I Just Got Back From Poi Pet With 4th Stamp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much ado about nothing as I just got back from Poi Pet with my 4th stamp since Oct 1 and not a word was spoken. My stamps are as follows:

Oct 3

Nov 1

Dec 2

Dec 29

Just as a matter of interest, what would you have done if they had refused you entry??

Good luck to you even though I think you are playing a dangerous game :o

The attachment shows how I calculated Fred’s visa-exempt stays in Thailand since October 1. I arrived at a total of 90 days.

--

Maestro

Using the calculator page it shows 87 days (plus need to add one for the first day) = 88 just using the start date and stop date, not calculating each group of dates.

The attachment shows how I calculated Fred’s visa-exempt stays in Thailand since October 1. I arrived at a total of 90 days.

--

Maestro

Using the calculator page it shows 87 days (plus need to add one for the first day) = 88 just using the start date and stop date, not calculating each group of dates.

Maestro is correct. Today (Dec. 29) is the 90th day, starting with and including Oct. 1.

I think it's wishful thinking to expect any immigration official to look at all your entry and exit stamps and count the number of days you've actually been in Thailand. That's hard enough when you only go between Thailand and a neighbor and back, but for people who travel around to several countries and have Thai stamps separated by numerous others, it will be a chore -- and if there's a long line of people waiting to enter, forget about immigration officers doing math on every passport.

I think (and I read this in the forum a couple months ago) they're only counting the number of stamps, not calculating days between each entry and exit. If so, then three stamps is the limit, even if you stay only one day on each stamp.

I also went to Poi Pet today. I was an overstay -- by one day. 500 baht fine. No "one day, no pay" treatment for me.

PB said; "I just read third-hand of a guy who took 2.5 hours to go across and back at a Thai border that normally takes 20 minutes. Seems as though the officers were checking every page, adding up days frantically, and giving as few as 7 days to stay in Thailand, as in 90-83=70."

Now I know why I always thought I was paying IRS too much.

Maestro is correct. Today (Dec. 29) is the 90th day, starting with and including Oct. 1.

The OP shows Oct 3 as first day, so it still comes out as 88 days - just hand counted them + they match the date calculator.

in any case when he got his 4th stamp he apparently got 30 more days so now he is good for a total of 83 + 30 = 113

PB said; "I just read third-hand of a guy who took 2.5 hours to go across and back at a Thai border that normally takes 20 minutes. Seems as though the officers were checking every page, adding up days frantically, and giving as few as 7 days to stay in Thailand, as in 90-83=70."

Now I know why I always thought I was paying IRS too much.

You mean, some people actually pay the IRS? Now, to get out of my,,, urrh, erm, apparent error, I was claiming that the Thai officers were doing the math.....chaimai?

The OP shows Oct 3 as first day, so it still comes out as 88 days - just hand counted them + they match the date calculator.

in any case when he got his 4th stamp he apparently got 30 more days so now he is good for a total of 83 + 30 = 113

Lots of Einsteins on this board :o

Congratulation for Fred.

But Maestro made a mistake : first entry stamp on 3 october. Last one 28 december. Total 87 days.

;-)

The rule is : max 90 days with visa exemptions. Not the number of stamps. It has been discussed here many times.

However, we may have here a first loophole : get anoter stamp after 89 days. And total duration would be : 89 + 30 !

I think (and I read this in the forum a couple months ago) they're only counting the number of stamps, not calculating days between each entry and exit. If so, then three stamps is the limit, even if you stay only one day on each stamp.

Edited by cclub75

Congratulation for Fred.

But Maestro made a mistake : first entry stamp on 3 october. Last one 28 december. Total 87 days.

;-)

The rule is : max 90 days with visa exemptions. Not the number of stamps. It has been discussed here many times.

If that's so shouldn't he have been given 3 days instead of 30 on the fourth stamp?

Congratulation for Fred.

;-)

If that's so shouldn't he have been given 3 days instead of 30 on the fourth stamp?

3 days would be correct in the way we vie it, but this is Thai immigration and we cannot guess how they are calculating. Maybe this indeed is the first loop hole

Just like an non immigrant o visa, couple of days before year runs out, do one more visa run and get a total of 15 months instead of 12 months.

Maybe just maybe this is the case with the new rules ?

Time will tell

Hey guys. I knew that making this run was risky to say the least but I did wish to test it. I figured the worst case was being given 7 days to leave the country and I was prepared to do that (Cambodia). Don't know where I had heard that one but. In reading some of these posts I suppose I could have been given 2 or 3 days depending on the calculation. Better than being stuck in Poi Pet, that's not something I was prepped for

3 days would be correct in the way we vie it, but this is Thai immigration and we cannot guess how they are calculating. Maybe this indeed is the first loop hole

Absolutly. 3 days would be correct.

We have only a bunch of solutions :

-we all misinterpreted the regulations

-thai immigration won't apply the regulations

-the officer was :

-stupid

-lazy

Or... I see something else :

-if you have less than 90 days, and you arrive at the border, officer will give you a last stamp (of 30 days), it could be a way for the immigration to be "jaidee". :o

-but if you arrive at border with 90 days or more, then you would be denied a new stamp.

Congratulation for Fred.

It's you who have made an error. The OP's 3rd entry was on Dec 2, giving him 30 days until Dec 31. He didn't make his visa runs on the last day of his previous stamps...and one time he actually overstayed.

Edited by tropo

Congratulation for Fred.

It's you who have made an error. The OP's 3rd entry was on Dec 2, giving him 30 days until Dec 31. He didn't make his visa runs on the last day of his previous stamps...and one time he actually overstayed.

Misunderstanding : i'm speaking about effective days of presence in thailand.

This is the criteria : not the number of stamp, not the number of total days given by your stamps, but the number of days you stay in Thailand.

For Fred, it was 87.

So for his fourth stamp, officier shoud have give him... 3 days.