New pickup registration

I would like to share my experience of going through the process of registering my new Toyota Revo Pickup in Chiangmai.

I bought a new Toyota Revo Pickup from Toyota Paragon Motors Bangkok, the dealership service was excellent and I'd recommend them to anyone looking at buying a Toyota.

The dealership offered to process the registration in Bangkok but as I live in Chiangmai I wanted the whole process done in Chiangmai; the sales department  loaned me a "Red Plate" at no cost or deposit and arranged for the vehicle to be delivered to my home address in Chiangmai by their sales supervisor with the agreement I cover the cost of his bus ticket back from Chiangmai to Bangkok; after an overnight drive of 600Km the least I could do was put him on a flight back to Bangkok.

The dealership completed all their documentation for the vehicle registration and included an idiots guide in English on what I had to do next; I contacted the immigration office in Chiangmai to get a "Certificate of Residency" ten days later when that was ready I went to the Government office to register my vehicle, when I presented the completed documentation, my vehicle insurance and a copy of my passport Etc. I was told the vehicle had to have a "Safety Inspection" before registration, two months old and less than 2000Km on the clock and it needs a "Safety Inspection" <deleted> . . . . 

I joined the queue for a vehicle "Safety Inspection" two hours later I was issued with another document basically saying "New" and "Safe" the biggest laugh is they didn't even look at anything safety related unless the "Car Cams" front and rear count . . . .

I then returned to the original contact point and handed over my additional document saying my vehicle is "New" and "Safe". . . . . This is when I find out there are three tax classes for Pickups; a commercial use Pickup, a domestic use Pickup and this next one is amazing, a domestic use Pickup with a fixed roof over the bed and seating in the back for carrying passengers; there is even a tax class for a Pickup used in a manner that it is not designed for, unbelievable ! !

Because my Pickup bed hard cover / roof is a multi position hard cover / roof and not fixed also with no seating in the Pickup bed I come into the middle tax bracket of 4400THB per year . . . own and use a Pickup in a manner that it is not designed for and pay less tax. . . . . Bonus !         

Interesting report … thanks

Wow … you were lucky ‘must have a silver tongue’ getting genuine red plates and brown book loaned for two months with no deposit.

Mrs J has recently just done the same on her car, Honda wanted 4500thb to do!  The inspection at the LTO is called ตรวจสภาพรถ and is to confirm that the engine and VIN numbers correspond to what is on the supplied paperwork. They normally take a rubbing of the VIN.

Pickup Tax Levels, I only know that the 4Door 4/5 seats are the most expensive and cost is either 6700thb or 6800thb … forget which, well certainly the 3Ltr one we had was.

The two doors, with basically a parcel shelf behind, although many use as extra seating, are somewhat cheaper, green plates I don’t know where they fit in.

Did I understand that you have a two door with a ‘raise and lower’ glass fiber cover over the bed…if so I believe that should not have changed your tax level.

Hopefully someone else will also post their variant and their tax level.

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Interesting report … thanks

Wow … you were lucky ‘must have a silver tongue’ getting genuine red plates and brown book loaned for two months with no deposit.

Mrs J has recently just done the same on her car, Honda wanted 4500thb to do!  The inspection at the LTO is called ตรวจสภาพรถ and is to confirm that the engine and VIN numbers correspond to what is on the supplied paperwork. They normally take a rubbing of the VIN.

Pickup Tax Levels, I only know that the 4Door 4/5 seats are the most expensive and cost is either 6700thb or 6800thb … forget which, well certainly the 3Ltr one we had was.

The two doors, with basically a parcel shelf behind, although many use as extra seating, are somewhat cheaper, green plates I don’t know where they fit in.

Did I understand that you have a two door with a ‘raise and lower’ glass fiber cover over the bed…if so I believe that should not have changed your tax level.

Hopefully someone else will also post their variant and their tax level.

Hello Mr J

Thank you for your added information. . . .

I forgot to say that the "Safety Inspection" also checked the vehicle weight as technically it is a commercial vehicle and it came in at a slim 1950Kg according to the documentation.  

I have the new Toyota Revo G 2.4 4 x 4  four door with five seats in the cab Etc. The Pickup bed lid / cover is a "Topup" multi position unit and therefore not classed as a "Fix Roof" . . . . Reading what you said then my 4400THB tax per year is correct for this vehicle class. . . . . . I don't feel so bad now !

Interesting … as it is too hot to go out, well it is in BK I’m at home watching the golf.

I had a look at what ‘varieties’ of Revo seem to be available … I looked here  ...

http://auto.siam-vip.com/toyota-hilux-revo-ราคา-โตโยต้า-รีโว่.html

Wow … didn’t realise previously what a huge selection there is … No wonder they sell so well, there is something for everyone!  You have the  Revo G 2.4 4 x 4 which I couldn’t actually find on the list.

Anyway 4400thb is somewhat better than nearly 7000thb.

5 hours ago, transam said:

Hmmmm, my truck, four door with a lid was new in 2007,  6,700bht....:sad:....Think now 7,100bht for new similar rides..

Engine size, the OP's new Revo is a 2.4L. Your truck and mine, both 3L four doors the tax was 6800 bahtwhen new. Just retaxed mine, 5400B, for a six yo one. Bought the porabor in the LTO, 646B, all done 10 mins, life a doddle here sometimes.

12 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Engine size, the OP's new Revo is a 2.4L. Your truck and mine, both 3L four doors the tax was 6800 bahtwhen new. Just retaxed mine, 5400B, for a six yo one. Bought the porabor in the LTO, 646B, all done 10 mins, life a doddle here sometimes.

Yep, it goes down  every year after 5 years old...Last year I paid 3,414bht...:stoner:

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

My Smart cab 4x4 Vigo was 1050 to retax last week, 2.5 ltr. cheap as chips.

Yes, taxed as a commercial truck, two doors, same as my Nissan Frontier when I first came here, but TW wanted a four door, but then 69 BHT to one GB peso, glory days. 

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

Yes, taxed as a commercial truck, two doors, same as my Nissan Frontier when I first came here, but TW wanted a four door, but then 69 BHT to one GB peso, glory days. 

I have a New Pajero Sport for normal day to day use, the pickup is for the farm, which is what they are designed for.