Bus crashes into canal: driver killed, 12 passengers injured

webfact

Bus crashes into canal: driver killed, 12 passengers injured
By The Nation

NAKHON SAWAN: -- A Nan-Bangkok bus crashed into a canal in Nakhon Sawan province early Tuesday morning, killing the driver and injuring 12 passengers.

Police said the accident happened just after 2am on Nakhon Sawan-Phitsanulok Road in tambon Nong Krood in Banphot Pisai district.

The driver was trapped inside the bus and drowned. The passengers escaped by breaking the windows.

A passenger, Yos Wannachon, said the bus left Nan at 5pm. 

He said he felt the bus swaying briefly and then it crashed into a ditch in the middle of the road, flipped and crashed into the canal.

Police suspect that the driver fell asleep.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319841

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-04

Lucky Passengers, unlucky driver. Left Nan at 5pm, crashed at 2am, 7 hours later. Maybe there was a co-driver? Maybe!

Highway 117 from P'Lok to Nakhon Sawan is not a bad road. Fatigue as they surmise.  

24 minutes ago, poohy said:

Left Nan at 5pm, crashed at 2am, 7 hours later. Maybe there was a co-driver? Maybe!

Actually Maybe 9 hours later, a full driving day in effect!

Also....he may have been driving another route prior to this...... This driver's gone to God....his company (managers/owners) needs to be questioned

7 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Nobody helped the driver? But then again best he was removed from the gene pool

Why would you help the driver? He was sleeping before the crash, why wake him up after the crash? Seems to me Budha has taken care of him! Would you want him to drive another bus in another time?

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Can scientists not devise a way to prevent bus drivers falling asleep? How difficult can it be? Subliminal electric pulses to the CNS for example?

What about the girl assistant on the bus ?  She should be siting next to him to make sure he stays awake. Or was she up the back sleeping ?  I have been on buses when the girl talks almost non stop. No way would that driver go to sleep !!

39 minutes ago, markt7081 said:

http://www.napzapper.com/    been around for years.

Those aren't going to work though They wake you once you have actually fallen asleep - by then it's too late.

I meant something that prevents people falling asleep in the first place. Need to somehow keep the brain stimulated - maybe a cap that delivers undetectable pulses through electrodes to the brain...? I've no idea if that's feasible, but if they came up with something it would prevent countless hideous deaths.

Unfortunately even if he realized he was starting to nod off he just can't pull over for some shut eye, their would be a mutiny on the bus
How about 2 drivers or the girl assistant could take over for two hours while he naps . If a woman can fly an airbus then a bus wont be to hard

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Can scientists not devise a way to prevent bus drivers falling asleep? How difficult can it be? Subliminal electric pulses to the CNS for example?

I have seen a device in USA  that truckers wear that fits like a hearing aid on your ear and will buz if your head tilts forward.

41 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

What about the girl assistant on the bus ?  She should be siting next to him to make sure he stays awake. Or was she up the back sleeping ?  I have been on buses when the girl talks almost non stop. No way would that driver go to sleep !!

If a minivan is full, they don't  send an assistant, it's a waste of a space they could sell another ticket for... 

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

That's what Thai scientists did when they invented the original Red Bull & M150, replete with amphetamines and extra caffeine. Worked perfectly for years, til the killjoys in the Ministry of Health pulled the amphetamines out and forced the truck & bus drivers on to yaa baa. 

That's what Thai scientists did when they invented the original Red Bull & M150, replete with amphetamines and extra caffeine. Worked perfectly for years, til the killjoys in the Ministry of Health pulled the amphetamines out and forced the truck & bus drivers on to yaa baa. 

Problem with yaba or speed is it doesn't switch off when you want it to so your to jittery to get to sleep and more yaba next day and so on until you crash literally

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

nature  provided  one in  the  brain,  but  thats lacking  here in  many cases

11 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Those aren't going to work though They wake you once you have actually fallen asleep - by then it's too late.

I meant something that prevents people falling asleep in the first place. Need to somehow keep the brain stimulated - maybe a cap that delivers undetectable pulses through electrodes to the brain...? I've no idea if that's feasible, but if they came up with something it would prevent countless hideous deaths.

They are called amphetamines... :cheesy:

He might have had some already...