Non-B, Teaching, Vientiane - Police Clearance?

Is there any info. on the requirement for police clearance certificates when applying for a non-B at Vientiane, Laos?

I have a recently issued Disclosure Scotland certificate. Would this be enough or will I need a Police Clearance Cert from the Royal Thai Police, Bangkok. I'm currently in Bangkok on a tourist visa, but previously taught in Thailand for 5 years with a work permit and non-B + extensions.

Thanks. 

Edited by zkjnxzkcuwf

They require one in Vientiane if apply for a non-b for teaching.

If teaching k-12 students, the school will require that you obtain a police clearance from your local police department.

Source: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B teacher.pdf

They should accept the one from Scotland. But they could ask for one from here if they are aware you spent a considerable amount of time here before,

Thanks Ubonjoe. It's for a private university. Sounds like a good idea to get the police clearance now whilst I'm here - I think it takes 7-14 days for the RTP in BKK to issue one.

Edited by zkjnxzkcuwf

The Vientiane website generally seems to indicate specifically a Thai Police Clearance Cert: "Evidence of criminal background checks from the Royal Thai Police" @

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php  (English version is identical to the Thai). 

The recently posted list suggests it may only be needed teaching K12s (above), but it sounds like the luck of the draw. Best to have Thai Police Clearance Cert. 

Below are two further lists.

As far as the Letter from The Education Service Area goes...never heard of this before...they don't make it easy do they...sounds like this only applies to primary and secondary schools and not private universities...

APRIL 2016 - RECENT VIENTIANE CHECKLIST FOR PRIVATE SCHOOL.jpg

NON-B TEACHER VIENTIANE GOVERNMENT CHECKLIST.jpg

Edited by zkjnxzkcuwf
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Is there a definitive answer on whether university professors require the police clearance? No teaching if minors involved, but the instructions to apply for the non-b visa aren’t very clear.

My employer is saying Laos is strict and requires the police clearance. He suggested I go to Singapore to avoid the police clearance requirement. However, he has been wrong already on my visa process and I have seen that Singapore tends to be strict. Anyways, I’m asking here before I take off and learn the hard way. 

19 minutes ago, ocruz said:

Is there a definitive answer on whether university professors require the police clearance? No teaching if minors involved, but the instructions to apply for the non-b visa aren’t very clear.

This from Vientiane's list of requirements shown here from their website. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B teacher.pdf

If teaching k-12 students, the school will require that you obtain a police clearance from your local police department. Please include the copy of the clearance letter (original you should present to the school in Thailand).

Edit: No sure Singapore would be any better from their website. http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-b

3.1.4.1 School Teachers

- Curriculum vitae/resume

- Proof of no criminal records in English

- A teaching license

- Applicants for private school’s teacher are also required to submit a letter from the Ministry of Education In Thailand

Edited by ubonjoe