Thailand receives ranking upgrade for combating IUU fishing

webfact

Thailand receives ranking upgrade for combating IUU fishing

Phuket Gazette 

1_2017616111212718_ceRAZvolUOLVsJokUqEWhPhlZilHWiJyNazmWnXq_jpeg.jpg

Vice Admiral Surapol Kuptaphan, commander of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, announced the news during a ‘Point of Contact’ marine resources conference with Andaman officials. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: The European Commission has formally upgraded Thailand’s fisheries ranking, citing the Kingdom’s efforts to tackle illegal, unregulated and unreported (IUU) fishing over the past two years.

Vice Admiral Surapol Kuptaphan, commander of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, announced the news during a ‘Point of Contact’ marine resources conference with Andaman officials at Royal Phuket City Hotel yesterday.

In 2015, the European Commission had put Thailand on formal notice and issued a ‘yellow card’ for not taking sufficient measures in the international fight against illegal fishing (story here). While still not upgraded to full ‘green card’ status, the EU has recognized Thailand’s efforts to combat the IUU fishing. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Thailand-receives-ranking-upgrade-combating-IUU-fishing/66702?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-06-16

2 hours ago, webfact said:

While still not upgraded to full ‘green card’ status, the EU has recognized Thailand’s efforts to combat the IUU fishing. 

So not upgraded at all; just a pat on the back with a try a lot harder.

From the article - " In order to get the ranking upgrade, however, the country would not only need to commit to the ratification and adoption of the ILO’s convention concerning work in the fishing industry, but also maintain sustainable fisheries as well as plans and measures to combat IUU fishing"

17 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

So not upgraded at all; just a pat on the back with a try a lot harder.

From the article - " In order to get the ranking upgrade, however, the country would not only need to commit to the ratification and adoption of the ILO’s convention concerning work in the fishing industry, but also maintain sustainable fisheries as well as plans and measures to combat IUU fishing"

"measures to combat IUU fishing" aka "passing laws and enforce them."

The European Commission fully understands Thai authorities penchant for presenting a facade of effort without actually carrying out enforcement and prosecution.

I agree with the other posters, as I cannot find any details of the so-called "upgrade" either.  Once again, it seems that this report comes entirely from the Thai side and the actual report is conspicuous by its absence.    Had I been able to do this when I was at school, I would have left with at least ten GCE "A" levels accompanied by a glowing report from the Headmaster.   Alas...........................................