Non-Im B Visa extension and expiring employment contract

Hi,

I am on a Non-im B visa extension that has been granted until next year. I have an annual contract that is expiring in two months.

It is not likely that I will renew my contract with my employer and currently seek employment elsewhere in Thailand. However, I might not be able to sign the new contract with the new employer on time before the old one expires.

I would like to ask what does immigration law specify in terms of my current visa extension, if I don't manage to sign a new contract before the old one expires. My work permit will expire at the same day when my current contract ends, but my visa extension will have about six month left.

Will I technically in breach of immigration rules if I mange to sign a new contract lets say six weeks later? What will be the consequences if I apply for an extension the following year, if I than stay on in the new job?

Edited by BSchoolBBK

Your current extension is tied to your current job. When it ends so does your extension.

The only way to change employers is for the new one to apply for your new work permit and obtain a work permit application approval letter.

Then you would need a termination letter from your current employer to cancel your extension. You would then apply for the new extension on or before the termination date on the letter using the approval letter and documents from you new employer.

Then your current work permit would need to be canceled and your new one issued.

The other option is to cancel your current extension and leave the country to get a tourist visa. Then when you have a work permit approval letter (if not teaching) and go to a nearby embassy or consulate to apply for a new non-b visa and then a new extension.