. Enjoying the ride is as important, at least, as staying healthy.

I agree, the journey is as important as the destination, and one should enjoy it. But, watching someone die of smoking for over a decade is a pretty hellish journey for the traveler and observers alike. Think about it.

One can enjoy one's ride as much as one likes as long as one is not forcing another to be on the same ride.

I for one would not mind people putting shit into their mouths but don't make the room smell.

We cannot live forever, and I for one certainly don't want to. Enjoying the ride is as important, at least, as staying healthy.

I agree, the journey is as important as the destination, and one should enjoy it. But, watching someone die of smoking for over a decade is a pretty hellish journey for the traveler and observers alike. Think about it.

One can enjoy one's ride as much as one likes as long as one is not forcing another to be on the same ride.

I for one would not mind people putting shit into their mouths but don't make the room smell.

Yes, let us have a ban on perfume and cheese as well.

and eventually we should outlaw meat and food with too much sugar completely.

now, this you realy must be kidding! even IF alcohol and tobacco will be outlawed or severely controled - never meat will be ! don't know about sugar, but meat - is a HUGE trade.