Thai/farang prices vice versa -- higher prices for thais in other countries

chado

There're special prices for farangs in Thailand which are about 20% higher than ones for thais. Don't get offended, it's normal, nothing personal... it's because you're an ATM handsome farang :passifier:

Alright. Are there countries where there're special, higher prices for thais as well?

Edited by chado

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, chado said:

Alright. Are there countries where there're special, higher prices for thais as well?

Yes the UK !!   think a bit more  e.g. just one thing it cost a lot more for Thais to get into UK if their even allow to,  how much for you into Thailand.

What about how much do you earn compared to most Thais.

Same old same old. :sick:

30 minutes ago, DLang said:

Many places.

Where locals get discounted rates.

It's not more expensive for you, it's cheaper for Thais. 

Ok I will reply one more time.

In my home city, musea are free for locals, including my wife - she is Thai.

My sister who lives in a neighbouring city pays full price.

Get it? Need a picture with it?

22 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Ok I will reply one more time.

In my home city, musea are free for locals, including my wife - she is Thai.

My sister who lives in a neighbouring city pays full price.

Your little home city is the World... the whole World... and nothing but the World?

Here ya go. It even moves. 

solar-eclipse-epic-dscovr.gif

Edited by DLang

1 minute ago, DLang said:

Your city is the world, the whole World, and nothing but the World?

Here ya go.

solar-eclipse-epic-dscovr.gif

You speak in riddles.

I have 2 home cities, my wife - Thai - too.

In 1 of the 2 we are both considered to be locals and get local price.

In the other 1 only my wife is local.

And your point was?

Just now, DLang said:

2 cities constitutes the World?

What a sheltered life some people live.

Many that explains your anger. 

My anger is about you not making yourself clear.

Please please wai wai tell me what your point is.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You speak in riddles.

I have 2 home cities, my wife - Thai - too.

In 1 of the 2 we are both considered to be locals and get local price.

In the other 1 only my wife is local.

And your point was?

A farang who lives in Thailand typically pays the local price, whereas the farang tourists does not.  There are exceptions, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

Thai vendors throw a price and my wife throws right back at them that she is Thai, don't give me that farang price. And the haggling goes on while I continue looking around or walk away to visit another vendor in seemingly indifference. She is a powerful negotiator and usually gets her way or walks away. No way is she paying farang prices. If we go to another vendor and she has to pay the same price she always walks past the 1st vendor, raises the bag, and gives a big sarcastic smile. Nothing wrong with saving face.

For those that do not think that there is sometimes a Thai price and a farang price are way out of the loop or in denial. Many Thai vendors take advantage of farangs but not all. It all depends but it does happen.

Our other strategy is for me to automatically point at the cheapest of anything and she looks at the better more expensive item while I shake my head no and walk away. She usually gets the item we initially wanted at a reduced price after I give her a smile and ok for the money she saved. She always gets a Good Girl before we leave.

I am very lucky to have a very frugal Thai wife. I don't go shopping without her because I don't want to be taken advantage of and shopping with her is still so much fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DLang said:

Many places.

Yes but some of the locals may be Thais who live there ie the reduction is based on residency rather than race.

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

A farang who lives in Thailand typically pays the local price, whereas the farang tourists does not.  There are exceptions, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

It is true that in most of the world tourists (of all races, even local tourists)are scammed.

Not in Scandinavia or NZ, but those are exeptions.

It is however NOT true that farangs who live in Thailand usually get the local price.

I even doubt that my Thai wife always gets the local price, when the scammers know she is married to a farang.

And I find it disgusting that I have to send my wife into a shop alone first to ask the price - though I must admit that the look on the scammer's face when I next walk in, compensates for that.

3 hours ago, DLang said:

Many places.

That's the way to most easily justify a 2 price system. One is the full price, the other is the discounted price.

I think this goes on in most countries. Should I get upset if students and old people pay less for public services in Australia?

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's the way to most easily justify a 2 price system. One is the full price, the other is the discounted price.

I think this goes on in most countries. Should I get upset if students and old people pay less for public services in Australia?

Only if it is white or orange or whatever students and old people.

1 hour ago, timkeen08 said:

I am very lucky to have a very frugal Thai wife. I don't go shopping without her because I don't want to be taken advantage of and shopping with her is still so much fun.

You don't really need to hang off your wife's coattails to get fair prices in Thailand. Sure, if you're interested in market shopping it will help somewhat, but a lot of us don't enjoy shopping for junk markets.

If you have a good idea of prices, you either pay that price or walk away. Mostly you'll get your price. The most important thing is to know prices before you buy. That's not difficult to work out for most expats.

21 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I can enter freely in many more countries than a Thai. 

Are you saying that Thais, other Asians and Africans should enter freely in Europe?

All 5.000 million of them?

A nice and very beautiful idea that is.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

You don't really need to hang off your wife's coattails to get fair prices in Thailand. Sure, if you're interested in market shopping it will help somewhat, but a lot of us don't enjoy shopping for junk markets.

If you have a good idea of prices, you either pay that price or walk away. Mostly you'll get your price. The most important thing is to know prices before you buy. That's not difficult to work out for most expats.

Tell that to Africans in Europe.

You will get sued just for suggesting it.

Sued, not only by the Africans, but by Europeans too.

I rather enjoy doing things with my wife and watching her operate. And you sir are no expert just because you THINK you are and you make too many assumptions.

1 minute ago, i claudius said:

I cant understand which of you get charged more .are you tourists ?i live in Pattaya traders realize i live here and never charge me extra.why would they? I would never use them again

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How do you know that you do not get charged more? Do you send in a Thai first, to ask the price?

I do (my wife).

If you wish, I could tell many stories about Thai people being extra helpful and very honest to me.
I am NOT a Thai basher.
But the scamming Thais form a far too large minority!

Totally agree on all three counts.

55 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I rather enjoy doing things with my wife and watching her operate. And you sir are no expert just because you THINK you are and you make too many assumptions.

LOL> no assumptions were made, sir. You indicated you hang off your wife's coattails. 

You often see Thai women emasculating their foreign partners. You can still do things with her, but act like a man.

Edited by tropo