Show some patriotism, UK minister tells broadcasters over Brexit

rooster59

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Notice any similarities in what I wrote? Your arguments must be flawed too!

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

You are right, it is not up for debate. But you are wrong, constitutionally, as the referendum result was a valid mandate given to the government, by the people, to give notice under Article 50. The mandate was frustrated by several interventions, including that of R. Miller, with the apparent aim of delaying and possibly voiding it. The Supreme Court did not question the validity of the referendum itself but it did rule that an act of parliament was necessary to enable the actual triggering of Article 50. After more dithering by the Lords, the bill was passed and this actually removes any question of legitimacy. Gina Miller has unwittingly shot herself in the foot! 

The government and parliament had a constitutional duty to honour the referendum result and they know that. That is why, despite all of the interference, the democratic majority vote has been respected. 

Re. the last para. - so far.....

Most remainers are already equating May's (obviously....) vote losing campaign as proof that the electorate has changed its mind on brexit.

It will be 'interesting' to see how the story unfolds - but I'd bet money that it ends up with the UK largely retaining the most disliked parts of the EU, whilst still paying as much, or nearly as much.

Edited by dick dasterdly

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Re. the last para. - so far.....

Most remainers are already equating May's (obviously....) vote losing campaign as proof that the electorate has changed its mind on brexit.

It will be 'interesting' to see how the story unfolds - but I'd bet money that it ends up with the UK largely remaining part of the EU, whilst still paying as much, or nearly as much.

Well they can try and equate what they want to whatever they want but Con/Lab combined got over 80% of the vote and both parties supported leaving the EU as part of their manifestos (probably the only common denominator). 

The interference will continue from all the usual suspects. If the government fails to deliver Brexit in terms of reclaiming full sovereignty then I'm not sure that there will be anyone left who will be electable! In that case, UKIP would definitely be in line for a big rejuvenation!