Patong - The Wake

Patong2

I thought I'd post on here because the wine I have found is in Phuket, however it's difficult to know which wine thread to post on because there are so many of them and a few of them I just cannot find in the search option, however Linda has helped out, so here goes with this post.

Anyway went to the Villa Market store in Chalong and noticed a red wine from Chile which was on special at 409 baht; it was called Brisa Cabernet Sauvignon and it was the 2018 vintage which appears to be one of the better vintages of late.

I would have bought a bottle to try, but unfortunately I was there in the period when wine cannot be sold.

So if anyone is looking for what would appear to be a decent bottle of red wine, this might be worth trying........and of course reporting back on how it was!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

I thought I'd post on here because the wine I have found is in Phuket, however it's difficult to know which wine thread to post on because there are so many of them and a few of them I just cannot find in the search option, however Linda has helped out, so here goes with this post.

Anyway went to the Villa Market store in Chalong and noticed a red wine from Chile which was on special at 409 baht; it was called Brisa Cabernet Sauvignon and it was the 2018 vintage which appears to be one of the better vintages of late.

I would have bought a bottle to try, but unfortunately I was there in the period when wine cannot be sold.

So if anyone is looking for what would appear to be a decent bottle of red wine, this might be worth trying........and of course reporting back on how it was!

I have yet to find anything I need using the search facility since TV changed servers.

I'll give that wine a try as the Lindemans I bought a couple of weeks ago is still out of stock.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I have yet to find anything I need using the search facility since TV changed servers.

I'll give that wine a try as the Lindemans I bought a couple of weeks ago is still out of stock.

Feedback please MM!

Homemade bangers and mash went down a treat with my wife tonight @ La Drinkeria... mash was as good as mine she exclaimed !!

I won’t be taking her back !! [emoji48]????????

About to go for a walk down Bangla way, have been amazed at how quiet Patong has been today, a bar lady on Nani Rd told us Songkran had been quiet, maybe farang don’t dislike Songkran as much as the Thaivisa crew and they’re all up at Pattaya ?

Ps We were one of three couples to dine here tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

The Burger joint on Nani I noticed when I was here in November, but as you note, it seemed closed (at least whenever I happened past) pity, as I had been craving a burger.

Friends of mine finally took over a large Patong hotel recentlyI, hope it works for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

Thought we would try "La Drinkeria" for latish lunch today at 2pm

Sign on door said 2pm to ......

Blackboard inside said "Open 4pm"

The blackboard was right.

Had to settle for a delicious lunch at "Backside Bistro" a few yards further on and around the corner.

Never had a bad meal here and it is very well priced for Patong.

Its certainly a hot day today 35C in the shade on our balcony and 56% humidity

but better than being cold.

I have just come back to my apartment and when I passed by La Drinkeria it had a big sign outside saying that there was "an open bar for three hours at a cost of 500 baht, all you can drink".

If my calculations are correct that would mean about six normal beers or five shorts as per usual bar prices, so the drinkers amongst us might consider it worthwhile, but not my cup of tea, as the saying goes.

Yes, Patong2, I have heard good reports about the Backside Bistro and it seems to be doing fairly well, and I only hope it succeeds.

I did mention in another post that I would go and have a look at the new Central again, so I did, problem being that on the way there I decided to spend some money which is what I normally do when I'm bored, so 4 new shirts later I ambled into the Central food court and although the surrounds weren't busy, the little dining areas in amongst the fayre on offer were very crowded, almost full in fact, although that doesn't say a lot because I don't think you could pack many people in there even if you tried!

As I mentioned sometime before, the food looked very good indeed and was not expensive IMO, so I must get down there and try it, however I did hear people commenting on the fact that it was very good when I passed by their tables.

The other restaurants in the place were all but empty!

• Like 1

The perimeter restaurants ?
I agree, they seem to be struggling, the outlets in the centre seem to be doing well though.
One thing with Central, if you’re going to use the toilets under the escalators just outside the food court, then don’t forget the aerogard... skeeters are thick.

La Drink on my two visits also gave us complimentary shots of lime vodka when we called for the bill, tasty and a nice touch, not that I’m a spirit guy.
Definitely overstaffed, on the night that they get 15-30 people turn up they’ll be fine [emoji1][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

The perimeter restaurants ?

I meant the few restaurants on basement floor that weren't part of the enclave of various dishes/places in the centre..........couldn't think how else to describe them??

• Like 1

Went out for dinner at 7.30 last night and as it was 34C decided we wanted an air-conditioned place

Decided to go back and try La Drinkeria in Soi Banzaan and very pleasantly surprised.

Both of us had excellent meals, well priced both Euro & Thai and excellent service albeit slow but they updated us 5 mins before etc. 

Nice decor and definitely worth a trip back.

Thanks for the tip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patong2 said:

Went out for dinner at 7.30 last night and as it was 34C decided we wanted an air-conditioned place

Decided to go back and try La Drinkeria in Soi Banzaan and very pleasantly surprised.

Both of us had excellent meals, well priced both Euro & Thai and excellent service albeit slow but they updated us 5 mins before etc. 

Nice decor and definitely worth a trip back.

Thanks for the tip

That's good to hear P2..........thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

An Aussie guy I recently met said that he had been out in Bangla Road a couple of nights previously and there were only about 50 people around???

I found that very difficult to believe and as I was going out that very evening, I was able to see for my own eyes – – – and he was wrong because there were plenty of people around, and as befits low season, nowhere near what there has been, but that's par for course.

Travelling to Bangla at around 8 PM, the bars and restaurants in Nanai were a sorry sight, with just one person in Da Moreno, none in Backside Bistro and one or two farangs dotted about in other bars.

Surprisingly all of the pool tables in Dons Pool Bar had gone and the concrete base was being jack-hammered to bits, so have no idea what's going on there apart from the fact the place was barely frequented day or night, so maybe the end of the road for that place?

Had to feel sorry for the "owner" of a small massage shop which had recently opened near the corner of Rabbit Mansion, because it had closed, this after quite a few months of never seeing a customer in it! Another dream shattered.

Is there a "light on the horizon" or just another farang wishing to lose money? I ask this because I noticed that Montes bar/restaurant seems to have had some sort of resurrection, with a new sign up and tables and chairs outside, but when I passed by the roller blind doors were still down, perhaps in anticipation of yet another "grand opening"?

Sadly there was only one couple dining in La Drinkeria, which has had good feedback here as regards the quality of the food and the ambience of the place.

Bangla was Bangla, with people milling around and quite a few bars which were sparsely populated, and there were more bar girls and go-go touts in Soi Sea Dragon than there were customers, although it would appear that the touts are not that successful in luring customers into the go-go's, because a couple of friends from NZ wanted to look inside, which we did, and apart from us there were only six people in the whole place.

There is of course the mystery as to why shops/establishments keep popping up when others have closed, and perhaps that's just the Thais and the way they think, or of course that they have a farang backer, and that is certainly the case with a lady I know who owns a massage parlour on a main road and who is looking at opening up another one just round the corner, however this one will also include beauty treatments.

I say mystery because the past two or three seasons for the existing massage parlour have been poor, with this past season being particularly poor and with business having almost come to a standstill of late.

Still, nothing like a farang boyfriend to provide the financial backing for another venture...........!!

I still believe there are tougher times ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lashay said:

An exaggeration but not a huge one, May is always quite but this is quietest ever seen by long shot. Hell last week saw New York with about 10 people in it just after midnight, never ever seen that before. Most of rest of normal mainstreet bars are sub 5 customers at anytime most of night.

Saw it for sale online last month

Not only bars having it bad atm (know of 4 that closed this month), Walked down resturant avenue in Jungceylon tonight at dinner time, total of maybe 10 people, in all the restaurants combined. Beach boys are also reporting money way down from normal May.

The thai government really need to do something about the strong baht, tourist spending has been wrecked by it for long time, now by reports exports are getting hit as well.

Yup. Patong is not only quiet like normally in may. It's death. Only some Indians strolling around.

Strong baht and crazy price killing it. Stayed 2 weeks ago at the Mandarin Oriental in KL. What you get here on HKT for the same money? A wannabe '5 star' hotel not more.

Foodlevel at new Central also going the crazy way. At opening the price for crispy ham, honey ham, pork shoulder... were 59 baht/100 gramm. Then 6 weeks ago price went up to 65. Now prices up 75-150 baht/100 gramm. 1500 baht/ 1kg thai pork lol. Totally over the top and no more for me. Only beer and whisky price are still ok.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, xylophone said:

Overall the place did not look busy at all, in fact it was fairly empty......another white elephant perhaps?

Started keeping eye on that food court recently and initially it made no sense to me with the combo court/restaurant set up but from what have seen it actually seems to be somewhat working, around meal times they always seem to have reasonable amount of customers for this quite period.

And yesterday think figured out why (mainly by looking at who going), if you are TV stereotypical regular (expat, retiree, regular tourist monger,small business owner) you are not the target market.

Additionally don't see it aimed/working for Chinese/Indian tourists despite at least two stalls supposedly catering to them, with most generic national  dishes possible

Primary target is first time/second time western tourists who might not be used to/comfortable with normal food court set up or don't exactly trust street food, especially if in a mixed group where all don't necessarily want thai food (or want thai food they feel they can semi trust to be of semi decent quality/cleanliness).

Next target market (and would be primary somewhere like Bangkok) is a place for middle/lower upper managment types to go for "working lunch/dinner", without having  to go full resturant. Seen this week alone 2 Patong Bank managers and Thai GM of large hotel with people there.

Sure its pricier than regular food courts, but from what seen and tried myself it is also bigger portions and better quality than regular food courts

Only one that does not make sense is the headline place that has menu on each table (Ocean something) , sorry but doubt many going to a food court to spend 5000 on seafood shared platter or 1900 on lobster, its not Harrods London after all.

In short, its filling a gap between street/food courts and full resturants (and priced accordingly)  and there is definitely a market for that, so think their success will be really down to getting the word out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lashay said:

Started keeping eye on that food court recently and initially it made no sense to me with the combo court/restaurant set up but from what have seen it actually seems to be somewhat working, around meal times they always seem to have reasonable amount of customers for this quite period.

And yesterday think figured out why (mainly by looking at who going), if you are TV stereotypical regular (expat, retiree, regular tourist monger,small business owner) you are not the target market.

Additionally don't see it aimed/working for Chinese/Indian tourists despite at least two stalls supposedly catering to them, with most generic national  dishes possible

Primary target is first time/second time western tourists who might not be used to/comfortable with normal food court set up or don't exactly trust street food, especially if in a mixed group where all don't necessarily want thai food (or want thai food they feel they can semi trust to be of semi decent quality/cleanliness).

Next target market (and would be primary somewhere like Bangkok) is a place for middle/lower upper managment types to go for "working lunch/dinner", without having  to go full resturant. Seen this week alone 2 Patong Bank managers and Thai GM of large hotel with people there.

Sure its pricier than regular food courts, but from what seen and tried myself it is also bigger portions and better quality than regular food courts

Only one that does not make sense is the headline place that has menu on each table (Ocean something) , sorry but doubt many going to a food court to spend 5000 on seafood shared platter or 1900 on lobster, its not Harrods London after all.

In short, its filling a gap between street/food courts and full resturants (and priced accordingly)  and there is definitely a market for that, so think their success will be really down to getting the word out.

Good point Lashay and you may well be right.

I have tried the food there and think it is good and will eat there again as the prices don't bother me.