Thai Airways rated as world’s best economy airline

webfact

Bangkok Airways also took home two awards: World's Best Regional Airline and Best Regional Airline in Asia.

Rip off airways always does well. Because they charge 5 times the price of a normal flight they can afford to provide some lounges and extras. They will have a lot of tourists on package holidays that will give them a plus without realising what mercenary's they are.

Despite the high prices, the quality of food has deteriorated significantly, the check is no better than basic domestic airlines and many times I have had to get a bus to the plane and vice versa rather than the plane being docked at a gate in BKK. Given the price they charge that is a disgrace.

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Well if they say so, but the quality and price notion remains unbeatable with Emirates!!

Too bad one can not enjoy that great food of them, because they have added extra rows. Neighbour's elbow in my food - never again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

in Emirates A380's or Boeing 777's??????????????

Don't know - it happened at both DUS - Dubai & Dubai -  BKK and VV.

I think 2 years ago.

Also the aisles were extremely narrow, waitresses bumping into the passengers.

But great food and abundant drinks yes.

10 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Well if they say so, but the quality and price notion remains unbeatable with Emirates!!

I used to think that as I wasn't flying from London and the trip was quite short, but now after trying many other airlines I'm pretty sure that they are in amongst the worst.

Also flying on a big plane like an A380 is a nightmare unless you are in business or first class. There are so many economy passengers that they don't fit into the gate, the baggage comes off on 2 carousels and the queues for check in are horrendous.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I think 2 years ago.

well sorry for your bad experiences...on my side often had the full row of seats emply in the 777 and always had enough space in the A380 from DXB to BKK...last year and this year anyhow....

but I do recall now that you mention it, 2 or 3 years ago, when the first A380's came out off the lines under Emirates pavillon, it was a bit cramped in ECY class!....looks that they changed the seating since, as I never had any seating issues last year or this year...or maybe I lost a bit of weight:cheesy:

perhaps the planes are fitted differently depending on the port of embarkment, on which season you fly etc. etc. ....

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

I used to think that as I wasn't flying from London and the trip was quite short, but now after trying many other airlines I'm pretty sure that they are in amongst the worst.

Also flying on a big plane like an A380 is a nightmare unless you are in business or first class. There are so many economy passengers that they don't fit into the gate, the baggage comes off on 2 carousels and the queues for check in are horrendous.

funny, never had such issues in either of the different plane types, but as I said above...depends on different factors.

• Like 1

We flew Thai only once, last new year BKK - Kathmandu - BKK.

Poor food and poor service.

My wife - Thai - asked me "have you seen the Thai smile yet?"....

But Thai now has a promotion Brussels - BKK - Brussels for 525 euro.

This Saturday I will find out what their long haul flights are like.

As for Emirates,  as you say, it could have been bad luck - 4 times - but I now discovered Turkish, not bad, and next Saturday Thai.

Best experience ever was Sri Lankan, but they fly to Frankfurt, not Brussels.

(all this is in economy class, I do not want to pay 3 or 4 times that price for business)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

We flew Thai only once, last new year BKK - Kathmandu - BKK.

Poor food and poor service.

My wife - Thai - asked me "have you seen the Thai smile yet?"....

But Thai now has a promotion Brussels - BKK - Brussels for 525 euro.

This Saturday I will find out what their long haul flights are like.

As for Emirates,  as you say, it could have been bad luck - 4 times - but I now discovered Turkish, not bad, and next Saturday Thai.

Best experience ever was Sri Lankan, but they fly to Frankfurt, not Brussels.

(all this is in economy class, I do not want to pay 3 or 4 times that price for business)

wish you a pleasant flight -  bon voyage and give feedback on your experience

• Like 1

Every airline seems to have it' strong and weak points.

And direct or with stopover both have + & - to it.

We always fly the cheapest.... changes from year to year.

Air Berlin - before the take over cheap, simple and good.

Egyptair - lots of legroom but we were left hungry, no drinks, people smoking in the toilets, Cairo airport never again

Qantas - good, but long side trip to London

Sri Lankan - very good in all aspects, but fly to Frankfurt, next train

Jetairfly Belgium - excellent but always delays & no info - now stopped

Emirates - cramped when we used it, now? If they give me a 50% discount I will try them again

Etihad - not good not bad, more of a low budget airline

Turkish - excellent in the air, but worst website ever (that is, if you manage to get in) and finding a toilet in Istanbul is challenging

Austrian, officially Tirolean Airlines - we flew them because we were so overwhelmed by a great holiday in Tirol, but bad food and a 10 km (...) walk at our stopover in Vienna.

Thai - I will report this weekend

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes Skytrax has been doing credible polls and assessments of airlines and airports for many, many years and is pretty much the industry standard on the latest opinions and THAI coach is alright.

I would agree with that assessment. Swampy is an average airport and doesn't deserve to be rated in the bottom. If they fixed inbound and outbound immigration queues, and spent a little bit on cosmetic maintenance, it would be a decent airport.

Thai Economy Class is also ok with a good level of service. Some of the planes are a bit worn and could use renovation. However, what the reward does not reflect is the value.If you also include price in the assessment, Thai Airways would not be number one. I fly regularly to North America and Thai Airways never shows up on the first page of results sorted by price. They are usually $1000 CDN higher than other decent airlines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brucec64 said:

I would agree with that assessment. Swampy is an average airport and doesn't deserve to be rated in the bottom. If they fixed inbound and outbound immigration queues, and spent a little bit on cosmetic maintenance, it would be a decent airport.

Thai Economy Class is also ok with a good level of service. Some of the planes are a bit worn and could use renovation. However, what the reward does not reflect is the value.If you also include price in the assessment, Thai Airways would not be number one. I fly regularly to North America and Thai Airways never shows up on the first page of results sorted by price. They are usually $1000 CDN higher than other decent airlines.

Thai from Europe is above average price.

But Thai from Europe (return) is a lot cheaper than Thai from BKK (return).

I have a return ticket BRU - BKK - BRU for 525 euro, on the return flight my wife will be with me for..... 550 one way!

Same from US?

Thai from Europe is above average price.
But Thai from Europe (return) is a lot cheaper than Thai from BKK (return).
I have a return ticket BRU - BKK - BRU for 525 euro, on the return flight my wife will be with me for..... 550 one way!
Same from US?

Of the direct economy flights from
London Thai is generally the cheapest other than when EVA are doing a promotion. BA is generally the most expensive and the worst I have experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Either all this is very very clever marketing, or marketeers playing silly games at the expense of both customers and their own companies.

I think I know the answer - I used to be a macro economics lecturer at a technical university that specialized in Marketing courses.... I know these marketing  boys & girls....

in 30 years of flying the only airline whose employees stole from me and then customer care told me it was my fault they stole from me. some twisted logic. plus seats that dont recline and announcements not to lie on the floor, haven't flow with them for years and never will again. love etihad and qatar.

12 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Qatar is good. Much better than Etihad. Flying into Bangkok Etihad dared to serve a Thai meal with about two spoonfuls of rice in it: minor mutiny. 

Me and the missus are getting Qatar airlines Al Maha service on way back , about 4000 baht each, Get picked up from ramp taken to lounge where you sit and have a coffee while they get your bags, immigration then come and check your details , the a porter takes your bags to a waiting taxi. Well worth the dough. Google Al Maha service if you fancy it , can book online seperately to flight.

Just now, Dave67 said:

Me and the missus are getting Qatar airlines Al Maha service on way back , about 4000 baht each, Get picked up from ramp taken to lounge where you sit and have a coffee while they get your bags, immigration then come and check your details , then a porter takes your bags to a waiting taxi. Well worth the dough. Google Al Maha service if you fancy it , can book online seperately to flight.

14 hours ago, Naam said:

the "downside" is that i am flying next week Emirates first class to Frankfurt via Dubai and pay 23,000 Baht less than Thai charges for business class. go figure! :whistling:

I imagine a large part of that would have to do with the "via Dubai" part. Emirates is subsidized by the Dubai emirate and as that is their home (/hub) probably pay a lot less for landing/gate fees (and fuel) than Thai does.

There may be other charges/fees involved as well that.

For example, in 2008 I booked a round-trip business class ticket on Philippines Air from Bangkok to Vancouver (via Manila of course). As I was going to Canada to pick up my father and bring him to Thailand for a holiday, I booked him a round-trip business class ticket from Vancouver to Bangkok (via Manila).

I flew to Canada, picked up dad, we flew together back to Thailand, then he flew home to Canada on his own at the end of the vacation.

His ticket was 9,000 baht more than mine, despite it being the exact same route, same class, even the same seats ! It had to do with the fact that my "trip" originated in Bangkok, while his "trip" originated in Vancouver. Didn't matter that I booked both tickets at the same time (from Thailand). It had to do with where the "trip" started from.

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I think 2 years ago.

That'll be the Emirates 777 with its shocking 3-4-3 seating configuration, which it simply wasn't designed for unless Boeing had the transportation of convicts in mind.

• Like 1

I've got 2 Chums who come here from Vancouver,,one flys to America to get a descent priced flight, the other one says he's Stupid, one glad I'm not Canadian after listening to them, seems Canadas run by a Liberall Comity in all departments. Did a Fly Drive Holiday 35 years ago and loved the place though TAP , Portuguese Airline so no hassle whatsoever..But back on Topic, been to Germany,London, Melbourne on Thai , enjoyed every trip with them . Favorite Airline.Air Newzeland.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect