SURVEY: How safe is Thailand for Expats?

Scott

SURVEY: How dangerous is Thailand for expats?  

331 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think this sums it up:

Safety and security section (Road travel) -– most road traffic accidents involve motorcycles; the World Health Organisation rates Thailand as world's deadliest country for fatalities on motorcycles, citing an average of 5,500 motorcyclist deaths annually
Most road traffic accidents in Thailand involve motorcycles, but accidents involving other vehicles including cars, coaches and mini-buses also occur.
Violent sexual assaults and unprovoked attacks have been reported in popular tourist destinations, including in the Koh Samui archipelago and Krabi province. These are particularly common during the monthly Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars.
Drink spiking has been reported in tourist destinations around Thailand, with both male and female victims. Be careful about taking drinks from strangers and at clubs and parties, or leaving your drinks unattended, particularly in Koh Samui, Pattaya and at the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan, where date rapes have been reported.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Edited by TheLobster
Correction

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted No. Thais have a pretty thick skin considering how offensive many tourists behave. To get murdered you'd have to try pretty hard. I would recommend Thailand for lone travelers over many destinations in the world.

First-timers are most likely to only get ripped off. Not much chance of dying on the road when just doing the road trip from their airport to their resort.

What would you guys who voted Yes give as an alternative? Bali? Bloody annoying touts EVERYWHERE. Vietnam? Boring. Cambodia? Hugely dangerous and incredibly dirty. Now please don't say Maldives etc. I'm talking about affordable holidays averaging 1,500€ for a 2-week holiday (including flights if you aren't partying every night).

Edit: And with the introduction of Uber, Grab we will see much less of these terrible farang road deaths (especially on Samui) because there won't be any more reason to ride around pissed if you don't have to fork out 200-400 Baht every time you want to go a few metres.

Edited by wump

I did not vote. 

It can be both dangerous or safe up to you.

If you come and did a little homework on what there is to do and see and what dangers to be aware of you will be fine.I bought a Lonely  Planet book before coming the first time and read it cover to cover  and it helped a lot. Read a bit about the culture to have an idea.

Or jump on plane with more money than brains and come here and party like you are bullet proof and you may test the bullet proof foolishness.

The only time pattaya is not safe, is if you are stumbling drunk at 3 AM walking down dark alleys. You will probably get robbed. I have been going since 1996, I enjoy drinking partying. Now, i am back at condo usually around 10-12PM..before, i would stay out until 3-5 AM..never have had any problem walking where i was going. Use your head...dont be a butt hole and it is fine. ALSO...people who tend to wear gold around their necks, gold rings, gold watches...WHAT DO YOU EXPECT...you are flaunting wealth to dirt poor people.

1 minute ago, billybog said:

The only time pattaya is not safe, is if you are stumbling drunk at 3 AM walking down dark alleys. You will probably get robbed. I have been going since 1996, I enjoy drinking partying. Now, i am back at condo usually around 10-12PM..before, i would stay out until 3-5 AM..never have had any problem walking where i was going. Use your head...dont be a butt hole and it is fine. ALSO...people who tend to wear gold around their necks, gold rings, gold watches...WHAT DO YOU EXPECT...you are flaunting wealth to dirt poor people.

And apparently feeling good about yourself while doing it.

I think I'd be a bit ashamed, but hey, we're all different eh?

2 minutes ago, billybog said:

TRUMPISH,

I have no idea what you are trying to convey....but, like you said..we are all different.

Fair enough. If you don't know then you don't know. I and some others know, and the OP knows. That's good enough...

1 minute ago, wump said:

@TrumpishWhere did he say that? He made a very sensible post IMO.

He didn't say that, I inferred it. How did I infer it? Long study of linguistics and many years of practice applying it. 

You can't agree? Ok, you're entitled not to agree.

You don't know how to delve beneath the words? That's OK as well, I probably don't know very much about your profession or ex-profession.

1 minute ago, Trumpish said:

Sure, if you can give me a persuasive argument as to why I would give you for free what it took me years and thousands to learn, I'll be happy to.

"I'm so smart and I won't tell you what I think". Is this how this forum works or are you just being a bit of a <deleted> now?

5 minutes ago, wump said:

"I'm so smart and I won't tell you what I think". Is this how this forum works or are you just being a bit of a <deleted> now?

Correct. But to be fair, I have told you what I think. I won't try to explain why I think it, but that's something different.

Edited by Trumpish

Wump,

I have learned that their are some people, who no matter what, have an ax to grind. they feel that they are above anyone else, have more knowledge than anyone...think that if anyone dis agrees with them, they they are completely wrong. I have found that these types of people have no friends, the friends that they think they have are the ones laughing and talking behind their backs.  I come on here once every couple weeks or so, just to see if anything new might be happening. Some people have no life and are here day after day because they are bored, or for whatever reason. I appreciate your replies Wump.....but we are wasting our time trying to argue with some people, there are some people who shouldnt even be given the time of day, let alone a response.  By the way...I will be heading out after this remark...so no need for a certain person to even respond. If you do respond..it will only show that the comment is correct.  Everyone else out there...have a great evening, be safe, and enjoy.

Just now, wump said:

At least we agree then. The whole bickering thing will get deleted anyway so let's just leave it there.

Good idea. Can you explain the difference between bickering and a healthy exchange of conflicting views? I have only expressed my view. How you view that is a combination of how you interpret what I say and your instinctive emotional response to words you don't think ought to be right. All of which is perfectly natural.

Have a great (what remains of the ) day.

You are not expressing any views. When being asked why you accuse someone of feeling superior to Thais you only reply with "I won't tell. I'm so smart, I can read between the lines". Absolutely not okay IMO.

2 minutes ago, billybog said:

Wump,

I have learned that their are some people, who no matter what, have an ax to grind. they feel that they are above anyone else, have more knowledge than anyone...

We all feel better when we converse with people at a level. I'm very happy to see you're trying to find the right level for you. Let me know if I can help you with that. Enjoy your night out - and don't get mugged...

Why instead of all this mystery don't you just post your opinion to his reply? Trying to get you post count up, want to sound smart or just a little wasted at this time of the day?

Edit: You just kinda posted a personal attack (inferring the other poster is stupid), which is against forum rules. Any chance your post count is so low because you had to re-signup?

Edited by wump

9 minutes ago, wump said:

You are not expressing any views. When being asked why you accuse someone of feeling superior to Thais you only reply with "I won't tell. I'm so smart, I can read between the lines". Absolutely not okay IMO.

Oh. Sorry. You do rather move the goalposts though. First you say I wasn't saying what I thought, then it's why I thought it and now you attribute to me comments I never made. who'd have thought a conversation could be so tiring?

And you claim to feel lost. So do I now... better off having a cold beer I think.

Still, useful to reflect that I am not, nor do I feel, nor should you think I am stupid for not knowing something that you do happen to know. And the reverse applies.

Edited by Trumpish

I tend not to recommend people come to Thailand alone -- but then those that ask are usually people that I have some connection to and they could call if they have trouble.   

The country, IMO, is not exceptionally dangerous, but the cultural difference between many western countries and Thailand is really great for the average person who isn't an experienced traveler.

So much of it depends on what it is they plan on doing.    Spending a couple of weeks in Pattya, Hua Hin or Phuket at a resort is reasonably safe.   Some are more adventurous and likely to get into trouble.