Belgian tourist's death on Koh Tao - police deny several online rumors

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

It is interesting to note that there have been a series of untimely deaths by relatively young people. While suicide is not to be discarded in any of these events, it is not a logical conclusion for all. People don't often go on holiday and contemplate suicide, rather, they are often escaping from the perceived angst in their home countries. Suicide is more common in terminal illness cases or when drugs/alcohol is involved, or when people run out of money and contemplate dramatic lifestyle changes (repatriation).

This woman, in particular, had previously spent a few months on neighboring Koh Phanagan, with a guru Raaman. No mention of interview with the cult following.

The russian man, who years ago was found hung with his hands bound behind himself, VERY uncommon for suicides.

They simply don't add up.

The "fake" suicide by hanging or pitching off balconies is quite common in Thailand of a means of disposing of people.

Someone (or someones) is behind all this.

The plot thickens But you are right all those people who fall over the balcony i think have a helping hand

2 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

The "fake" suicide by hanging or pitching off balconies is quite common in Thailand of a means of disposing of people.

Someone (or someones) is behind all this.

I suspect it's just opportunism. While I think it's a tiny percentage of people in the world, there is a subset of us whose only barrier to murder is the risk of getting caught.  A risk that seems to be minimal to non-existent for some people, and in some locations in Thailand.

Picture in your mind drivers in countries where the chances of getting an expensive ticket are high. Stick those same drivers in an environment like Thailand and the difference is profound.  Now, scale that up to taking a life...

11 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Theres a new Charles sabrahj or gang of sabrahj wannabes and it's painfully obvious.

And just like in the Sobrahj case(s), the MO of the RTP and gov't is exactly the same today as it was 40 years ago:

"The (Sobrahj) clan was interrogated by Thai policemen in connection with the murders, but released because authorities feared that the negative publicity accompanying a murder trial would harm the country's tourist industry."

Though this time it is a homegrown killer with serious connections. Expect nothing to be done about the menace that lurks on Tao. 

This story has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese. Don`t forget we have a missing Russian woman who`s case has not been solved.

There is something weird and twisted going on in Koh Tao. Cults and whole assortments of weird and dubious characters. Questions, what exactly are some visitors doing and getting involved with on that island? What type of activities are they participating in? Are they just visiting there for the views and nightlife or are there more iniquitous activities going on? This is not an attempt to shame the victims, but these questions must be asked because young people are dying wholesale there and they could be getting into situations of extreme danger with psychopaths, gangs and sexual and mental deviants. 

I find it difficult to believe that innocent young tourists are being picked off at random and then murdered, I do believe they are being hoodwinked into participating in something with some weird groups of people. Whatever; I believe there is much more going on behind the scenes then we are hearing about on the news reports.

"Justice delay is justice denial",  apparently everything in Thailand just fade into oblivion after sometime, including murder cases.

You, young farang girls should never travel alone in Thailand.(as well as India)  Team up with other girls to travel together, yes it's troublesome. But when your parents had to travel to Thailand to the mortuary it would be even more troublesome for them. Your parents love just you don't break their hearts.

There are enough signs out there to tell you it is not safe to travel alone in Thailand.

I'm sure at times you were the target but some interruption prevent them from carry out their plan and you were out walking about totally unaware of the real danger. No, it's not being paranoid. They choose their target and place. While you walking pass them they size you up and check up which room you staying.

Do the smart thing, make it zero chance if you have partners together all the time .

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of all the places to go in the world, why do people choose that place. Don't they do any research when planning a trip?

The island of death claims another victim..   

Police think that the fire was caused by a candle or a lantern. The Ao Mae Hat bungalow owner decided not to press charges.

THINK??????

PRESS CHARGES?the owner?  CHARGES FOR WHAT?

AGAINST WHO?

I advised all my friends against visiting "death island" but advise film makers to make n produce a movie about its horror stories!!!

"the beach" ? Now "the death island"

As recently reported in the SamuiTimes, this unfortunate woman was not a recently arrived single tourist but ...

"She was said to have spent more than a year on Koh Phangan during her travels and was there part of a Yoga/Tantra-Community. She was also an active member of SACRED, an Indian sect run by the notorious Sathya Sai Baba cult movement. They reside and practice on Koh Phangan between Thong Sala and Hin Kong Village."

There is obviously something amiss with this death. I read this morning that the mother had confirmed to Thai police that her daughter had tried to commit suicide before yet in the same same article the mother was claiming that her daughter had no reason to commit suicide. There was no mention as whether or not there was any molestation just the hanging. Looking at Elise's picture above she looks rather thin or at least, lean but nonetheless comfortable. How was the picture taken? Timed 'selfie' or did someone take the picture and who was the person, male or female?

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

There is obviously something amiss with this death. I read this morning that the mother had confirmed to Thai police that her daughter had tried to commit suicide before yet in the same same article the mother was claiming that her daughter had no reason to commit suicide. There was no mention as whether or not there was any molestation just the hanging. Looking at Elise's picture above she looks rather thin or at least, lean but nonetheless comfortable. How was the picture taken? Timed 'selfie' or did someone take the picture and who was the person, male or female?

The cult on Koh Phangan are vegetarians. Often the gaunt look in the tropics on that type of diet is not uncommon.

Just now, AmericanSafety said:

The cult on Koh Phangan are vegetarians. Often the gaunt look in the tropics on that type of diet is not uncommon.

Oh thanks, I didn't know that. You say 'cult', am I to assume it has it's own marriage/sex rules etc.?

10 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

That is correct. I read the article in a belgian newspaper.  

She was found rotting between boulders on the beach. She was not found hanging from a tree as is reported in the posted article.

They also found that the name she registered with in the resort was changed and her real name was scratched through.

She was to return to belgium 2 days later.

The Belgian newspaper seems to be wrong. A good friend of mine is living in Tanote bay for years already. According to the owner/staff of the resort (where he is living, but was not there around that time), she was found hanging from a tree, apparently after 3 days. OK that is hearsay only, but the resort owner/staff seem to have no connection whatsoever with the 'murder family'. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the resort.

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of all the places to go in the world, why do people choose that place. Don't they do any research when planning a trip?

Perhaps they only read The Lonely Planet guide!

1 hour ago, AmericanSafety said:

Other than the British couple, I believe all of the recent deaths were solo travelers.

Solo travelers are potential targets.

Serial killers do not prey on those that travel in groups, for obvious reasons.

the British couple were not a couple. They were solo travelers, too. They just walked to their guest house together. Looks like the woman felt threatened and had asked a countryman to accompany her.

So as this is the Internet why not some wild speculation. Here goes ... girls bunglalow is set fire too in an attempt to kill her / destroy something - girl survives and flees on foot to the other end of the island buys ticket to leave island and checks in to a new hotel - killer either follows her or has access to hotel reporting of who is staying their (daily requirement) - ie is a person of influence .. killer finds her at new hotel abducts and kills her - initiates usual police cover up measures as per his other killings .. more or less likely than "official" story 

I think it is not just western travelers. I wonder how many Thai/Burmese workers have similarly 'disappeared' on the island. I remember reading a story that up to 12 died in mysterious circumstances over the last few years. Some were alleged witnesses or had information about covered up crimes on the island.

i think there is a big drugs mafia there and on other islands too ( kho samui phangan etc ) .....many many many years when i come the very first time to thailand ( phangan a remote place that time with a very few bungalows and no real road ) i saw the tourists ( also a very few and young ) and the drugs ....when i met and hang out with the locals i was offered a drug run to europe ... as I am not really into that kind of scene i left quickly ... i move when situations like this arise or when arguments ( with locals ) about anything surfaces ..maybe this girl was not streetwise...there u are by yourselfe ( an exception u are married there and have a protection base ) if u white on your own  a female and maybe a druggy death can arise quickly as seen....everybody covers nobody cares

27 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

So as this is the Internet why not some wild speculation. Here goes ... girls bunglalow is set fire too in an attempt to kill her / destroy something - girl survives and flees on foot to the other end of the island buys ticket to leave island and checks in to a new hotel - killer either follows her or has access to hotel reporting of who is staying their (daily requirement) - ie is a person of influence .. killer finds her at new hotel abducts and kills her - initiates usual police cover up measures as per his other killings .. more or less likely than "official" story 

maybe she did set it on fire in an attempt to kill herself.

quite a lot of men tries and succeeds in killing themselves in Thailand  (under influence of drugs usually), why not women also ?

I agree hanging demands much more of skills, so that is not normall if under influence of drugs. At least not in nature, inside a house maybe more likely , and a house where you normally live and can plan for it.

A lot of people goes to Thailand to die, so it can not 100% be blamed on Thailand.

The Koh Tao/Surat Thani police have proved on multiple occasions that are they are not qualified to police and protect the island, as it keeps happening, and secondly not capable of finding the murderer. The fact that its them that have reopened the case will not alter anything. 

37 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

So as this is the Internet why not some wild speculation. Here goes ... <snip>

So also maybe speculation that she wanted to leave the 'notorious' tantra cult and that said cult members were not so happy about her leaving the cult maybe knowing things about the cult that the cult was not eager to have others know about.

15 hours ago, baboon said:

I meet / have met a fair few on their way there. You would be astonished by the number who are aware of the killings but simply couldn't care less, I'm afraid. Nor could they care less about lining the pockets of any mafia figures - It's all about them and their enjoyment.

Those of you who think that travel warnings will make the slightest difference to Ko Tao's tourist demographic are very sorely mistaken, in my opinion. That is not to say they should not be issued...

Agree

They don't exactly put these details in the  'Hayes and Jarvis,' or Kuoni,brochures, when the public are choosing their next holidays, in Thompson's on the high Street.

If some of the things we are being told are facts are true, then something really strange was going on.

I am not sure I am clear on the timeline. 

-She leaves on the ferry to Chumpon but gets off at Koh Tao. Some reports say her luggage continued to Chumpon

-She books a bungalow and it burns down that very night. Very strange

-She walks across the island and books a room under a fake name.

8 days later she is found and assumed to be dead three days. 

Either some parts are wrong, or she was acting very strange. Impossible to know what was really happening without a few more details coming forward.

Maybe she was on the run after something spooked her on the ferry? Just speculation of course.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There was also another couple of suspicious deaths, the guy that was found dead in the swimming pool shortly after the murder of the British couple is the one that springs to mind.

Looks like Thailand has another Charles Sobhraj on their hands. 

May be someone remembers the divemaster from Koh Tao, who was killed by natural causes, though his body was found severely burned about 200 meters away from the ferry port in Donsak. May be he knew to much and was ready to talk.

Archived