Minnesota patrolman acquitted in traffic-stop slaying of black motorist

rooster59

Minnesota patrolman acquitted in traffic-stop slaying of black motorist

By Todd Melby

640x640 (3).jpg

FILE PHOTO - Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez, charged in connection with the shooting death of a black motorist Philando Castile last July, is shown in this booking photo taken November 18, 2016 in St. Paul, Minnesota, U.S.. Courtesy of Ramsey County Sheriff's Office/Handout via REUTERS/File Photo

ST. PAUL, Minn. (Reuters) - A Minnesota police officer was acquitted on Friday in the slaying of a black motorist he shot five times during a traffic stop last year, an incident that drew national attention after the victim's girlfriend live-streamed the bloody aftermath on social media.

St. Anthony Police Department officer Jeronimo Yanez, who testified that he feared for his life when he fatally shot Philando Castile last July, was found not guilty of second-degree manslaughter.

The jury of seven men and five women, 10 of whom were white and two of whom were black, sided with the officer after deliberating for more than 25 hours spanning five days, acquitting Yanez on all charges.

The shooting death of Castile, 32, in the St. Paul suburb of Falcon Heights triggered local protests and fueled debate across the country over the appropriate use of force by law enforcement against minorities.

Friday's verdict drew an angry reaction from Castile's mother.

"I'm mad as hell right now," Valerie Castile told reporters after the verdict. "My first-born son died. ... Just because he was a police officer, that makes it OK."

She said the verdict shows "the system continues to fail black people."

Yanez, the son of a Mexican immigrant, testified during the trial in Ramsey County District Court that he feared for his life after Castile began reaching for a firearm that Castile had disclosed he had in his possession.

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the state capitol in St. Paul on Friday evening, and a series of speakers demanded justice for minorities in the American judicial system and stronger accountability measures for police. Many people waved signs and chanted in unison "stand up, fight back" and "if we don't get no justice, they don't get no peace."

After the rally, police said roughly 2,000 people marched peacefully down streets in St. Paul, at times blocking traffic at intersections and then on Interstate 94, a major highway. Marchers also blocked commuter trains at one point and chanted "Yanez Guilty."

An attorney for Yanez, Earl Gray, praised the verdict.

"Justice was done," Gray told Reuters by telephone. "We're very happy. Yanez was innocent. He was just doing his job."

Shortly after the verdict, the City of St. Anthony said Yanez would not return to active duty and that it was negotiating a "voluntary separation agreement" with him.

CASTILE "WAS COMPLIANT"

The video footage of the aftermath of the shooting taken by Castile's girlfriend, which went viral, had shaped many public perceptions of the fatal shooting before the trial.

The video begins with the girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, in the passenger seat as Castile, covered in blood, sits in the driver's seat and a patrolman points his gun into the vehicle.

"He was trying to get out his ID and his wallet out of his pocket," Reynolds says. "He let the officer know that he had a firearm and that he was reaching for his wallet, and the officer just shot him in his arm."

Castile was shot with Reynolds and her 4-year-old daughter in the car. The video showed blood oozing through Castile's shirt as he appeared to lose consciousness.

"Fuck!" a voice is heard screaming. "I told him not to reach for it."

Prosecutors said Yanez was not justified in firing his gun, saying that Castile was courteous and non-threatening.

John Choi, the Ramsey County prosecutor assigned to the case, told reporters following the verdict that Castile "did nothing that justified the taking of his life."

"He was compliant," Choi said.

After the shooting, then-President Barack Obama described as tragedies the deaths of Castile and of 37-year-old Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana - the second black man slain during an altercation with police in two days.

"All of us as Americans should be troubled by these shootings, because these are not isolated incidents," Obama said at the time. "They're symptomatic of a broader set of racial disparities that exist in our criminal justice system."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-17

I don't agree with the verdict, but for f..... sake it is so tiere some to hear the constant referral to skin color as reason for their misfortune. At one point in time all races/colors have had periods where they could risk becoming slaves.....get over it and educate your children so they can get a better life

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The jury of seven men and five women, 10 of whom were white and two of whom were black, sided with the officer

They hear all the evidence and came to a conclusion.

Many of as hear what we want to hear to support our bias 

1 hour ago, TGIR said:

What a freaking joke this verdict is.   Anyone with a heartbeat and a brain would convict based on the video.   Unbelievable.

Wait for the movie. It will justify the killing as only Hollywood can.

1 hour ago, just.a.thought said:

I don't agree with the verdict, but for f..... sake it is so tiere some to hear the constant referral to skin color as reason for their misfortune. At one point in time all races/colors have had periods where they could risk becoming slaves.....get over it and educate your children so they can get a better life

Errm, I dont remember anywhere in history, of the black slaves agreeing to be so. America created its own problem by carrying on slavery, well into the 1860's.And for another decade also. Do you really think that this can all be forgotten in just over 150 years?The Americans treated black people as possessions. The atrocities committed by the arrogant, spoiled, people of the South are responsible for this latter  day hatred of white people.I lived in the Southern states in the 80's, and i can tell you quite truthfully that blacks were still second class citizens then.The Black and White problem still exists in the south, even today. And this is all over the plantations needing their cotton and Tobacco picked.The South is indeed a beautiful place, but some of the people are still pig ignorant. Some believe that they speak American, and not English.I will admit that the use of the double negative does not do the Black race any good, but that is neither here nor there. America is sitting on a ticking bomb, these people are not shy to show their anger. I see more riots, as in the case of the King guy. This will never stop.

Always liked the way people pass judgement on "Jury Trials" when they weren't there to here all the evidence and only see a video. Must be nice to have super physic powers to know everything about the case.

4 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

Always liked the way people pass judgement on "Jury Trials" when they weren't there to here all the evidence and only see a video. Must be nice to have super physic powers to know everything about the case.

If you are referring to me, then i dont give a flying f### about the trial. These relatives and their people will never let this die.

What is it with people in the States???  A Police Officer is pointing a gun at you, tells you to freeze, "let me see your hands", and you want to do something stupid like reaching for your wallet???   Stupid is as Stupid does.   A Cop, irregardless of nationality stops me, its  "Yes Sir, No Sir, Three Bags Full"  last thing I want is to be some bodies accidental shooting, you automatically lose that argument.

When you are asked for your Identification, how do you get it?

The black guy should have never admitted to having a gun, and maybe the trigger happy cop would have calmed down a bit  These police are poorly trained in America, especially when they

are dealing with the Black population. The juries are quick to side with the police as well,  and it does not matter what the jury is made up with.  In America, if you are black, be very careful especially when the police have their guns out and are aimed at you.  Tell the cop where your wallet is and let them get it themselves.

I seen the video  and believe that the cop was in the wrong to pull the trigger.  Just my opinion okay!    America's rule of the right to bear arms was a mistake to keep in their constitution,  but that is their problem.

Geezer

When stopped by the police, it is a good idea to do exactly what they tell you to do.   Generally, you won't have too many problems, if you do.   If you want to mouth off, have someone decide to film a mini-documentary, you can expect to have a problem.   When the officer has a gun pointed at you that problem is compounded.   When both have a gun, then it can become deadly.   

Had he done what he was told to and had the passenger kept her mouth shut, they might have all gone home without much trouble.   

I disagree Credo, as I just watched the video on the news again, and the cop was too trigger happy, and scared of the black guy.  I just cannot stand by and see a cop who had no reason to shoot but did because he was too scared.  The woman was taping the whole incident and what harm was that.  Even with the video, the jury still believed the cops excuse and story. What a load of rubbish.  Too many people getting shot by cops, and in the States, unfortunately this has happened too many times all ready with the cops getting away with their excuses, and not getting some jail time

for their murders.

Geezer

Very probably guilty of 3rd degree or 2nd degree homicide.

However numerous cases have shown that it is nigh on impossible to gain a conviction against a police officer in this kind of killing in America.

Unfortunately the margin for miscalculation and misunderstanding is tiny in a society where

i) there is significant racial mistrust and separation

ii) there is significant crime

iii) a swathe of the population not only own handguns but carry them round with them all the time, legally or otherwise.

Since none of these factors will change in the near future, you can safely expect more shootings of this kind and more not guilty verdicts. The police will perceive a threat which may be unreal and will react with instant deadly force which cannot be undone. At least some members of the jury will side with the police (as a force rather than an individual) and not convict the charged individual police officer.

One factor which could reduce the number of killings would be specific instructions both to officers and members of the public for situations in which armed members of the public interact with police officers. On this occasion, it seems both parties did not know what to do, misunderstood the other and the result was an enormous miscalculation and the shooting of the victim.

Edited by Briggsy

14 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

However numerous cases have shown that it is nigh on impossible to gain a conviction against a police officer in this kind of killing in America.

Unfortunately the margin for miscalculation and misunderstanding is tiny in a society where

iii) a swathe of the population not only own handguns but carry them round with them all the time, legally or otherwise.

Since none of these factors will change in the near future, you can safely expect more shootings of this kind and more not guilty verdicts. The police will perceive a threat which may be unreal and will react with instant deadly force which cannot be undone. At least some members of the jury will side with the police (as a force rather than an individual) and not convict the charged individual police officer.

One factor which could reduce the number of killings would be specific instructions both to officers and members of the public for situations in which armed members of the public interact with police officers. On this occasion, it seems both parties did not know what to do, misunderstood the other and the result was an enormous miscalculation and the shooting of the victim.

As he just been acquitted, that probability is zero. He has been tried and judged by 12 of his peers, you don't get a say in the matter.

Edited by halloween

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

As he just been acquitted, that probability is zero. He has been tried and judged by 12 of his peers, you don't get a say in the matter.

Thank you for the perfect example of a person who if serving on a jury would acquit.

Seems in your hot-headed rush, you only read the first paragraph of my post and thus misunderstood it. You can try again if you like.

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Thank you for the perfect example of a person who if serving on a jury would acquit.

Seems in your hot-headed rush, you only read the first paragraph of my post and thus misunderstood it. You can try again if you like.

If I was serving on a jury I would have ALL the evidence and argument for consideration, then I would decide.

I understood your poor logic. Try this, if there are NO guns in a situation the chance of a fatal shooting are zero. The odds are much higher if one gun is present, and the curve is hyperbolic as more guns are present. In a society with more guns than people, the result is inevitable.

I think what's really interesting in this case is the NRA's reactions. First to the shooting and then to the verdict. You would think that this was a case that perfectly embodies so much of what the NRA claims to be wrong with how gun holders are viewed in this country. And yet still no comment at all on the verdict. Hmmmm...I wonder why that could be?

Philando Castile Should Be the NRA's Perfect Cause Célèbre. There's Just One Problem.

Staying conspicuously silent on the Yanez verdict so far is an organization that can typically be counted on to offer extreme and uncompromising advocacy on behalf of licensed American gun owners: the National Rifle Association. As of Saturday afternoon, the NRA had issued no statement addressing the verdict, its pugnacious chief spokesman Wayne LaPierre had not been quoted in any media stories about it, and an email from Slate requesting comment had not received a response.  The NRA was almost completely silent then, too, putting out a tepid statement only after coming under intense pressure from some of its members. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/06/17/after_jeronimo_yanez_acquittal_philando_castile_should_be_the_nra_s_perfect.html

Edited by ilostmypassword

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

When you are asked for your Identification, how do you get it?

The black guy should have never admitted to having a gun, and maybe the trigger happy cop would have calmed down a bit  These police are poorly trained in America, especially when they

are dealing with the Black population. The juries are quick to side with the police as well,  and it does not matter what the jury is made up with.  In America, if you are black, be very careful especially when the police have their guns out and are aimed at you.  Tell the cop where your wallet is and let them get it themselves.

I seen the video  and believe that the cop was in the wrong to pull the trigger.  Just my opinion okay!    America's rule of the right to bear arms was a mistake to keep in their constitution,  but that is their problem.

Geezer

Sounds like you advocate treating blacks differently in you statement here.

16 hours ago, TGIR said:

What a freaking joke this verdict is.   Anyone with a heartbeat and a brain would convict based on the video.   Unbelievable.

The video starts after the shooting, how can you base facts of what happened prior on that?

12 hours ago, Grubster said:

Tell a cop thats in a vulnerable position standing outside your window that you have a gun and then reach behind yourself, suicide in my book. 

Indeed. In South Africa even armed hijackers know how to preserve their own lives.  (I'm not implying Mr. Castille was a criminal - just observing that in many shooting videos in the states the victims often seem to not get the whole "Shut the f up and stop talking back to police thing")

Edited by SABloke

On 6/17/2017 at 9:37 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Wait for the movie. It will justify the killing as only Hollywood can.

Errm, I dont remember anywhere in history, of the black slaves agreeing to be so. America created its own problem by carrying on slavery, well into the 1860's.And for another decade also. Do you really think that this can all be forgotten in just over 150 years?The Americans treated black people as possessions. The atrocities committed by the arrogant, spoiled, people of the South are responsible for this latter  day hatred of white people.I lived in the Southern states in the 80's, and i can tell you quite truthfully that blacks were still second class citizens then.The Black and White problem still exists in the south, even today. And this is all over the plantations needing their cotton and Tobacco picked.The South is indeed a beautiful place, but some of the people are still pig ignorant. Some believe that they speak American, and not English.I will admit that the use of the double negative does not do the Black race any good, but that is neither here nor there. America is sitting on a ticking bomb, these people are not shy to show their anger. I see more riots, as in the case of the King guy. This will never stop.

laws have changed, not people

8 hours ago, SABloke said:

Indeed. In South Africa even armed hijackers know how to preserve their own lives.  (I'm not implying Mr. Castille was a criminal - just observing that in many shooting videos in the states the victims often seem to not get the whole "Shut the f up and stop talking back to police thing")

That guy that got thrown to the ground could sue the cops in the US for to much force, and he would win. Its getting bad I guess. Lock up the criminals and the lawyers.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:50 AM, Briggsy said:

There is no question here, just follow orders and you will be fine. If this guy brings a gun out from behind himself, he would now have the advantage in the gunfight, by time the officer see's the gun he has been shot. Some people think it is easy to avoid this stuff when crazy people don't follow police orders.

In my comment I woud like to see the cops less trigger happy and so willing to kill fellow American citizens, no matter their color, instead of letting a person get out their wallets to show their licences and Identification. Is that more clear  of what I was trying to say?

Geezer