moving and 90 days reports

I moved from Bangkok to Chiang Rai and went to immigration to notify them on May 3rd. Today I had to do my 90 day reporting and they told me to do this in Bangkok. You cannot do your 90 days reporting if you live less than 90 days in Chiang Rai. So basically every foreigner that moves to another Immigration district has to go back the old office to do the reporting. Very inconvenient and I dont understand why.

No. Now that you have moved, your next 90 day report is due in Chiang Rai, 89 days from the day that you notified them that you had moved into their area. The day you notify them counts as Day 1, not Day 0.

Just now, allane said:

No. Now that you have moved, your next 90 day report is due in Chiang Rai, 89 days from the day that you notified them that you had moved into their area. The day you notify them counts as Day 1, not Day 0.

It does not work that way unless they gave him new 90 day report slip on the date he notified them of his change of address. A change of address is not equal to doing a 90 day report.

37 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Very inconvenient and I dont understand why.

I don't understand it either.

You only need to notify them of your change of address to do your 90 day report at a different office.

There is certainly no requirement for you to be living at your new address for 90 days or more before your can do a report at a new office.

I have just checked my 2016 diary. It worked for me, as I described, just over a year ago in Kap Cheung (Surin).  I think that the smaller, less busier offices are more accommodating, and will reset your "90 day clock" anytime you come in, for whatever reason. Previously, I reported to Amnat Charoen, and they had the same policy.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need to notify them of your change of address to do your 90 day report at a different office.

There is certainly no requirement for you to be living at your new address for 90 days or more before your can do a report at a new office.

I was send away. They would not let me do my 90 days report. I 'bought' a re entry permit, went to Mae Sai and crossed. The 90 days are now reset and next dye date  I will have lived more than 90 days in Chiang Rai. 

I was also very surprised as it makes no sense. 

Another case of "This is Thailand", I will never understand why so many people are full of praise for Thailand immigration.

All they seem to do is mess people around without good reason. 

Edited by possum1931

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Another case of "This is Thailand", I will never understand why so many people are full of praise for Thailand immigration.

OK I agree to a small degree... there are all these Thailand-romantics who are blind as hell..... But seriously when it comes most of the times to immigration. I must protest a bit at least. MOST of the times it is about people who is too lazy to learn, and blame their own failures in life on everyone else but themselves....

My tip of the day is; Try to learn laws and rules and how it works... read the different threads here at thaivisa and read posters like i.e. UbonJoe and you will do just fine...

This is how I sees it...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

15 minutes ago, glegolo said:

OK I agree to a small degree... there are all these Thailand-romantics who are blind as hell..... But seriously when it comes most of the times to immigration. I must protest a bit at least. MOST of the times it is about people who is too lazy to learn, and blame their own failures in life on everyone else but themselves....

My tip of the day is; Try to learn laws and rules and how it works... read the different threads here at thaivisa and read posters like i.e. UbonJoe and you will do just fine...

This is how I sees it...

Glegolo

I agree with you about UbonJoe, but even he is always answering people with some Immigration offices this, and some that.

They all make up their own rules which is detrimental to us foreigners.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glegolo said:

This is how I sees it...

Glegolo

sure i see your logic, but it should not have to be that way; should be simple ans consistent;

genius is making the complex simple

This is how I sees it...

Glegolo

Or get a multiple entry visa and forget about them...

This is an acceptable signature (hopefully)

16 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I was send away. They would not let me do my 90 days report. I 'bought' a re entry permit, went to Mae Sai and crossed. The 90 days are now reset and next dye date  I will have lived more than 90 days in Chiang Rai. 

This is one of those situations where I would have phoned the Immigration call centre 1178.

You were reporting staying in Thailand 90 consecutive days and as you formerly changed your address to Chiang Rai they should have accepted your 90 day report.

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Or get a multiple entry visa and forget about them...

The reality being your dealing with two different Immigration department, three or 4 times a year, not to mention the time and costs of travel and Visas, and that isn't messing around!

I'll take the extension and deal with one local office, once a year, thanks.

I have never had any need to use the Immigration Call Centre.  Are they helpful in any way, beyond reading you information that is available elsewhere ? Will they intercede with an Immigration office, to tell them that an officer has done something incorrectly ? If not, it would not be of much value.

1 minute ago, allane said:

I have never had any need to use the Immigration Call Centre.  Are they helpful in any way, beyond reading you information that is available elsewhere ? Will they intercede with an Immigration office, to tell them that an officer has done something incorrectly ? If not, it would not be of much value.

Yes they do, if your in the right.

My very first extension some years ago was refused because the IO insisted I required 3 months proof of funds.

I spoke to someone at the call centre, who agreed the requirement was only 2 months the first time.

Handed my phone over to the IO and after 30 seconds of nodding and 'Uuuuhs' proceeded to issue my extension without a word.

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Fair comment for quite a few offices judging by some of the posts here but I still stand firm in my praise for the immigration team and obviously the team leader ( top man) in Dan Kiwan ( Khorat) immigration. 

They are a shining credit, in my eyes, to the Thai Government.

Edited by The Dark Lord
Burst of patriotism

18 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Fair comment for quite a few offices judging by some of the posts here but I still stand firm in my praise for the immigration team and obviously the team leader ( top man) in Dan Kiwan ( Khorat) immigration. 

I agree, to be fair to Immigration a lot of these issues are created by the applicant in the first place.

Insufficient documents, asking for the wrong thing (terminology).

They have to put up with a lot of ignorant, intoxicated, ranting foreigners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

They are a shining credit, in my eyes, to the Thai Government.

Yes, fair comment for your post also, but think about when that team leader leaves and another one comes in, most of them love to show their authority and who is the boss.

They do get changed around every so often, then some rules usually change.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, fair comment for your post also, but think about when that team leader leaves and another one comes in, most of them love to show their authority and who is the boss.

They do get changed around every so often, then some rules usually change.

The same doesn't happen at Thai Embassy/Consulates or Borders?

Let's be honest a lot of married expats using the ME Non Imm O Visa, do so because they can't meet the financial requirements for an extension, but they will rarely admit it, using Immigrations supposed incompetence as an excuse.

If they had the finances, they'd jump at the extensions.

I've had but a couple of disagreements with Immigration, not because of any change of rules, but because an individual IO didn't know the rules and that's completely different to how your portraying Immigration as a whole.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The same doesn't happen at Thai Embassy/Consulates or Borders?

Let's be honest a lot of married expats using the ME Non Imm O Visa, do so because they can't meet the financial requirements for an extension, but they will rarely admit it, using Immigrations supposed incompetence as an excuse.

If they had the finances, they'd jump at the extensions.

I've had but a couple of disagreements with Immigration, not because of any change of rules, but because an individual IO didn't know the rules and that's completely different to how your portraying Immigration as a whole.

Surely if any IOs don't know the rules, then they should not be there, more likely they are all mixed up the same as we sometimes get with the constant changing of their own made up rules.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

So when one moves to a different province, where do you report your change of address? To the original office or the office in the new province.  And if you're no longer living in the original province why do you have to do the 90 day report there once you have moved?  Confused, I sure am.:wai:

1 hour ago, Si Thea01 said:

So when one moves to a different province, where do you report your change of address? To the original office or the office in the new province.  And if you're no longer living in the original province why do you have to do the 90 day report there once you have moved?  Confused, I sure am.:wai:

Yes I was also confused. I changed address, was even told to do 90 days at the new office and when I did told to go to Bangkok. I dont want to complain about Immigration, its always been straightforward, but I just want to know why. 

Lets see how my Non O extension will go in August.

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Yes I was also confused. I changed address, was even told to do 90 days at the new office and when I did told to go to Bangkok. I dont want to complain about Immigration, its always been straightforward, but I just want to know why. 

Lets see how my Non O extension will go in August.

By any chance, did you enter Thailand on a TV or Visa exempt and do a conversion to Non Imm O then an extension in Bangkok before moving to Chiang Rai?

On 6/27/2017 at 4:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

hmmm; so i have to notify my OLD office of my change of address ? that could lead to a real mess; old one says 'not me', new one says 'not me'; i suppose it is possible but i doubt whether these offices communicate with each other in this fashion; 

new yellow book at new address, immigration at new successful, why deal with the older office ? and if so, when would it end ?

On 6/27/2017 at 4:48 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Did you file the TM28 form for changing address?

Just now, Tanoshi said:

By any chance, did you enter Thailand on a TV or Visa exempt and do a conversion to Non Imm O then an extension in Bangkok before moving to Chiang Rai?

No. Got Non O years ago at Embassy in Europe and am on 3rd extension now.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Did you file a TM28 and a TM30 before you tried to do a 90 day report.

yes, 7 weeks ago.

Also, I was polite and respectful , proper dressed and not drunk.

Edited by SoilSpoil