Unfortunate impact of removing Sukhumvit Night Market

Kinnock

Toast 1 is clearly not o/s, he is clearly here and sees the Pimps many days on his walk to and from work on Sukhumvit 21.

An embarrassing gaf!

The Sukhumvit "pimps" do traffic the women.
I've never seen a movie about Bangkok African prostitution and pimping, perhaps I missed the opening night. I'll have a look on Netflix tonight, when I get home.

I'm perfectly aware of what goes on in real life Sukhumvit, pal, I've been around it for 30 years.

Pal.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Toast 1 is clearly not o/s, he is clearly here and sees the Pimps many days on his walk to and from work on Sukhumvit 21.

An embarrassing gaf!

I've never seen a movie about Bangkok African prostitution and pimping, perhaps I missed the opening night. I'll have a look on Netflix tonight, when I get home.

I'm perfectly aware of what goes on in real life Sukhumvit, pal, I've been around it for 30 years.

Pal.

If you've been around Sukhumvit for 30 years, one would have thought you'd have more in the way of street smarts than you're displaying with these laughable posts.

An embarrassing gaf!

Pal.

LMAO. You may have been around it but clearly never in it.

How embarrassing and you keep insiting free Lancers have pimps

I would have thought the word "free" was a yuuuge clue lol

5 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Bangkok Beat was a great place if you wanted to watch old timers trying to dry hump streetwalkers without dislocating their hip replacement joints.

HAHA, yes it was for me but you need to look more closely back in the dark corner it was never a dry hump... :)

20 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Talking about the old Sukhumvit i was a regular at Bangkok Beat on soi 7.1, a great music bar with plenty of freelancers always had a good time, good music and no problems. Now closed because of the transformation of Sukhumvit.  Now where does this crowd go for live music and freelancers ?????

No live music but Beergarten is still open.  At least for now.

Oh children children. Please try to control your little selves.

All these silly little insults. Do you have nothing better to do?

And all this peacocking about who knows what's really going on.

How old are you, 4?

I will leave you now 

You must follow this immature insults and childish displays of your prowess.

Come on children lets have a few nasty posts.

Let the macho posturing begin!

On 6/27/2017 at 6:59 AM, shadowofacloud said:

I am sorry if my post ruffled your feathers, that was definitely not my intention.

Om shanti from my high Ekkamai perch, LOL.

To be fair your post reminded me of some other guy (or was it also you) who said "my neighborhood" in Ekkamai.

Yeah.... and my country of Thailand....

3 hours ago, toast1 said:

Oh children children. Please try to control your little selves.

All these silly little insults. Do you have nothing better to do?

And all this peacocking about who knows what's really going on.

How old are you, 4?

I will leave you now 

You must follow this immature insults and childish displays of your prowess.

Come on children lets have a few nasty posts.

Let the macho posturing begin!

You must be unaware that all threads on TV exceeding 5 pages gravitate towards an endless exchange of insults (or until the mods close it down)

There is always some smart*ss with far too much time on his hands around, being upset for one reason or another. The best tactic is to get them once - but get them good :)

On 2017-6-28 at 3:37 AM, shadowofacloud said:

Well, Ekkamai is mostly a residential area, often chosen by expats such as myself - as it is quiet, green and not too far from business areas. There are some good restaurants and bars (but that's more of a Thong Lo specialty), nothing, however, with the cheap and sleazy atmosphere of Nana. So I have to disagree - tourists are a rare sight in Ekkamai. Especially the low sort of sex- and alcotourists you stumble upon in Soi 4 and thereabouts.

As for burgers - wouldn't know, as I am a plant eater.

Just keep laughing at the posters who have never ventured beyond the Asoke junction, except to visit Soi Cowboy.

Just keep laughing at the posters who have never ventured beyond the Asoke junction, except to visit Soi Cowboy.

We laugh harder at the posters who pretend they live in the outer suburbs "to get away from sex tourists and gogo bars" when in fact we know they have no choice.

Sadly a lack of finances will always push the poor to the outskirts of any big city's .. That's life unfortunately [emoji27]

54 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

We laugh harder at the posters who pretend they live in the outer suburbs "to get away from sex tourists and gogo bars" when in fact we know they have no choice.

Sadly a lack of finances will always push the poor to the outskirts of any big city's .. That's life unfortunately emoji27.png

I don't just like your post, I love it. :laugh:

Enjoy living in the cesspit of Bangkok and I will continue to enjoy my balcony, swimming pool and sky lounge just a ten minute walk from Asoke. 

Did I mention I own the property too? 

Back in your box sonny. Oh and by the way you should check the prices in Thonglor, you might get another shock. :laugh:

Its the clueless leading the blind on here sometimes! :laugh::laugh:

56 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Sadly a lack of finances will always push the poor to the outskirts of any big city's .. That's life unfortunately emoji27.png

Some of us live in the suburbs because we prefer it. Though getting away from tourists never entered my mind when I moved out there.  I had some fun in the early 80's on lower Sukhumvit (before Nana Plaza even opened - The Grace Hotel, Thermae  and Cowboy), but it all gets quite stale after a while.  Your priorities change, you may start a family, look to improve your future, etc. Everyone is different. I haven't walked down lower Sukhumvit for a number of years now, not because I don't like it but because it no longer holds anything for me.  And I know nothing of people from Africa selling drugs and pimping because they weren't there when I stopped going down there. 

13 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Whether the loitering men are pimps or not not sure but somebody must be making the brown envelopes. How else could "tourists" be whoing openly and driving out the local girls from a prime babystroll spot?

"Driving out the local girls"??

An endless stream of cluelessness and third rate guesswork on this thread.

The local girls haven't been "driven out" by the African whores; they've cleared off because the street bars where a lot of the desperate farang no-hopers used to drink themselves into a stupor have been shut down by the BMA.

They can be found at some of the freelancer clubs - Sugar, Mixx, Insanity.

The Africans are on the street because the clubs deliberately keep their numbers low so as not to piss off the local girls.

Edited by Thai Ron

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

What a strange remark.. i make quite a bit of money but find the sex scene boring. If you lived here for a while and are not old and out of shape its possible to find normal girls without much problems. 

The ones who have no choice are the guys with little or no social skills and looks that would make an ogre feel pretty so they have to resort to sex workers. Alternatively it could be that they want to bed girls 30 year younger than them and then almost everyone has to pay for it. 

I prefer the outskirts a lot if I want to go nana and so on it does not take much effort to get there. 

What a strange remark.. i make quite a bit of money but find the sex scene boring. If you lived here for a while and are not old and out of shape its possible to find normal girls without much problems. 

The ones who have no choice are the guys with little or no social skills and looks that would make an ogre feel pretty so they have to resort to sex workers. Alternatively it could be that they want to bed girls 30 year younger than them and then almost everyone has to pay for it. 

I prefer the outskirts a lot if I want to go nana and so on it does not take much effort to get there. 

God I stopped going to Nana years ago and occasionally head to soi cowboy. However living on lower Sukhumvit you have options, and it's the BUZZ of the place that draws me in. Plenty of 5 star hotels with great seafood buffets, lots of great bars.
Most living on the outskirts inevitably get drawn in but have the hassle of getting back home.

I'm out my front door and into the action within minutes. [emoji3]

If I was going to live in the suburbs I would just go to chiang mai to live... Just as boring but a hell of a lot cheaper

12 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

God I stopped going to Nana years ago and occasionally head to soi cowboy. However living on lower Sukhumvit you have options, and it's the BUZZ of the place that draws me in. Plenty of 5 star hotels with great seafood buffets, lots of great bars.
Most living on the outskirts inevitably get drawn in but have the hassle of getting back home.

I'm out my front door and into the action within minutes. emoji3.png

If I was going to live in the suburbs I would just go to chiang mai to live... Just as boring but a hell of a lot cheaper

CM is not necessarily cheaper than the outskirts of Bangkok.

Have you seen the prices of the Nimmanhamein coffee shops? :shock1:

Besides you can easily find super cheap accommodation in Bangkok if you want it, same in CM.

Then of course there is the transport issue, riding around drunk on your bike late at night or paying through the nose for taxis and so on.

23 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I'm out my front door and into the action within minutes. emoji3.png

The buzz.. you mean gridlocked traffic. 

There are plenty of malls that have lots of stuff (no 5 star hotels but I don't care for that as my diet is strict). To each his and her own. I don't need bars to be honest. I seldom drink and if i want to meet woman malls are great to have appointments.

There are plenty of malls that have lots of stuff (no 5 star hotels but I don't care for that as my diet is strict). To each his and her own. I don't need bars to be honest. I seldom drink and if i want to meet woman malls are great to have appointments.

Traffic? I don't drive, that's the whole idea of living in lower Sukhumvit. Ironically it's those living in the burbs that need to deal with it

I do not think you understand the word "buzz" if you relate it to only traffic.
Think London, New York, Bangkok, Rio etc

10 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Traffic? I don't drive, that's the whole idea of living in lower Sukhumvit. Ironically it's those living in the burbs that need to deal with it

I do not think you understand the word "buzz" if you relate it to only traffic.
Think London, New York, Bangkok, Rio etc

I understand buzz.. but the only buzz i see there when I am there is bad traffic. Actually by living in the burbs I don't have to deal with it. There is a huge central 5 minutes by motorbike (10-15 by car) from my home. Almost no traffic around. The only time I face traffic is in Sukhumvit. Maybe you never cook for yourself.. then sure you don't have to go to shops and don't need a taxi or something like that to carry your groceries around.

I cook for myself as I like health food so I frequent supermarkets that usually means driving.. unless you can carry loads of stuff by hand.

Again different people different tastes.. but your come down on the burbs is totally ill informed. But if you like 5 star restaurants and bars.. then yes your at the right place. If you like a bit more green, less traffic and a house instead of a condo then your not at the right place. I look at a park through the sliding doors of my home, the park is no more as 25 meters from my door. I like it that way.. nice small village.. big shopping centers near. 

I have a place off Soi 6.  I totally get the Buzz effect.  I rented ST at several other areas including Ekkamai before I decided on Nana area.  The buzz and energy of the area are very appealing for me I don´t like to be bored.  Restaurants, massage, banks, bars, girls, malls, shops, 7-11ś, markets all within a few minutes walk.  I don´t drive either so not care about the traffic.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

No, the "buzz" refers to bustle and activity.

I get what he means.

I'm on soi 23 and during the day, the area is full of office workers going about their business.

Everything is right on your doorstep. It's great.

1 hour ago, Thai Ron said:

No, the "buzz" refers to bustle and activity.

I get what he means.

I'm on soi 23 and during the day, the area is full of office workers going about their business.

Everything is right on your doorstep. It's great.

I got that I was being sarcastic, I am 5-10 minutes away of one of the largest shopping centers. True.. no bars or 5 star hotel bufets.. but a shoppingcenter has all i need food wise (restaurants) and a great supermarket). There are big malls in the suburbs too. Soon they will open an Ikea where I live (Central Westgate). But sure if I were the party type.. had no car I might have liked it in the inner city. 

But now I prefer more room and a house over a condo.

Wow. Some of these comments are ripe with holier than thouness.

So what if someone's an ogre? There's no choice in that.

So what if you have more money than me? 

This forums really quite sad.

They have been hanging out there for years..it has nothing to do with market being removed. It a nonsense to think it adds to the scene..it was much more pleasant before they came and I don't see why it should be any different now..

I like the more sketchy aspect with spooks and Nigerians. Makes me feel more at home (USA). 

For or the average tourist I imagine they feel safer at a bar then walking down the street, but then bars are not really my scene.

sometimes the grit can have that added excitement that I just don't get in a bar. Pat pong, Chinatown, I guess lower sukhumvit late at night.

A nice change from the bar scene for anyone who's looking for a change in a very safe city where your unlikely to be in any real danger. Get out of your tourist comfort zone and try something real.

10 minutes ago, Jim Turner Mad Punx said:

I like the more sketchy aspect with spooks and Nigerians. Makes me feel more at home (USA). 

For or the average tourist I imagine they feel safer at a bar then walking down the street, but then bars are not really my scene.

sometimes the grit can have that added excitement that I just don't get in a bar. Pat pong, Chinatown, I guess lower sukhumvit late at night.

A nice change from the bar scene for anyone who's looking for a change in a very safe city where your unlikely to be in any real danger. Get out of your tourist comfort zone and try something real.

I think the further you are away from the tourist scene here the safer you are in Thailand.

I always love to read all the posts from the guys who say "I live in the suburbs because I prefer to be away from the action and craziness of lower Sukhumvit". I'm willing to bet that 9 out of 10 of these guys actually live in the suburbs because they can't afford to rent a decent apartment on lower Sukhumvit. I would never dream of living anywhere else than lower Sukhumvit, but of course a decent apartment there now costs AT LEAST 50,000 baht a month and often as much as 100,000. Mine is near the top end of that bracket, but I have everything literally on my doorstep. I never have to take a taxi anywhere except to the airport. So much life and entertainment right outside my door. The cheap charlies, on the other hand, will continue to believe that their 20,000 baht apartment in Bang Na or Chatujak or Bearing is the bee's knees, because they simply can't afford better.

21 minutes ago, Thainess said:

I always love to read all the posts from the guys who say "I live in the suburbs because I prefer to be away from the action and craziness of lower Sukhumvit". I'm willing to bet that 9 out of 10 of these guys actually live in the suburbs because they can't afford to rent a decent apartment on lower Sukhumvit. I would never dream of living anywhere else than lower Sukhumvit, but of course a decent apartment there now costs AT LEAST 50,000 baht a month and often as much as 100,000. Mine is near the top end of that bracket, but I have everything literally on my doorstep. I never have to take a taxi anywhere except to the airport. So much life and entertainment right outside my door. The cheap charlies, on the other hand, will continue to believe that their 20,000 baht apartment in Bang Na or Chatujak or Bearing is the bee's knees, because they simply can't afford better.

20,000 try 10 to 12.  You mean you don't like a 20 minute motorbike ride to get a decent coffee?  Want to go to the market, where?  Being an Oh Nuter and walking around Tesco 3 times a day doesn't cut it for you? :)

Lower SUK is the bomb I love it have a place a block from NANA.  This is what is happening at Nana skytrain station.  The lowest price condo is 30 million to over 100 million b. http://www.qcondosukhumvit.com/gallery.  and yes they are selling so where is the true money going?

Smart people know..

Edited by bkk6060

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

20,000 try 10 to 12.  You mean you don't like a 20 minute motorbike ride to get a decent coffee?  Want to go to the market, where?  Being an Oh Nuter and walking around Tesco 3 times a day doesn't cut it for you? :)

Lower SUK is the bomb I love it have a place a block from NANA.  This is what is happening at Nana skytrain station.  The lowest price condo is 30 million to over 100 million b. http://www.qcondosukhumvit.com/gallery.  and yes they are selling so where is the true money going?

Smart people know..

Yeah but those condos at Q aren't indicative of the exclusivity of the area.

You have to remember that Nana is still a bit of a cesspool even during the day.

They might indeed be selling but only to speculators buying off plan hoping to flip soon after completion.

Sansiri just finished a condo (The Edge) on my soi (23). 

Evening time, virtually no lights on, letting sites have loads of the 30sqm (yes, thirty sqm) rabbit hutches going for 35,000 a month and no one's biting.

You're right about the drudgery of places like On Nut and Chatuchak though.

Bloody ghost towns