Camera suggestion for videography

I want to start getting into videography. I have thought about the CANON G7X Mark II. Is this a good model to start off with? Are there any comparable cameras that do the same things for less money? The quality of the videos and pictures should be worth putting on Youtube and so on. I opted for the CANON because I have had only good experiences with digital cameras from CANON in the past. I'm open to any comments and suggestions. Thanks guys.

Check into the mirrorless Panasonic line.  GX8, G80/85 and the GH5.  

What's the million YouTube videos out there on these and she if that is a form factor you might like.

Sony have some pretty good models too depending what you are looking for - The A6300, the RX10 or the RX100.

I have used the Sony mirrorless recently and they are a very nice camera, maybe a bit too many options to be honest.

I owned Nikon in the past and would never touch another one due to poor reliability. Had some experience with Canon, but overall, Sony has proved to be the most reliable camera I have ever used.

Forget Canon, Nikon, Sony or any of the others. I'm a Nikon Photographer and if I had it to buy over again I would not have bought my D750 I would have gone this route instead.

Here is just one of the Amazing Video camera platforms this company offers. Also look at the Mavic and the New Spark.

For the amount of money you are looking at with the canon you could  get one of these and really push your video dreams to the limit.

http://www.dji.com/

After you invest in the camera, you'll have to buy a stabilizer and the learning curve on it can be steep. Not to mention tiresome. This is why I recommend the uav. You don't have to hold it and keep it steady. The only downside is the flight time.

Good luck! 

On 7/1/2017 at 3:03 AM, SEEDGER said:

After you invest in the camera, you'll have to buy a stabilizer and the learning curve on it can be steep. Not to mention tiresome. This is why I recommend the uav. You don't have to hold it and keep it steady. The only downside is the flight time.

Good luck! 

As mentioned in my earlier post, Olympus cameras have stabilisation built in. 

On 6/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, New007 said:

Which Olympus models would that be? 

Check out Olympus website.   
And YouTube is full of camera reviews.
You'll have to decide on sensor size and then lens selection, both based on the type of videos you plan to shoot.
Sooooo many options out there.  I hope you're better at deciding than I am.  555

FracturedRabbit:  Did you shoot that video?  The last 2 look smooth, gimbal like.

On 7/5/2017 at 5:04 PM, Nowisee said:

Check out Olympus website.   
And YouTube is full of camera reviews.
You'll have to decide on sensor size and then lens selection, both based on the type of videos you plan to shoot.
Sooooo many options out there.  I hope you're better at deciding than I am.  555

FracturedRabbit:  Did you shoot that video?  The last 2 look smooth, gimbal like.

No, it's from DPReview; but I have shot 4k video with a 150mm lens (300mm effective) and it is so stable; normally impossible with a handheld camera at such a focal length. Great for stills too, I basically don't worry about low shutter speeds. This was taken at 1/3rd second hand held (and my hands are not exactly shake free...).

OL173503.jpg

19 hours ago, Nowisee said:

With the 150mm?

I actually like the small amount of motion look in the the people legs.  

That one was with the 12-100mm. Yes, the motion blur accentuates the temple which is meant to be the subject of the shot.

• 1 month later...

Archived