Bkk -> City Train To Be Scrapped

The train, projected to carry 300,000 passengers a year (today's SkytTrain does about 420,000 passengers a year) has been reviewed and deemed as unrealistic. By the now government.

However, I would agree.

Who on earth would want to use it, dragging their bags down to it and then up again, probably catching a cab from their final station anyway? And all that after a 10-12-25 hours flight to the place where a taxi is priced at 8-10 US$ from the airport?

Just look how shamefully the Sydney's airport rail has bankrupted (or is connected to the life supporting machines)? The ticket there is (was) 12A$. Taxi would be 25A$. Any 2 budget watching people traveling together would opt for a taxi.

I understand that some, only some, not even all of the backpackers would consider it.

I had a hope that there would be a fast rail link (as the plan was) from the airport to the southern bus terminal where I have a house.

The last time I have travelled by a public bus it took me 2h 20 minutes for the distance of 25km in a straith line (10 minutes to the travel centre by the shuttle bus, 40 minutes waiting for the bus to depart, 70 minutes travel + 20 minutes stacked in a traffic jam because the old Bush was in town).

Many major airports in the world do have a rail link (London Heathrow has an underground/metro and 2 independent train services to Paddington - and there is as much walking to the station as it's to the taxi rank) as well as public buses.

Rail always will be faster and cheaper than taxi

Many major airports in the world do have a rail link (London Heathrow has an underground/metro and 2 independent train services to Paddington - and there is as much walking to the station as it's to the taxi rank) as well as public buses.

Sure, where the taxis charge 80+ pounds. About a monthly salary of most of the workers and officers a traveler would see on their way from the plane to the street.

In BKK, the taxis are not for free, but a token price of 8$ for a 30km ride makes them no worry.

And a 24 minutes by a taxi from Ekkamai to the new airport (4 minutes longer than to the old one) does not justify any other mean of transportation unless it is a helicopter door-to-door for the same taxi price.

Well, let the Thais make the train, cost us nothing. That train would never see me and probably hardly anyone from this board anyway.

Just today I saw the flags marking the point they have reached in their endeavor. There are pillars that have been "stonehenging" for 15 years now, many would have to be demolished and re-erected, the press said.

Interesting, there was (and still is) a train to/from Don Muang. Passengers never needed it, it is still operating and, other than airport staff, it has not lost customers after the airport has moved.

Has anyone ever used i or even known about that train link?

The airport rail link is not gonna be scrapped. But the minister of finance (whose name escapes me right now) just said that it would never have occurred, had it been considered under the current gov't as it's not financially feasible. While I agree with him on this, I still believe that it would be better for Bangkok to have another elevated rail line. Actually this line is part of a bigger rail line plan that would eventually link Don Muang to Suvannabhumi and to the Southern Bus Terminal as LondonThai said.

This kind of infrastructure is needed for Bangkok. And yeah I repeat it's not gonne scrapped.

I for one, would like to see the train becoming a reality. This is because I live west of bkk. It is a 110km single journey for me to get to the airport now, and a taxi is for me a 700 baht trip (one way).

A train would certainly improve my options....

my two cents.

I think you mean per day....300,000 per year is not much about 1000 passengers per day. The sky train does 420.000 per day not per year! Typo? Because I take the skytrain most all the time and I know that there is more than 1150 passengers riding the train per day. I think if you look in the newspapers you will find it's per day.

I understand that some, only some, not even all of the backpackers would consider it.

Doubt it, it doesn't go to Khao San Road!

I think it would be a useful alternative for lone or couple travellers who have been travelling domestically or short distance. People who've been doing business in Phuket, Samui or Chiang Mai for example, or people returning from short weekend breaks who've packed light, a fair number of people actually. I'd use it in those circumstances for sure. Certainly not if flying in from Europe with a huge suitcase though, even if alone.

Rail links from airports to the city are a great thing to have...even with luggage, the terminals are generally designed so that it's not a big problem to carry your luggage around. It's a shame Bangkok won't be able to create something like KL Sentral, a truly useful integrated design if ever there was one :o

I wonder if there will be any stations at all up to Makkasan...though it might slow it down a bit, connecting the Srinakarin and Rama IX areas to mass transit would be fantastic.

There are lots of people who would use the BTS. Many have no luggage. Airport staff, friends meeting passangers on arrival. Domestic passangers etc. Anything that keeps cars off the road has to be a long term advantage

it took me 3 hours on a friday early evening to get from the airport to Talingchan, if I was arriving light at that time I would definately consider using it.

The train, projected to carry 300,000 passengers a year (today's SkytTrain does about 420,000 passengers a year) has been reviewed and deemed as unrealistic. By the now government.

However, I would agree.

Who on earth would want to use it, dragging their bags down to it and then up again, probably catching a cab from their final station anyway? And all that after a 10-12-25 hours flight to the place where a taxi is priced at 8-10 US$ from the airport?

Just look how shamefully the Sydney's airport rail has bankrupted (or is connected to the life supporting machines)? The ticket there is (was) 12A$. Taxi would be 25A$. Any 2 budget watching people traveling together would opt for a taxi.

:o

What a stupid post.

The "hub of Asia" in a city with huge transportation problems, doesn't need a rail link. Are you joking or stupid?

There are lots of people who would use the BTS. Many have no luggage. Airport staff, friends meeting passangers on arrival. Domestic passangers etc. Anything that keeps cars off the road has to be a long term advantage

I heard the cost was going to be 150 baht. If thats the case how many people will use?

Same as mentioned before, it'll still be the around about the same price as a taxi when you take into account the tolls and the 50 Baht extra surcharge for taking a cab from the airport. So for 2 or less lightly-packed people it'll still be a viable and useful option.

And, anyway, where do you get this 150 Baht figure from?

Edited by dantilley

I wouldn't mind paying 150 baht if I knew it runs often, is faster comparing to bus and taxi and I am still saving money. Anyway 150 it's what the airport bus costs now and I am using it because it runs every 20 minutes comparing to 35 baht by bus 556 running every hour.

It's a vital link to the city for the thai workers of the airport who have to make this trek everyday and at all different hours. They cannot afford to pay taxi fares twice a day to the airport and back. Also in certain times like holiday periods and traffic hours, it would be faster and easier and cheaper to use the train. Also using the train would seriously reduce chances of accidents since you are not on the highway or roads.

It's a vital link to the city for the thai workers of the airport who have to make this trek everyday and at all different hours. They cannot afford to pay taxi fares twice a day to the airport and back. Also in certain times like holiday periods and traffic hours, it would be faster and easier and cheaper to use the train. Also using the train would seriously reduce chances of accidents since you are not on the highway or roads.

I doubt that Thai workers will pay >100B for airport link when they can pay 35B for a bus that connects most of the Bangkok to the airport.

The airport link would also be useful for those who don't go to/from the airport, since the airport link is supposed to have 6-7 other stations (beside terminal stations). However, the pricing system should be unified, passengers shouldn't pay twice if they transfer from MRT/BTS to the airport link.

I doubt that Thai workers will pay >100B for airport link when they can pay 35B for a bus that connects most of the Bangkok to the airport.

I thought in such cases transportation for the staff is subsidized by the employer...

I thought in such cases transportation for the staff is subsidized by the employer...

I doubt that the employer will subsidize >200B return-trip for airport link to the employee that earns 300-500B/day...

Sure, where the taxis charge 80+ pounds. About a monthly salary of most of the workers and officers a traveler would see on their way from the plane to the street.

In BKK, the taxis are not for free, but a token price of 8$ for a 30km ride makes them no worry.

And a 24 minutes by a taxi from Ekkamai to the new airport (4 minutes longer than to the old one) does not justify any other mean of transportation unless it is a helicopter door-to-door for the same taxi price.

Well, let the Thais make the train, cost us nothing. That train would never see me and probably hardly anyone from this board anyway.

Just today I saw the flags marking the point they have reached in their endeavor. There are pillars that have been "stonehenging" for 15 years now, many would have to be demolished and re-erected, the press said.

Interesting, there was (and still is) a train to/from Don Muang. Passengers never needed it, it is still operating and, other than airport staff, it has not lost customers after the airport has moved.

Has anyone ever used I or even known about that train link?

YES Ive used it more as once, more as 20+ times in fact. But mainly in the mornings, when it went reasonably often (Iam not from where planes to BKK arrive at 24.00).

Also about ANY guidebook details/listed this link

Also the Japanese are due to their knowledge from home, often enthusiastic train-users.

In fact there IS a near ditto from the new airport, it just requires an other 15 bt Bus 517 ride to reach the station named HuaTaKhe, then its 7 baht and 55 mins to HuaLamPong main.

BUT; BKK's ''central'' station hardly suits anyone either! most known areas with lots of hotels are still a bus/taxi ride away from there, and taxis at HLPong are often MUCH harder to get to use their taxiMETER as at airport.

The projected new fare for the new airporttrain will be like 200/250 bt: thats WAY too much for airportworkers (who mainly live in the old Don Muang area anyway still), the complain that the current busfare (twice 35 bt) is already way too much. and it is, if you know normal Thai wages

The airport link would also be useful for those who don't go to/from the airport, since the airport link is supposed to have 6-7 other stations (beside terminal stations). However, the pricing system should be unified, passengers shouldn't pay twice if they transfer from MRT/BTS to the airport link.

I would like to know where you get the 100 baht figure from. anyways, it's definitely faster than a bus in rush hour or holiday time and safer given the way people drive these days.

it was mentioned earlier on the thread 150 and than 'projected price 200/250' - still it would be cheaper and faster than a taxi. Anyway, for those who are the first time in Bangkok airport taxi mafia offer 800 baht rides anywhere in Bangkok.

When I was waiting for a shuttle bus to the transport centre the worker, who suppose to inform and help travellers with the shuttle bus was sending all to the nearest taxi rank. He approached me twice with this offer and asked when the next shutle coming said 'I don't know'.