Convertible Car seat

momttc

Hello,

My 9 month old child and I will be traveling to Thailand and it's my first time to travel with a little baby. I do not plan to take a stroller because I try to buy a cheap one in Thailand when we get there. Based on my research , the best quality of car seats in Thailand are imported from Japan but they are expensive. I am not sure about the local brands they have there if they have reliable standard/crash test and are really safe enough for my child. I'm planning to ship a convertible car seat ( I want to buy the one that allows my child sit from an infant to 10 years old) before we fly. Since we will have a few connections, I try to carry stuff as less as possible. My child will be in a baby carrier and will sit on my lap for 26 hours flight. Here are my questions:

1. Does my child need a car seat to use on a plane? I understand that traveling with a child needs to reserve a seat that has a bassinet in front of the seat in advance, am I correct? Do I need to buy my child's seat to put a car seat installed on the plane?
  2. I know that in Thailand is not compulsory to use a car seat and some cars (taxis) do not have a belt at the back seat. If I rent a car, do you think those economy cars have a latch system? 
  3. I'm thinking to get a convertible car seat (the one can use from infant to 10 years old; 5lbs- 40-50lbs)  from the US/Canada like Evenflo or Cosco Scenera  or Graco All-in One (not looking to spend over $70 though). All these brands have crash test , reliable and cheaper than Thailand. Do you think all these car seats fit an economy car and allow me to use a latch system? I'm not sure if using a car seat and using the belt across its car seat will protect a child enough because I heard a lot of stories about crazy drivers in Thailand esp in Bangkok.. If you know any reliable brands/models like what I have mentioned above, please advise me. 
  4. I'm also looking for a high chair, but I need a portable one and hardly fall down if my child bends or turns around. I know that IKEA has good cheap highchair but it seems take a lot of spaces when storing it in my friend's house. I'm thinking to get a portable highchair that can sit on the chair tighten with straps. Not sure if Thailand has ones like that but I don't know the brands there unless I will bring one from here or just buy the original big high chair from IKEA. Please advise what brand/model to get there if any portable ones available.

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated. 

Car seats are segmented by weight. Up to 7 kg which is maybe 6 or 7 months. So start thinking of kg.

Go to facebook groups in Bkk for expats buy sell parenting etc. Join and shop away. Second hand is ok if the seat is not out dated or been in accident. Also should do a visual b4 paying to check cracks. 

Stroller can be great. Not for sidewalks but in malls or anywhere so a good quality comfort is good xhoice. 

Carerra is fine. 

There r a few other THAI brands

Not 3rd world here most big shopping malls have a big choice of seats push chairs and high chairs with familiar brand names (at a price) you should bring your own push chair free on any airline I have been on and just drop off at the point of boarding easy. 

My 2c worth, you don't need a car seat to travel on the plane, as an infant most airlines say they need to be on your lap during take off and landing after that up to you if you want a car seat (with extra seat booked of course), correct car seats not compulsory here (yet) but for taxi's you could try one of these http://www.beltupbaby.com/ no special securing system needed, car seats are available here in abundance but are they tested to a standard is the question, buy one before you leave, if your not bring a stroller it will be free to bring with your luggage, and don't bother with a high chair waste of money, get a booster seat which you can secure baby in and use it on a regular chair, you'll get much longer use out of it! Cheers, happy travels!

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 5:52 AM, hellstens said:

Thank you, but just wondering if most cheap car seats in Thailand have crash test? I know that lots of stuff selling online especially Lazada or private owned sell car seats from cheap stores in China and some of them have CE standard, so I don't know if that's enough test for a child sitting in that kind of carseat?

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 7:06 AM, Minnehaha said:

Car seats are segmented by weight. Up to 7 kg which is maybe 6 or 7 months. So start thinking of kg.

Go to facebook groups in Bkk for expats buy sell parenting etc. Join and shop away. Second hand is ok if the seat is not out dated or been in accident. Also should do a visual b4 paying to check cracks. 

Stroller can be great. Not for sidewalks but in malls or anywhere so a good quality comfort is good xhoice. 

Carerra is fine. 

There r a few other THAI brands

Thank you. I heard that Camera brand is good for Thais. Is it crash test?

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 9:46 AM, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

My 2c worth, you don't need a car seat to travel on the plane, as an infant most airlines say they need to be on your lap during take off and landing after that up to you if you want a car seat (with extra seat booked of course), correct car seats not compulsory here (yet) but for taxi's you could try one of these http://www.beltupbaby.com/ no special securing system needed, car seats are available here in abundance but are they tested to a standard is the question, buy one before you leave, if your not bring a stroller it will be free to bring with your luggage, and don't bother with a high chair waste of money, get a booster seat which you can secure baby in and use it on a regular chair, you'll get much longer use out of it! Cheers, happy travels!

Thanks a lot for the whole info.