UBJ i would pay money to hear your thoughts on immigration reform

What do you mean by immigration reform?

There is not much that can be done for many things unless they amend or issue a new immigration act. The one from 1979 is outdated but it must have a do not touch notice on it since it has not even been amended. Only workarounds of it have  been done by way of ministerial orders.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What do you mean by immigration reform?

There is not much that can be done for many things unless they amend or issue a new immigration act. The one from 1979 is outdated but it must have a do not touch notice on it since it has not even been amended. Only workarounds of it have  been done by way of ministerial orders.

and by way of implication, a new act might be even worse given thailand's current ultra nationalism , conservativism; you did mention amendments (lack of), how about amending eliminating the 90 day reporting ?

A couple of years ago I suggested that certain high income foreign expats be allowed to establish businesses on-line in Thailand.

As long as their business was conducted ONLY on the internet from Thailand, they would be allowed to live in Thailand.

The "quid-pro-quo" for that was that these foreigners be required to pay Thai taxes at a preferential  rate to the Thai government on that part of their on-line income that was transferred to Thailand for their use to live in Thailand.

I was thinking of such people as writers, movie producers, artists, and such that may earn a high salary.....professionals in their chosen fields.

This could be done WITHOUT them working for a Thai company and therefore NOT NEEDING a Thai work permit.

The benefit to the Thai government would be that they would have access to these highly paid professionals and their money that was transferred into Thailand in tax revenue.

The advantage to these highly paid  foreign professionals would be that Thai tax rates are lower than tax rates in Europe or the U.S.A.

As they would only be taxed on the income they actually brought into Thailand they would generally pay tax at preferable rates by moving to Thailand to live.

I saw this as a win-win situation both for Thailand who would get  apart of their on-line income as tax revenue for Thailand, and the high paid foreign workers would for their tax revenue be given the right to live in Thailand if they ONLY earned their income on the internet.

Of course, no one ever listened to me.

It never happened, probably because the idea was to new and officials, in Thailand and elsewhere, are scared of new ideas and innovation.

I should have known better.

IMA Falang, a really great idea....  but have nothing to do about this thread.... Maybe open your own, and give some light to your idea..

Anyhow great idea..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

58 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A couple of years ago I suggested that certain high income foreign expats be allowed to establish businesses on-line in Thailand.

As long as their business was conducted ONLY on the internet from Thailand, they would be allowed to live in Thailand.

The "quid-pro-quo" for that was that these foreigners be required to pay Thai taxes at a preferential  rate to the Thai government on that part of their on-line income that was transferred to Thailand for their use to live in Thailand.

I was thinking of such people as writers, movie producers, artists, and such that may earn a high salary.....professionals in their chosen fields.

This could be done WITHOUT them working for a Thai company and therefore NOT NEEDING a Thai work permit.

The benefit to the Thai government would be that they would have access to these highly paid professionals and their money that was transferred into Thailand in tax revenue.

The advantage to these highly paid  foreign professionals would be that Thai tax rates are lower than tax rates in Europe or the U.S.A.

As they would only be taxed on the income they actually brought into Thailand they would generally pay tax at preferable rates by moving to Thailand to live.

I saw this as a win-win situation both for Thailand who would get  apart of their on-line income as tax revenue for Thailand, and the high paid foreign workers would for their tax revenue be given the right to live in Thailand if they ONLY earned their income on the internet.

Of course, no one ever listened to me.

It never happened, probably because the idea was to new and officials, in Thailand and elsewhere, are scared of new ideas and innovation.

I should have known better.

The problem was that YOU suggested it. Tell the idea to a Thai colleague and let him run with it. Let him take all the credit and then watch them fawn over this magnificent idea created by a Thai no less. There will be much celebrating and patting of backs.

You just sit there and smile. 

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

and by way of implication, a new act might be even worse given thailand's current ultra nationalism , conservativism; you did mention amendments (lack of), how about amending eliminating the 90 day reporting ?

Ultra nationalism and conservatism is currently at least equally rife in most Western countries, I think.

And little can be done about 90-day reporting until/unless the 1979 Immigration Act is amended. Don't see this as being a top priority for the present government, though.

In any case, isn't the continuation of 90-day reporting a price worth paying in comparison to the draconian measures you appear to foresee in any replacement Act?

Edited by OJAS

On 6/20/2017 at 9:07 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

I would suggest this be allowed for anyone earning more than 3x the average Thai salary (transferred into Thailand and taxes paid on it).  It's all "free money" pouring into the Thai economy and no Thai jobs are lost - so why not?

Note that if American, you have to pay there, anyway - though you can deduct what you pay in Thailand from some parts of your US-taxes (but not the 'from the first dollar' 15% 'self-employment' tax).

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

Ultra nationalism and conservatism is currently at least equally rife in most Western countries, I think.

It is in "talk" - but not in action.  I do not see any actual policy-changes which limit people entering and competing with Americans for jobs - yet.  And in Europe, with the exceptions of some former Eastern-Bloc countries (Poland, Czechoslovakia, Poland), and a bit of effort in Britain (mostly held-off until Brexit), they are being flooded with foreigners, and their leaders (even recently-elected) are encouraging it.  Italy is even allowing boats to go out for pre-planned / radio-coordinated 'rescue' operations of economic-migrants just off the coast of Africa, and bring them across the Mediterranean.  The new-arrivals take over blocks of cities, and demand the locals adhere to their (sharia) customs, under threat of violence.

There is NO parallel with what is happening in the West vs Thailand.  Those coming to Thailand bring their own money, so their presence actually benefits the Thai people - while those entering the USA and Europe immediately begin drawing public-assistance, and make those nations' citizens poorer.  I cannot even imagine an "undocumented" (read: "illegal") immigrant ever having any "rights" in Thailand - nor should they. 

And can you imagine if we Farang started 'demanding' Thai culture be altered to suit us?  I mean, the nerve of these people, spraying water on us holy-Westerners during Songkran - they should cow-tow to our customs (for the dense, that statement is a joke/irony).  Let us hope that never happens, as I stay here FOR Thai Culture, generally - not in spite of it.