Government Motorbike Insurance.

My motorbike is the first one I have had that is registered in my name and has 1st class insurance. Do I still have to get government insurance when I already have 1st class insurance when

I go to tax it? Thanks.

While we are on the subject,  what does this compulsory insurance cover and who....!?  I hear it's the so called 3rd-party as it's called in UK. 

I bought the scooter from a friend and transferred the green book to my name,  but that insurance till Jan 2018 is in his name, dies that mean that insurance does not work if I have accident now...! 

Covers death or injury to other people. Very limited cover. Covers nothing with regards to property just 50,000B for injury, 200,000B for death. Count on it being worthless (although finding other cover for small bikes is nigh on impossible).

9 hours ago, naboo said:

Covers death or injury to other people. Very limited cover. Covers nothing with regards to property just 50,000B for injury, 200,000B for death. Count on it being worthless (although finding other cover for small bikes is nigh on impossible).

Certainly not worthless, covers most hospital costs, my neighbour had a fall, broke his leg all hospital costs paid.

13 hours ago, Agusts said:

While we are on the subject,  what does this compulsory insurance cover and who....!?  I hear it's the so called 3rd-party as it's called in UK. 

I bought the scooter from a friend and transferred the green book to my name,  but that insurance till Jan 2018 is in his name, dies that mean that insurance does not work if I have accident now...! 

Doesn't matter whose name is on bike book it's the bike that's insured that's what gov compulsory insurance is for just make sure you have your road tax disc.

Here's one ref of many :-

https://www.frank.co.th/en/car-insurance/ctpl-insurance

You can get voluntary insurance for extra cover if you wish. :smile:

12 hours ago, naboo said:

Not true did you read OP's opening post. :smile: