Thailand's Roads

superal

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rennie1988 said:

The concrete roads seem to deteriorate very quickly, at least with asphalt they can easily repair it and keep it flat. Does anyone know why they fill the concrete expansion gaps with bitumen? That one has always puzzled me.

Can't use wood here, knocks one off the list.....

20 hours ago, rickb said:

I think it's also the fact that no one checks the work of a contractor when he's completed.  If the specs for an asphalt road call for 3 inches of asphalt, nothing precludes the contractor from laying only 1 inch only but getting paid for 3 inches.  Nobody checks the final work upon completion.  They just simply say ok, thanks.  I've watched many resurface jobs  on local roads and it's sad to see the contractor do no proper preparation of the sub-surface and then to lay just one layer of asphalt.  Wam, bam, thank you M'am!

The surprising factor is that that some main contractors often display with pride on their company logo their quality assurance accreditation I.S.O. 9001 . Now my recollection to attain 9001 was not easy with the company having to show they had well organised work procedures , the workforce with the appropriate qualifications and/or training along with total manufacture traceability .  .  Announced & unannounced annual audits .  So how are these big boys getting away with it ? possibly sub-contracting ? Or has corruption found its way to all avenues ?

5 hours ago, rennie1988 said:

The concrete roads seem to deteriorate very quickly, at least with asphalt they can easily repair it and keep it flat. Does anyone know why they fill the concrete expansion gaps with bitumen? That one has always puzzled me.

heave and sink

7 minutes ago, superal said:

The surprising factor is that that some main contractors often display with pride on their company logo their quality assurance accreditation I.S.O. 9001 . Now my recollection to attain 9001 was not easy with the company having to show they had well organised work procedures , the workforce with the appropriate qualifications and/or training along with total manufacture traceability .  .  Announced & unannounced annual audits .  So how are these big boys getting away with it ? possibly sub-contracting ? Or has corruption found its way to all avenues ?

Wife worked for companies years ago, they can "buy" the certification, its  as  simple as  that

1 minute ago, kannot said:

Wife worked for companies years ago, they can "buy" the certification, its  as  simple as  that

That is unbelieveable , never thought that could be done . There again T.I.T. and L.O.S. land of surprises 

47 minutes ago, kannot said:

You won't buy SGS ISO9001 or 14001 over here.

That said, they will provide a document management system, but the records must be updated for annual inspection for recertification.

Paper excercise.

7 minutes ago, grollies said:

You won't buy SGS ISO9001 or 14001 over here.

That said, they will provide a document management system, but the records must be updated for annual inspection for recertification.

Paper excercise.

But I suppose that in reality you do buy it when applied for and also when the accreditation is awarded . Now I ask myself are the audits/inspections carried out to the book ? Can people be bought here ? :shock1:

On 6/18/2017 at 9:04 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Yes i have. Horses for courses.

The Australian Federal government will no doubt design these roads for those type of loads in the first place.

Here, the back roads, where the convoys of illegally loaded sugar cane trucks drive, avoiding main highways and big roads to avoid police and tax or hopefully, confiscation of the truck and load,are not designed for a 30 ton truck, let alone 50-60 tons...

yeah plus in oz they have roads that you are and aren't allowed to drive on depending on the size of the truck.

Caused a great stir at the company I used to work for when they first bought that in and it was discovered that some of the receival points weren't rated for the trucks that were supposed to be (had been) loading and unloading there.   

Edited by akirasan

3 hours ago, superal said:

But I suppose that in reality you do buy it when applied for and also when the accreditation is awarded . Now I ask myself are the audits/inspections carried out to the book ? Can people be bought here ? :shock1:

Can only talk about the UK but SGS annual appraisal was an all day assessment, pretty thorough, with recommendations to be implemented within a given timeframe.

Can people be bought here? Obviously, same as anywhere (wait for the outcome of the London fire).

SGS are an international company and I think they'd be pretty switched on. That, or it'd go all the way up to the top. :shock1: :shock1:

On 2017-6-18 at 9:45 AM, Maejo Man said:

Even the the "new" airport in Bangkok was not immune from poor construction. The main runway started to break up after the first year, and surprise, surprise they found that insufficient concrete had been used. I wonder who pocketed the millions from that little job! :whistling:

They said every contract at Swampy was tainted by corruption,about 300.