Obtain Marriage Visa but traveling...

Hey, gents. I am a USA citizen only 46 years old. I finished a 1 year ED visa, left the country to holiday in Vientianne, then entered Thailand on a 30 day stamp that expires on July 3. I lan to.fly to USA for a 3 week stay July 1 to 21.

My fiance and I want to go to the amphur and get married. I have all the papers for that. How can we take the Amphur marrage papers and get me a marriage visa?

My belief was we simply holiday in Vientianne and get a marriage visa, but now I am reading that is not true. So... do we need to wait until I am back from USA to obtain the visa? If so, how can I enter Thailand without it since my border stamp and tourist visa quotas are maxed out. Los Angeles Web site says I can not have a TR visa because I do not have flights to leave Thailand.

If confused feel free to PM me.

Thaks much,

-

In reality there is no marriage visa.

You can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Vientiane that will allow one 90 day entry. Or you can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos that will allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

You can also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You would need 400k baht in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. To apply for it you would a 90 day entry from a non-o visa.

I am planning to stay in Thailand for 6 months to visit(married) family. I will apply for non-o to visit family. My question: is it cheaper to get 90 day single entry($80 Canadian) and get extension for marriage in Thailand, or should it just get the multiple entry Visa non-o visa ($200 Canadian). I will not stay longer than 6 months. I will apply for Visa at Vancouver, BC, consulate. I will be in Surin, Surin, so will be able to cross border at O'smach easily.

1 hour ago, Boboobowbow said:

I am planning to stay in Thailand for 6 months to visit(married) family. I will apply for non-o to visit family. My question: is it cheaper to get 90 day single entry($80 Canadian) and get extension for marriage in Thailand, or should it just get the multiple entry Visa non-o visa ($200 Canadian). I will not stay longer than 6 months. I will apply for Visa at Vancouver, BC, consulate. I will be in Surin, Surin, so will be able to cross border at O'smach easily.

If only staying for 6 months it would not be practical to apply for the one year extension.

If you got a single entry non-o visa you could extend the 90 day entry for 60 days to visit your wife at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht. To stay longer you could do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry which would require a Cambodia visa on arrival that would cost about 1500 baht.

If you got the multiple entry non-o visa you would you would just need to do one border hop to get a new 90 day entry. No need for a trip to immigration to get 180 days of total stay. Another advantage of the multiple entry visa is that it is valid for one year from the date of issue. If you were to make another trip within that year you would not need another visa.

You should have no problem getting a ME non 'O' visa during your trip back to the US. You'll need a copy of your marriage certificate and your wife's ID.

On entry with that visa you'll get 90 days. At the end of the 90 days you can do a border hop (most crossings) to get another 90 days, which gives you the 6 months. Any 90 day entry can be extended once by 60 days if required. Or by 1 year if you can meet the financial requirements.

The visa will be valid for 1 year from the date its issued and you can make entries anytime on or before the last day of that year.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You should have no problem getting a ME non 'O' visa during your trip back to the US. You'll need a copy of your marriage certificate and your wife's ID.

The OP was concerned about not being able to get a visa in Vientiane. He was concerned he would have to travel to the states to get one.

2 hours ago, SailingHome said:

My belief was we simply holiday in Vientianne and get a marriage visa, but now I am reading that is not true. So... do we need to wait until I am back from USA to obtain the visa?

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OP was concerned about not being able to get a visa in Vientiane. He was concerned he would have to travel to the states to get one.

He has permission to stay until July 3rd and is flying to the US on July 1st, so he doesn't need to get a visa in the region. He can get it when back in the US during his planned trip, which is the easiest/best option.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

He has permission to stay until July 3rd and is flying to the US on July 1st, so he doesn't need to get a visa in the region. He can get it when back in the US during his planned trip, which is the easiest/best option.

5 hours ago, SailingHome said:

l (pl)an to.fly to USA for a 3 week stay July 1 to 21.

Unless you live near a US Official Thai Consulate, you would have to do it by mail with a 3-week window in the USA - probably OK, but might be trouble time-wise if they ask for more info / questions - it depends on which of the 3 Consulates you must use (depending on where in the USA you live) - the DC one can be a PITA. 

I'd get a 1-Year ME in Savanahket, since time is too tight before departure to try a conversion in-country - then, no worries / stress for a year.  Though he could also get a 90-day in Vientiane, add a re-entry permit before the USA-trip, then return before that 90-days permitted-stay ends.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If only staying for 6 months it would not be practical to apply for the one year extension.

If you got a single entry non-o visa you could extend the 90 day entry for 60 days to visit your wife at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht. To stay longer you could do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry which would require a Cambodia visa on arrival that would cost about 1500 baht.

If you got the multiple entry non-o visa you would you would just need to do one border hop to get a new 90 day entry. No need for a trip to immigration to get 180 days of total stay. Another advantage of the multiple entry visa is that it is valid for one year from the date of issue. If you were to make another trip within that year you would not need another visa.

Thanks for the info. I will get the one year multiple entry visa(mev) but if I stay less than 150 days I will get 90 day single entry and a 60 day extension. I won't be able to use mev within year to make another trip.