When Did You Forget God?

corkscrew

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not a belief in God or religion that one must consider...it is the significance of religious ritual and symbolism in peoples lives.

I once found myself at an early morning mass at a church in Latin America after buying a bottle of vodka from the early opening local bodega. I had a look at the people that were attending and found them transfixed on the performance going on at the altar. It occurred to me that it was not their Christian belief that they were celebrating but the ritual associated with that belief.

I used to derride religion as nonsense but to ignore it's ritual significance is to prohibit a basic understanding of our fellow humans. We must not forget that births, marriages and deaths are usually all commemorated within within a religious ritual context. It was an epiphany...I've looked at religion differently since then...

it is not a belief in God or religion that one must consider...it is the significance of religious ritual and symbolism in peoples lives.

I once found myself at an early morning mass at a church in Latin America after buying a bottle of vodka from the early opening local bodega. I had a look at the people that were attending and found them transfixed on the performance going on at the altar. It occurred to me that it was not their Christian belief that they were celebrating but the ritual associated with that belief.

I used to derride religion as nonsense but to ignore it's ritual significance is to prohibit a basic understanding of our fellow humans. We must not forget that births, marriages and deaths are usually all commemorated within within a religious ritual context. It was an epiphany...I've looked at religion differently since then...

There's a very interesting perspective on ritual , tradition, etc in an interview with Ajahn Sumedho at

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9280/asint1.htm

With thanks to Camerata on the Buddhism forum for the link.

tutsi, that's a really cool contribution! :o

Slightly off topic, but I'm just wondering what you did with the vodka?

tutsi, that's a really cool contribution! :o

whaaad??? I drank it and went back and got another, of course...by that time it was early afternoon and I probably sent my empliada Emita to make the purchase and get some oranges for juice as well...'Emitaaa, andar comprarme naranjitaaas...'

was sitting in my dead mother's house contemplating religion and mortality and playing with a .22 revolver that I found in her bedroom...

If anybody's interested in exploring this issue in a slightly analytical/academic way, just buy and read an excellent book called

"The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins, Professor for the Public Understanding of Science (some title!) at Oxford University, UK.

The book was published a few months ago in 2006 and is available through Amazon and all usual channels (probably at Asia books in TH). It will become one of the classics in this field. I read it over Christmas - couldn't put it down.

Here is a part review from Amazon... for people who are interested...

The author will be getting a cold reception at the pearly gates! :o

His basic argument is that the collective irrational belief in "The God Hypothesis" is not only wrong ("intellectual high treason"), but pernicious in its resulting intolerance, oppression, bigotry, arrogance, child abuse, homophobia, abortion-clinic bombings, cruelties to women, war, suicide bombers, and educational systems that teach ignorance when it comes to math and science. Sure to provoke his adversaries, Dawkins not only portrays the "psychotic" God of the Old Testament as "arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" (p. 31), but also challenges, quite convincingly, every major argument for God's existence...

This guy is going to hel_l.

Edited by Grover

If anybody's interested in exploring this issue in a slightly analytical/academic way, just buy and read an excellent book called

"The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins, Professor for the Public Understanding of Science (some title!) at Oxford University, UK.

The book was published a few months ago in 2006 and is available through Amazon and all usual channels (probably at Asia books in TH). It will become one of the classics in this field. I read it over Christmas - couldn't put it down.

His basic argument is that the collective irrational belief in "The God Hypothesis" is not only wrong ("intellectual high treason"), but pernicious in its resulting intolerance, oppression, bigotry, arrogance, child abuse, homophobia, abortion-clinic bombings, cruelties to women, war, suicide bombers, and educational systems that teach ignorance when it comes to math and science. Sure to provoke his adversaries, Dawkins not only portrays the "psychotic" God of the Old Testament as "arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" (p. 31), but also challenges, quite convincingly, every major argument for God's existence...

yeah...he should tell that to sum illiterate campesino in the andean highlands...

When you are in your darkest hour of your life, will you look for someone to help?

Religion is definately a tool to be used for many people to "tow the line".

As long as you have common courtesy, decensey and kindness, I beleive you can choose to stay away from religious intitutions.

Just some of my thoughts.

"There are no atheists in foxholes."

Unless you have been in a foxhole, you don't understand the validity of this statement. When I was in Vietnam, I had a lot of occasions when I prayed to anybody who would listen...that included God, Buddha, Mohammed, Confuscius, and the First Sergeant in the Sky. Did it work? I'm still here. And I still pray to them.

"There are no atheists in foxholes."

Unless you have been in a foxhole, you don't understand the validity of this statement. When I was in Vietnam, I had a lot of occasions when I prayed to anybody who would listen...that included God, Buddha, Mohammed, Confuscius, and the First Sergeant in the Sky. Did it work? I'm still here. And I still pray to them.

nice one fp.

You don't need religions that don't work in your life. If you haven't found one that 'works' for you - answers some questions that otherwise have no answers; helps you every day; makes you be happy or content; teaches you what is of highest value; gives you hope and love - then you haven't found enough reasons to appreciate God or religion.

Organized religions that teach people to hate and kill are worse than worthless. A practical faith that works in the real world, loving and saving, is worth believing and trusting with all your heart.

I found one that works, a God worthy of the name. I hope you find yours.

You don't need religions that don't work in your life. If you haven't found one that 'works' for you - answers some questions that otherwise have no answers; helps you every day; makes you be happy or content; teaches you what is of highest value; gives you hope and love - then you haven't found enough reasons to appreciate God or religion.

Organized religions that teach people to hate and kill are worse than worthless. A practical faith that works in the real world, loving and saving, is worth believing and trusting with all your heart.

an american God has instructed the Iraquis to execute Saddam Hussein...I can just hear the sniggering at the White House "get them Arabs to do it...their religion is always loosely interpreted and they don't value life anyway...".

I fear greatly for the ensuing conflagration...

an american God has instructed the Iraquis to execute Saddam Hussein...I can just hear the sniggering at the White House "get them Arabs to do it...their religion is always loosely interpreted and they don't value life anyway...".

I fear greatly for the ensuing conflagration...

Amazing that given the administration's interpretation of its so-called religion, how true it is of their own "religion"

has any of you -who "forgot God"- thought of the possibility that you might hurt the feelings of other forum-participants?

years ago in Viet Nam i have seen quite a number of "tough" atheists who cried not only for their mummies but for God to help them when their intestines were hanging out of their bellies or one of their legs was missing.

:o

has any of you -who "forgot God"- thought of the possibility that you might hurt the feelings of other forum-participants?

years ago in Viet Nam i have seen quite a number of "tough" atheists who cried not only for their mummies but for God to help them when their intestines were hanging out of their bellies or one of their legs was missing.

Very Good Point from the Good Dr..

To each his own I say...

Did God ever allow even one of these amputees to grow another limb? Or, does God hate amputees?

This guy is going to hel_l.

Read Genesis....that is one scary piece of fiction. That God is all of the above....plus he is indecisive and crazy.

As for me, an agnostic, I believe in God for no other reasons than I hope there is something out there that examples itself far better than we have thus far.

I once thought, no, I once imagined I saw god. It was long ago, after flying for some 50 + hours near non-stop, being feed, “beanie’s” (Black Beauty’s) to stay exhaustedly in an illusion of alertness. I landed on Hilltop without a name just a number as I recall it was becoming shrouded in a dense Scottish Moor like fog.

It was out of a thick mist where I saw a man approaching, appearing first as a head, then attached to an upper Torso and walking as if he was walking on the clouds themselves. I thought was this God coming to take me?

Then Bang, I saw his head disappear, felt a hard painful slap to my face, and heard a very loud voice yelling “Your are Okay! Your all right!” I could not see, nor speak and was chocking on some gooey thick pudding like substance. As this fellow above me cleared it from my mouth, nose and out of my eyes, I saw a face appear above me looking as if in complete terror. Realizing then it was my copilot that was yelling in my headset. I then grasped, it was not god I saw at all. But, a man like me, whose brains and some bone were now sadly splattered all over me and my face.

It was at that moment, that I vowed, I don’t need to know if there is a god or not, it only matters that I believe in a hope that there is one. For if I die and he is not there, I will not know and if he is there, only I will know and I cannot tell.

TUM DII DAI DII, TUM CHUA DAI CHUA! :o

Happy Trails Buckeroos!!

Did God ever allow even one of these amputees to grow another limb? Or, does God hate amputees?

that's besides the point corkscrew. i asked a rhetorical -and in my view justified- question and gave an example from my personal experience to make a few people (perhaps) think. your questions are irrelevant as far as my posting and the topic of this thread is concerned.

tutsi, that's a really cool contribution! :D

whaaad??? I drank it and went back and got another, of course...by that time it was early afternoon and I probably sent my empliada Emita to make the purchase and get some oranges for juice as well...'Emitaaa, andar comprarme naranjitaaas...'

was sitting in my dead mother's house contemplating religion and mortality and playing with a .22 revolver that I found in her bedroom...

:o:D

Oh.

:D

Back on topic,

I've rarely thought the concept of "God" was silly. Mostly I've had the incllination to believe in the idea of each to their own, and therefore each to their own God. God being used more as a descriptive Noun than any specific title.

God being the form of ideas that keeps you on the straight and narrow.

God being that which inspires you, makes you strive for more.

When you achieve, you are at one with your God, your own concept of it.

Your God could be a notion, a force, it could be your Garden, it could be that waterfall you live nearby to, or the secluded beach spot. What is it that drives you? What is it you wish to get to, or if you've gotten to it, what is it you wish to maintain?

I've rarely been one for actual practicing religion. I nearly converted to Buddhism. Like many, I read the books on Buddhism in the West, then I went to live in a Buddhist country, and I saw how dogmatic and how same same but different it is, as a nationally practiced religion.

Well, I was young and a bit dumber than I am now, and I let that turn me away. I turned to alcohol, I suppose.

If I had then the knowledge I have now, I'd say, it wouldn't matter how the religion is performed by others, but how one performs it oneself, that counts.

Personally, I'd like to get back on track and find what/where/how my own God is. I've been out of touch for too long.

Edited by kayo