Belgian tourist's death on Koh Tao - police deny several online rumors

Jonathan Fairfield

15 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Is there a serial killer on koh toa? So many  suspicious hangings and deaths - rhetorical question I guess 

I said that once, but was told that it was a stupid thing to say

But it certainly looks like there could be

So many deaths,just aren't  accidents and suicides

But there is the police interest to be considered, which is absolutely zero

If there is an SK on the island, he has very good protection.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, BangkokNicky said:

Oh no it really sounds like there's a serial killer on the island.

Sounds more like that theres a group of people , all known to each other, who kill at will , and all help each other in not getting caught , although there doesnt seem to be anyone there to catch them .

As there seems to be no rule of authority in the island , the locals can do as they please with impunity

2 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

So as this is the Internet why not some wild speculation. Here goes ... girls bunglalow is set fire too in an attempt to kill her / destroy something - girl survives and flees on foot to the other end of the island buys ticket to leave island and checks in to a new hotel - killer either follows her or has access to hotel reporting of who is staying their (daily requirement) - ie is a person of influence .. killer finds her at new hotel abducts and kills her - initiates usual police cover up measures as per his other killings .. more or less likely than "official" story 

I think you are pretty close except for the first part, I think someone entered her bungalow with the intention of rape and she fought back and perhaps during the struggle knocked over an incense candle or similar, the only part that doesn't fit is about her belongings being found on the ferry although police have denied that. As for the logistics of hanging yourself from a tree.............that is not something that is easy to do

Either way not much of it makes any sense and now there is not a shred of evidence left to dispute any of it

It is really time for the DSI in Bangkok to become involved and go through all the deaths in the lat 3 years and maybe before that to determine what is going on.  All of these investigations need to be taken out of the hands of the local constabulary. I am also wondering why a Private Investigator has not been hired by the lawyers for the  B2. Normally, a defense legal team wants to have their own investigator involved to determine what actually happened.

Time for Hollywood (or Bollywood) to make a movie on this issue...it will give worldwide information, overnight, if the cast is good!

Without any insinuation to the present tragedy, this may speak to youngsters a bit more and have them wary of the gruesome consequences in the deadly cocktails of sex, drugs, booze, manipulation, and rash behavioural patterns.

Edited by observer90210

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Without any insinuation to the present tragedy, this may speak to youngsters a bit more and have them wary of the gruesome consequences in the deadly cocktails of sex, drugs, booze, manipulation, and rash behavioural patterns.

But those are the very reasons for "youngsters" (and often the not so young) go to Thailand in the first place!  They want the debauchery, that is the attraction!

42 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think you are pretty close except for the first part, I think someone entered her bungalow with the intention of rape and she fought back and perhaps during the struggle knocked over an incense candle or similar, the only part that doesn't fit is about her belongings being found on the ferry although police have denied that. As for the logistics of hanging yourself from a tree.............that is not something that is easy to do

Either way not much of it makes any sense and now there is not a shred of evidence left to dispute any of it

What was the reason for 2 autopsies

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

here we go again...

You are right " its a normal week on Death island , hanging around again , for gon collusion suicide thais answer to farang murders .RIP don't go there .

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

But those are the very reasons for "youngsters" (and often the not so young) go to Thailand in the first place!  They want the debauchery, that is the attraction!

Look the first two times I came for a month I nailed 6 different nations and 3 swedes and I'm offended by your accusation I was looking for it. The beer was looking for it I was just drinking the beer. (None were natives)

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

As recently reported in the SamuiTimes, this unfortunate woman was not a recently arrived single tourist but ...

"She was said to have spent more than a year on Koh Phangan during her travels and was there part of a Yoga/Tantra-Community. She was also an active member of SACRED, an Indian sect run by the notorious Sathya Sai Baba cult movement. They reside and practice on Koh Phangan between Thong Sala and Hin Kong Village."

The story in Belgian newspapers is updated almost every hour. 

What we know and what is confirmed is that she had been travelling around Asia for the last 2 years, with Koh Phangan being the place she returned to regularly during her travels. She had been staying with a self proclaimed German Guru on Koh Phangan with 2 other girls. she stayed on with this guru sometimes for months at a time. 
Her staying at Koh Tao was to be her last leg before returning home, she first checked in in a resort near the pier, while in that resort her bungalow burned down, she booked into another resort, Poseidon Resort, which is 2,5 km  on the other side of the island, it is still unclear why she checked in that resort, but it is at this resort she booked her ticket to return to Bangkok. 
Her luggage ended up on the ferry to chumphon for some reason. It is still unclear why she made a stop a Koh Tao. She had called her mother on skype on 17th april, she told her she would be leaving Koh Phangan on the 19th, and after 20th april very little is known about her movements on that Island until she was discovered dead 8 days later. She was supposed to fly home on the 24th.

What makes me wonder is why the 2nd resort didn't have any footage of her around the resort, neither why didn't they suspect anything when she didn't check out. 

19 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Perhaps to show them the consequences of the debauchery, may ring a bell? It's sad to see people end up dead so young and not so young IMHO.

Edited by observer90210

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

There is obviously something amiss with this death. I read this morning that the mother had confirmed to Thai police that her daughter had tried to commit suicide before yet in the same same article the mother was claiming that her daughter had no reason to commit suicide. There was no mention as whether or not there was any molestation just the hanging. Looking at Elise's picture above she looks rather thin or at least, lean but nonetheless comfortable. How was the picture taken? Timed 'selfie' or did someone take the picture and who was the person, male or female?

Well it is not entirely true that the mother confirmed she tried commiting suicide before. Only that she had suffered a depression and at some point might have been suicidal. 

But we have to keep in mind that she didn't have much to return to. Unemployed (assumed), she might have been on a sabatical, but looking at her professional life, she was an independent naturopath, yoga instructor and restored paintings.

I do suspect she was accompanied by someone on Koh Tao. Someone else she met in that sect?

She indeed looks tin on the picture taken on that island. But that can be attributed to her life style while travelling.

The problem in Thailand is that police can claim something happened a certain way and that is generally believed.

Where corruption exists - add the inclusion of some unverifiable evidence (like DNA)  coupled with the possibility of a medical examiner who is told what to include/exclude in a report and a forensic scientist told to produce test results a certain way and "wham" case closed.

Not saying that is what happens in Thailand - only where corruption exists in the world.

In the west evidence can be challenged, but more importantly it must also be handled in a certain way to make sure that it is genuine and can be verified, a fine example would be the DNA evidence used to convict the B2, police claim it was a match and defence challenged them and wanted to carry out their own tests on the original samples (which is normal procedure by any world standard) but the "original samples" were described as exhausted or used up.......in other words at that moment they no longer existed and could not be produced - that is a massive red flag right there., that means that any such DNA test results submitted as evidence are in fact no longer valid because they cannot be verified by the defence.

However they did offer already processed (extracted DNA) to be retested but that is quite useless for verification simply because there is no way to prove where it came from, it could simply be an extracted saliva sample from the accused and not the claimed sperm sample taken from the victim, additionally for such a DNA sample type to be exhausted is quite frankly ridiculous, the samples would have been huge by DNA standards and would have been first taken at the crime scene and then by the medical examiner - to suggest such samples were exhausted or used up is quite frankly extremely problematic no matter how you look at it,  the presentation of extracted processed DNA being absolutely useless simply because there is no way to tell what the original sample was, this is very obvious - logical and very simple to follow.

But ultimately the best way to cover up a crime of murder is to have no evidence at all to investigate - either you don't have a body or it is destroyed - burning is a good way to accomplish this

This young girl could have been sexually assaulted in her bungalow and then disabled and the bungalow set on fire but she managed to escape and run, there is no way to disprove what we are being told so there is no evidence to prove otherwise  

4 hours ago, longtom said:

The Belgian newspaper seems to be wrong. A good friend of mine is living in Tanote bay for years already. According to the owner/staff of the resort (where he is living, but was not there around that time), she was found hanging from a tree, apparently after 3 days. OK that is hearsay only, but the resort owner/staff seem to have no connection whatsoever with the 'murder family'. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the resort.

The article is being updated while I am even reading it. 

Police confirmed she was not found hanging. 

She was found dead 8 days after she checked in in the second resort (supposedly)

Murder family?

This Island should not be allowed visitors until it is investigated I wonder how many other deaths they have tried to cover up. It is just not safe for Women or men ! It is a tiny island don't try and say this is normal all these suspicious deaths just too many now.There is a Maniac on that island or maybe a gang of them.Come on Thailand get this sorted out you are getting such a bad name for such a Beautiful Country.

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

The problem in Thailand is that police can claim something happened a certain way and that is generally believed.

Where corruption exists - add the inclusion of some unverifiable evidence (like DNA)  coupled with the possibility of a medical examiner who is told what to include/exclude in a report and a forensic scientist told to produce test results a certain way and "wham" case closed.

Not saying that is what happens in Thailand - only where corruption exists in the world.

In the west evidence can be challenged, but more importantly it must also be handled in a certain way to make sure that it is genuine and can be verified, a fine example would be the DNA evidence used to convict the B2, police claim it was a match and defence challenged them and wanted to carry out their own tests on the original samples (which is normal procedure by any world standard) but the "original samples" were described as exhausted or used up.......in other words at that moment they no longer existed and could not be produced - that is a massive red flag right there., that means that any such DNA test results submitted as evidence are in fact no longer valid because they cannot be verified by the defence.

However they did offer already processed (extracted DNA) to be retested but that is quite useless for verification simply because there is no way to prove where it came from, it could simply be an extracted saliva sample from the accused and not the claimed sperm sample taken from the victim, additionally for such a DNA sample type to be exhausted is quite frankly ridiculous, the samples would have been huge by DNA standards and would have been first taken at the crime scene and then by the medical examiner - to suggest such samples were exhausted or used up is quite frankly extremely problematic no matter how you look at it,  the presentation of extracted processed DNA being absolutely useless simply because there is no way to tell what the original sample was, this is very obvious - logical and very simple to follow.

But ultimately the best way to cover up a crime of murder is to have no evidence at all to investigate - either you don't have a body or it is destroyed - burning is a good way to accomplish this

This young girl could have been sexually assaulted in her bungalow and then disabled and the bungalow set on fire but she managed to escape and run, there is no way to disprove what we are being told so there is no evidence to prove otherwise  

A well documented post. This reminds me of the recent re-opening in the murder case of a young boy, Gregory Marchal, murdered in France 33 years ago. At that moment, by turn, practically the entire family went to jail, including the parents, and were later cleared of guilt. The investation went on for years was closed and recently re-opened with for new DNA analysis inherent to recent scientific progress.  Another issue would be of the painter Picasso, whose remains were recently exhumed with a court order for DNA testing, following a paternity dispute. The point here is reminds us of the maxim  "where there is a will, there is a way"....so hopefully, one day the truth may arise?...or not....god knows....

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

here we go again...

well it was that way and then it was this way and then............. yea dat's  da ticket  it was dis-a-way .....never-ending B/S.

3 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

So as this is the Internet why not some wild speculation. Here goes ... girls bunglalow is set fire too in an attempt to kill her / destroy something - girl survives and flees on foot to the other end of the island buys ticket to leave island and checks in to a new hotel - killer either follows her or has access to hotel reporting of who is staying their (daily requirement) - ie is a person of influence .. killer finds her at new hotel abducts and kills her - initiates usual police cover up measures as per his other killings .. more or less likely than "official" story 

It was the bungalow next to hers that caught fire and the fire then also spread to her bungalow and a third one. In the first resort, that is assumed, she had registered with a different surname, it is unclear if she had first used her real surname and after changed, it is not even sure the second entry was hers. She was seen panicking on video footage when her bungalow caught fire.

3 hours ago, free123 said:

i think there is a big drugs mafia there and on other islands too ( kho samui phangan etc ) .....many many many years when i come the very first time to thailand ( phangan a remote place that time with a very few bungalows and no real road ) i saw the tourists ( also a very few and young ) and the drugs ....when i met and hang out with the locals i was offered a drug run to europe ... as I am not really into that kind of scene i left quickly ... i move when situations like this arise or when arguments ( with locals ) about anything surfaces ..maybe this girl was not streetwise...there u are by yourselfe ( an exception u are married there and have a protection base ) if u white on your own  a female and maybe a druggy death can arise quickly as seen....everybody covers nobody cares

She was travelling Asia, she might have been a mule with a few succesfull runs. Might have refused to run drugs to Europe. It shouldn't be discounted.

Discovery channel or National geographic have a show 'locked up abroad' and how many are female that were short on cash while they were on holiday.

26 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

The article is being updated while I am even reading it. 

Police confirmed she was not found hanging. 

She was found dead 8 days after she checked in in the second resort (supposedly)

Murder family?

Apologies , but can you clarify , when you state  ' police confirmed she was not found hanging ', is this an actual quote, if so do you know the name of the person making this statement.

19 hours ago, z42 said:

Dolts in uniform.. pathetic $hit show as per ?

I agree that their dolts, but in this case, like others on Koh Tao, I doubt is due to incompetence.  It sounds more like a cover-up.  It seems that locals know who is behind all these deaths but are too scared to come out and say so.

29 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Apologies , but can you clarify , when you state  ' police confirmed she was not found hanging ', is this an actual quote, if so do you know the name of the person making this statement.

The mother received confirmation that she was NOT found hanging. Todays Bangkokpost article about this murder also has a Thai official confirming she was found laying on rocks between boulders.

5 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

The mother received confirmation that she was NOT found hanging. Todays Bangkokpost article about this murder also has a Thai official confirming she was found laying on rocks between boulders.

Link?

11 hours ago, Thechook said:

Problem with that they cremate quickly even without the consent of family.  

But only if the dead person don't owe any money to a hospital.  Otherwise they will keep you refrigerated until somebody pays the bill.