New car / Foreigners name

BEVUP

Hello all

Did a search & not a great deal of info (mainly about deals & dicounts)

So am thinking of buying one & put it in my name but don't want to pay cash (could but prefer to drag out since interest rate is low )

I will pay cash of just over half of cost

Looked just recently with wife & they wanted the usual doc's + 6 mth bank statements of both our Thai bank accounts

These Statements wont show much - only that i transfer money to my wife (into my account actually)

I'm on a Non "O" Marriage Visa & do not work here

Also i know i would have to go to the Immi Dept to get Residence Cert 

Have I missed anything & would this be doable 

Thanks all

Ps : This is due to the wifes family as many may be familiar with ( & would be able to sleep comfortably in 555 )

You shouldn't have a problem with putting it in your own name with a 50% deposit.

You will need your passport, proof of address, D license for insurance. Never heard of any of my friends having to show B/Accounts. If all else fails pay cash. But you will still need most of the above.

Don't forget that if you are married that the G/L gets half even if it's in your name.

Having problems with family??? Tip move at least 300 Miles away 500 Miles if they have transport.

Not jesting on the last bit.

Edited by fredob43

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You shouldn't have a problem with putting it in your own name with a 50% deposit.

You will need your passport, proof of address, D license for insurance. Never heard of any of my friends having to show B/Accounts. If all else fails pay cash. But you will still need most of the above.

Don't forget that if you are married that the G/L gets half even if it's in your name.

Having problems with family??? Tip move at least 300 Miles away 500 Miles if they have transport.

Not jesting on the last bit.

This deal may take place at a main Toyota branch in Korat 

Maybe the bank statements since we both don't  work in Thailand (i work abroad ) but will now only involve me

Yes know a bout the marriage bit as i have been coming & going for 9 yrs & if that happens she can have the family to turn (pigs will fly ) their the ones messing with her head costing me a fortune, & now can't trade in my Vigo since it's hocked to the hilt

Ps: Amongst getting carried away with all that I forgot one very important question

I only have a foriegn license that would only be good for 30 day stints & no IDP

Edited by BEVUP

19 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

This deal may take place at a main Toyota branch in Korat 

Maybe the bank statements since we both don't  work in Thailand (i work abroad ) but will now only involve me

Yes know a bout the marriage bit as i have been coming & going for 9 yrs & if that happens she can have the family to turn (pigs will fly ) their the ones messing with her head costing me a fortune, & now can't trade in my Vigo since it's hocked to the hilt

Ps: Amongst getting carried away with all that I forgot one very important question

I only have a foriegn license that would only be good for 30 day stints & no IDP

If I was you I would forget about buying a new lump. Rent one for the time you are in Thailand. Why do you want one anyway for the Family to drive whilst your not here ???

Re the Vigo let the peeps that have lent monies on it keep it that'll bugger the family and show you mean business.

You will need a Thai D/L to get insurance so looks like you are buggered from the start.

You are left with a couple of options get a D/L or Move. Suggest the latter.

There is an old saying...... If it Flies floats or F...s rent it.

Best of luck. 

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

If I was you I would forget about buying a new lump. Rent one for the time you are in Thailand. Why do you want one anyway for the Family to drive whilst your not here ???

Re the Vigo let the peeps that have lent monies on it keep it that'll bugger the family and show you mean business.

You will need a Thai D/L to get insurance so looks like you are buggered from the start.

You are left with a couple of options get a D/L or Move. Suggest the latter.

There is an old saying...... If it Flies floats or F...s rent it.

Best of luck. 

Well i have always had a car & this time i've been here for a few mths +

Yes i would but they lent more then it's worth - I could possibly give it to Toyota (guaranteed trade in price ) & pay the remainder 

Yes D/L is a big issue

No need to worry about family driving it as 1 in BKK & other not very far but would have no worries if he was to bring wifes mother around for his own financial gain

MAJOR ONE - There does need to be an example set but it's just at what cost ( it will be something )

ANOTHER THOUGHT - Well forget that because they just refinanced through another & paid of the first one since they wouldn't give more (in other words if it was financed they can still do anything ) 

AH A THOUGHT -Could i have a Mortgage on the vehicle as well as Toyota finance (but maybe then Toyota wont Finance or just buy it outright for wife ( due to D/L ) & put a mortgage on it 

Sorry about the dribble but am just trying to get the best situation

34 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well i have always had a car & this time i've been here for a few mths +

Yes i would but they lent more then it's worth - I could possibly give it to Toyota (guaranteed trade in price ) & pay the remainder 

Yes D/L is a big issue

No need to worry about family driving it as 1 in BKK & other not very far but would have no worries if he was to bring wifes mother around for his own financial gain

MAJOR ONE - There does need to be an example set but it's just at what cost ( it will be something )

ANOTHER THOUGHT - Well forget that because they just refinanced through another & paid of the first one since they wouldn't give more (in other words if it was financed they can still do anything ) 

AH A THOUGHT -Could i have a Mortgage on the vehicle as well as Toyota finance (but maybe then Toyota wont Finance or just buy it outright for wife ( due to D/L ) & put a mortgage on it 

Sorry about the dribble but am just trying to get the best situation

I have a friend who rents for 6 months a year whilst he's here. He had calculated that it works out the same if not less than buying one. N/B he dose rent an MPV so not cheap.

You will need a Thai D/L or no insurance. The finance company will want to see that.

I Have just brought a new lump even though it was insured with the same company they still wanted a copy of Thai D/L. UK one not excepted.

Looks like a new lump, is a new start again with the paper work rubbish. Not that I had to do it Toyota sorted that out.

NO they cant get monies if it's on Finance but one day the finance will be paid up you will receive all the paper work and you'll be buggered yet again.

If they have borrowed monies it's down to the plonker that lent it to them to sort out the selling of the Vigo. I assume it's not in your name so let them have it. Whatever you do don't pay out anymore cash. Walk if not run away. Someone is taking the pee.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43

2 minutes ago, golden farang said:

Foreigner can't even get bank acoount in Thailand if not work. You can put car in your name if pay cash or finance in wifes name.

not true. many farang have bank account without work permit

not true. many farang have bank account without work permit

Yes maybe they open them when they didnt check farangs much like nowdays. Last time i ask from bank in Bangkok they said straight no and did not even bother ask anything from me. They should put sign outside No farangs allowed! But let us know if they give finance for car i think not.

6 hours ago, golden farang said:

Yes maybe they open them when they didnt check farangs much like nowdays. Last time i ask from bank in Bangkok they said straight no and did not even bother ask anything from me. They should put sign outside No farangs allowed! But let us know if they give finance for car i think not.

Opened bank accounts in two Thai banks with absolutely no problem, just passport. I have no work permit and no Thai wife only Retirement extension. Both banks are no problem with asking for advice etc. and are quite happy to arrange insurances etc. for me.

7 hours ago, golden farang said:

I have 2 bank accounts with Kasikorn. Not a problem just Passport. But when I tried to get  bank account with another BKK Bank they said cant do. I then persisted asking why. Turns out they didn't know how to do it.

Friend of mine opened 2 acc: with passport in the Thai farmers bank just last week. 1 Currant acc: 1 Deposit. You just have to go to a bank that knows how to do same.

If you dont want a trashed car, make sure its not driven when you are not incountry. Making noises about it being "my car" and making sure no one else drives it. Most Thai men would not let someone else drive their car... Then you can disconnect the battery, remove important fuses, hide the fusebox reference, take the blue reg book with you, etc when you are out of country, to ensure its not driven/sold/used as a loan guarantee. Its your money so dictate the terms and dont let them walk over you. I built a garage so it can be locked away when i am not there...

Edited by MaiChai

Hi mate, why not cross the road ( carefully) from Toyota ( I presume you are talking about the one next to Tesco near the Sima Thani hotel) to the Toyota second hand motors used but guaranteed by Toyota. 

Youll get a much much better deal. 

I share your hurt hurt on the vios, my *uc*.ng step son stole our "family runaround" and mortgaged it up to the hilt after I bought it cash. 

17 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

If you dont want a trashed car, make sure its not driven when you are not incountry. Making noises about it being "my car" and making sure no one else drives it. Most Thai men would not let someone else drive their car... Then you can disconnect the battery, remove important fuses, hide the fusebox reference, take the blue reg book with you, etc when you are out of country, to ensure its not driven/sold/used as a loan guarantee. Its your money so dictate the terms and dont let them walk over you. I built a garage so it can be locked away when i am not there...

Oh maichai, if only I had known you three years ago.........