Thai/farang prices vice versa -- higher prices for thais in other countries

chado

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

I used to live in a tourist resort in Australia that serviced many (naive) Japanese tourists back in the 80's during their economic boom years. The Australians ripped them off at every given opportunity.  "Opportunism" is not restricted to SE Asia, but alive and well everywhere on the planet. 

replace  "opportunism" with "greed"

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/3/2017 at 5:41 PM, starky said:

It's not that they can't accept it. It's this overwhelming need that some posters seem to have in which you need to accept their statements as absolute truth. Instead of having your own beliefs, opinions, views and experiences their are some posters who just need for you to accept that whatever they say is gospel whether or not it totally contradicts everything in your life that you know to be true. Just ignore.

"beliefs" = meaningless/fact less

On 7/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, kenk24 said:

I am not saying that they should have it easier - just that I do have it easier, in response to the question. I am not making any judgements here. 

I am pretty good at accepting things as they are... I have no problem paying a little extra for a National Park fee either. I see dual pricing in USA too - but my opinion is probably usually not popular on this forum. When I am doing well, I have no problem sharing with my wife and her family. They are nice people. I do not look at it as paying for services rendered as some here do - I look at it as sharing my life. 

and do they share back?

30 minutes ago, faraday said:

Odd that you post that Mr K. I distinctly remember you saying you believe in Jesus....

nah never said that but you "believed" I said it..........fact is Im an Atheist

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I am surprised to hear this about Australia.

I spent 3 years in NZ and was impressed by the honesty of the Kiwis.

I always assumed that since Australia is just off the NZ coast, Australians would be similar.

Actually, while in Kiwiland, I met many Australians who seemed like decent people, apart from their accent that is.

They are similar. A lot of the rip off merchants in Australia are from NZ lol.  

I certainly wouldn't trust a Kiwi any more than I'd trust an Australian. I happen to be both as I hold a passport for both countries.

Government regulations are what keep businesses honest. I was talking about a free for all in the 1980's. A lot has changed since then. 

The point I really wanted to make is that greed is rampant the world over.  

13 hours ago, kannot said:

and do they share back?

Yes. Absolutely. Good question. Thanks for asking. I am not a guy who needs much or likes to be waited on. I rarely have problems I can't handle - but the rare time my car won't start, my BIL popped the battery, took it to get charged and had me going again within a couple of hours... my FIL will show up in my office with a special dessert... my wife keeps a clean house, takes care of shopping and laundry and gladly makes meals anytime, though I don't mind making my own food too... if ever a health issue, I can see their concern... sometimes, you just have to open your eyes a little too. 

But, from what I see here, [tvf] people too easily calling Thai stupid etc.. expats get back what they give out. And the expats in my area are all pretty decent guys and mostly have pretty decent families and no problems with them - of course, there are exceptions and I bet it goes both ways... 

On 07/03/2017 at 0:19 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yes the UK !!   think a bit more  e.g. just one thing it cost a lot more for Thais to get into UK if their even allow to,  how much for you into Thailand.

What about how much do you earn compared to most Thais.

Same old same old. :sick:

Went to Peru last month. There is a whole train station where Thais and other foreigner are not allowed to buy tickets because the fare is cheap. Tickets to many tourist sites are very expensive for Thais than locals. Their policy is Peru for the Peruvians. Sounds familiar.

Went to Peru last month. There is a whole train station where Thais and other foreigner are not allowed to buy tickets because the fare is cheap. Tickets to many tourist sites are very expensive for Thais than locals. Their policy is Peru for the Peruvians. Sounds familiar.

Shhh. People like to think this is a uniquely Thai issue!

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Shhh. People like to think this is a uniquely Thai issue!

What is the Peruvian definition of "local"?

In Belgium, my Thai wife is considered "local" in our city, while my sister who lives in a neighbouring city, is not considered "local".

As a result my THAI wife pays less than my  sister for local musea or parks.

In Belgium, racism is illegal and condemned by the majority of the population.

I don't know about Peru.

I do know about Thailand though.

What is the Peruvian definition of "local"?

In Belgium, my Thai wife is considered "local" in our city, while my sister who lives in a neighbouring city, is not considered "local".
As a result my THAI wife pays less than my  sister for local musea or parks.

In Belgium, racism is illegal and condemned by the majority of the population.
I don't know about Peru.
I do know about Thailand though.

Charging foreigners more than locals can't be considered "racist"; nationalistic perhaps, for many that's something to be proud of (not for me though - I detest nationalism even when disguised as patriotism!).

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Charging foreigners more than locals can't be considered "racist"; nationalistic perhaps, for many that's something to be proud of (not for me though - I detest nationalism even when disguised as patriotism!).

Since Thais consider themselves a race, in Thailand nationalism, patriotism and racism are synonyms.

It would be different if foreigners could easily become Thais (nationals or simply permanent residents).

Then "local" would not have a racist undertone. This is the difference with my home country: anyone can become a local, so lower prices for locals is not racist.

1 minute ago, wprime said:

Australia has dual pricing for foreigners. Thankfully it's not on anything important like natural park entry (just hospital and education).

What about Thais who are resident in Australia?

Is it pactically speaking possible for Thais to become resident in Australia? To become locals?

Nunbers please, not theory, such as "theoretically farangs can become residents in Thailand too."

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What about Thais who are resident in Australia?

Is it pactically speaking possible for Thais to become resident in Australia? To become locals?

Nunbers please, not theory, such as "theoretically farangs can become residents in Thailand too."

Yes, same situation as Thailand, you become a citizen/PR you get local rates.

No idea on numbers but gaining Thai citizenship is significantly harder, but gaining PR significantly easier in Thailand.

On July 2, 2017 at 11:41 PM, Berkshire said:

A farang who lives in Thailand typically pays the local price, whereas the farang tourists does not.  There are exceptions, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

I used to feel sorry for the hill tribes in Chaing Mai. They got charged more than me, because they did not understand the system. It is not only farangs that get overcharged. Bangkok Thais do too. 

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

I used to feel sorry for the hill tribes in Chaing Mai. They got charged more than me, because they did not understand the system. It is not only farangs that get overcharged. Bangkok Thais do too. 

Yep definitely true for private sector, during the floods of 2010 Khun Tun (owner of Oishi group) sent many of his workers to volunteer in the flood affected areas and he himself went up to Ayutthaya to help out yet when he needed to use the Jetski taxi for ground transportation they charged him 7000 baht for a ride (going rates were 40 - 60 baht) simply because they knew he had the money.

I don't have any ethical problems with dual pricing but this guy went up there to help them yet they still overcharge him tremendously, doesn't sit right with me.

17 hours ago, wprime said:

Yes, same situation as Thailand, you become a citizen/PR you get local rates.

No idea on numbers but gaining Thai citizenship is significantly harder, but gaining PR significantly easier in Thailand.

>>>>>>>>>> gaining PR significantly easier in Thailand.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is it really?