Austria to control Italy border, send armoured vehicles to block migrants - ministry

webfact

Austria to control Italy border, send armoured vehicles to block migrants - ministry

tag-reuters.jpg

A border sign reading "Republic of Austria - border control" is seen in the Italian village of Brenner, Italy, at the Italian-Austrian border April 12, 2016. REUTERS/Dominic Ebenbichler/Files

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Austria has moved four armoured vehicles close to its border with Italy to guard against migrants and will likely set up controls on a key trade crossing "very soon", defence ministry officials said on Tuesday.

The planned controls will include the busy Alpine Brenner pass, a defence ministry spokesman said - a move that Italy warned last year would break EU rules on free movement.

"I expect border controls will be introduced very soon," Defence Minister Peter Doskozil told daily newspaper Kronenzeitung in an interview published on Tuesday.

Both Italy and Austria are members of the European Union's Schengen open-border zone, but free movement has been jeopardised by the reimposition of controls at many crossings across the bloc since the surge in migrants seen in 2015/16.

There was no immediate comment from Italy or EU officials.

Doskozil's spokesman said there was no concrete timetable for the new controls. "But we see how the situation in Italy is becoming more acute and we have to be prepared to avoid a situation comparable to summer 2015."

Italy has taken in more than 80,000 refugees and migrants so far this year, most of whom arrived by boat from Africa, making Italy the main point of entry to Europe.

Austria has already moved heavy equipment to the province of Tyrol, which borders Italy, including four armoured vehicles to block roads, the spokesman said.

"These are not battle tanks. These are armoured vehicles without weapons which could block roads. These were already used during the refugee crisis 201/16 at the Spielfeld border crossing (with Slovenia)."

The army would also be able to send in 750 soldiers within 72 hours to deal with emergencies, the spokesman added.

Controls at the Brenner pass would be particularly sensitive as the border there cuts across two communities that feel closely connected - Austria's Tyrol and Italy's South Tyrol. South Tyrol was once part of the wider Austro-Hungarian empire but was annexed by Italy in 1918.

The European Commission plans to present a set of measures to reduce the migrant flow across the central Mediterranean later on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Kirsti Knolle; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-04

Shutting the barn door after all the horses have fled.......

Maybe some countries are finally starting to get that this is an invasion....

Round them up & send them back to the mid east.....

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Shutting the barn door after all the horses have fled.......

Maybe some countries are finally starting to get that this is an invasion....

Round them up & send them back to the mid east.....

Send the Africans back to the Mid East and the Mid Easters back to Africa, is it?

There's a tide of humans pushing northward from Africa and pushing nw from the M.East.

Austria is doing the right thing, though perhaps belatedly.  

Send migrants to fellow-Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Malaysia, Indonesia.

China wants to increase its standing in the world.  Russia has immense tracts of fallow territory.  Let migrants go to China and Russia.

I know the reasons why migrants avoid those countries I mentioned, so don't bother telling me why.

well done Austria, although a bit late to the party, keep the pressure on italy then hopefully it will close its ports and impound all the ships used to bring the vermin in 

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

There's a tide of humans pushing northward from Africa and pushing nw from the M.East.

You ain't seen nothing yet. My prediction for the future (say 100-150 years time) is for black Africa to surge north due to population pressure in a pincer movement up the west cost, and up the Nile, displacing the Arabs, who will be forced out through Egypt into the Near East leading to massive conflict there over limited resources (incidentally, wiping out Israel in the process) and inevitably surging into Russia and Eastern Europe. Europe will by that time have battened down the hatches completely, but by the time the upheaval is over - nukes will certainly be involved - the world will look very different.

Plenty of action to come.

6 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Language reminiscent of that which was used in Europe about 80 years ago.

I aint interested, preach to someone who is 

Wish the rest of Europe would wake up and realise that it's impossible to allow the entire population of Africa, the middle East and Pakistan to come live in Europe just because they are poor.

Maybe BREXIT was exactly what Europe or the EU needed to wake up. 

.you have the new French leader stating he will try and tackle the beaurocracy in the eu, Countries starting to close borders to "refugees" just the things that those who voted for Brexit voted on

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

Maybe BREXIT was exactly what Europe or the EU needed to wake up. 

.you have the new French leader stating he will try and tackle the beaurocracy in the eu, Countries starting to close borders to "refugees" just the things that those who voted for Brexit voted on

How about some basic facts regards UK asylum / refugee policy prior to Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/01/how-britain-hard-stance-refugees-reshaping-european-policy

14 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

You ain't seen nothing yet. My prediction for the future (say 100-150 years time) is for black Africa to surge north due to population pressure in a pincer movement up the west cost, and up the Nile, displacing the Arabs, who will be forced out through Egypt into the Near East leading to massive conflict there over limited resources (incidentally, wiping out Israel in the process) and inevitably surging into Russia and Eastern Europe. Europe will by that time have battened down the hatches completely, but by the time the upheaval is over - nukes will certainly be involved - the world will look very different.

An easy prediction to make as nobody reading this now and nobody alive in the world today, even babies born in the last hour will be alive in 150 years. Possible a very few will be alive in 100 years but they won't be reading this either.

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

An easy prediction to make as nobody reading this now and nobody alive in the world today, even babies born in the last hour will be alive in 150 years. Possible a very few will be alive in 100 years but they won't be reading this either.

Call me Nostradamus. Maybe next century someone will see this (and all my other theories) and realise they should have listened. In any case, no one else has foreseen this.

Haleema-and-Usman-1v.jpg.2195ca2aeaf78ee207c77f48655f5de3.jpg

Look, the anti-foreigner and anti-Muslim sentiments we see here are a bit silly.  The above picture, is of a Muslim bird called Haleema Butt. This Muslim lady has been sacked from her job at Heathrow Airport, because her brother was involved in a terrorist act in Britain. Haleema is a stunningly beautiful lady. Does Europe really want to stop women, who look like her from entering Europe ?
Off-couse not.

On 04/07/2017 at 5:04 PM, ddavidovsky said:

But if a load of Arabs come into Europe, if the women look the same as the bird in the above picture, that's okay, right ??
:smile:

Look, the anti-foreigner and anti-Muslim sentiments we see here are a bit silly.  The above picture, is of a Muslim bird called Haleema Butt. This Muslim lady has been sacked from her job at Heathrow Airport, because her brother was involved in a terrorist act in Britain. Haleema is a stunningly beautiful lady. Does Europe really want to stop women, who look like her from entering Europe ?
Off-couse not.

If them or their familys kill us ,then the answer is yes.we dont care what they look like

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Off-couse not.

If her brother has been involved in terrorist acts, who is to say that she could not become involved and having access to Heathrow is not really the best thing.  Especially if she had air side clearance.  The security of thousands of people is far more important than her job 

2 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

But if a load of Arabs come into Europe, if the women look the same as the bird in the above picture, that's okay, right ??
:smile:

If she came married to an European, and is thereby assimilated, fine. A bit of diversity in any society is good.

Otherwise, as economic migrants who are just parasitising a superior economy - then no.

Apart from the fact that the very brazen sense of entitlement necessarily displayed by immigrants is distasteful, they are liable to bring their whole culture with them - certainly their unwelcome religious values - which is alien to the indigenous culture. 

Edited by ddavidovsky

I found this on the BBC News online this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40515054

Amnesty International has blamed "failing EU policies" for the soaring death toll among refugees and migrants in the central Mediterranean.

In a report, it said "cynical deals" with Libya consigned thousands to the risk of drowning, rape and torture.

It said the EU was turning a blind eye to abuses in Libyan detention centres, and was mostly leaving it up to sea rescue charities to save migrants.

What it didn't appear to say that the main reason for the soaring death toll is that the refugees and migrants were not invited, not wanted but just keep coming over.

Many of them are men of the age to resist the people who are causing the problems and they are leaving their own countries and in many cases their own wives and children behind.

IMHO it is NOT always the fault of the EU countries and certainly not their responsibilty to house, feed and look after hundreds of thousands of refugees despite what Amnesty International say or think.

Yes I do agree that we should halp them but ONLY after the people who already live in the EU, and the UK for that matter are housed, looked after, found jobs etc.

My parents many decades ago taught me that charity begins at home.

On 7/6/2017 at 0:38 PM, billd766 said:

I found this on the BBC News online this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40515054

Amnesty International has blamed "failing EU policies" for the soaring death toll among refugees and migrants in the central Mediterranean.

In a report, it said "cynical deals" with Libya consigned thousands to the risk of drowning, rape and torture.

It said the EU was turning a blind eye to abuses in Libyan detention centres, and was mostly leaving it up to sea rescue charities to save migrants.

What it didn't appear to say that the main reason for the soaring death toll is that the refugees and migrants were not invited, not wanted but just keep coming over.

Many of them are men of the age to resist the people who are causing the problems and they are leaving their own countries and in many cases their own wives and children behind.

IMHO it is NOT always the fault of the EU countries and certainly not their responsibilty to house, feed and look after hundreds of thousands of refugees despite what Amnesty International say or think.

Yes I do agree that we should halp them but ONLY after the people who already live in the EU, and the UK for that matter are housed, looked after, found jobs etc.

My parents many decades ago taught me that charity begins at home.

Never invite trouble into your home (country).....

On 04/07/2017 at 2:20 PM, boomerangutang said:

Send migrants to fellow-Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Malaysia, Indonesia.

China wants to increase its standing in the world.  Russia has immense tracts of fallow territory.  Let migrants go to China and Russia.

I know the reasons why migrants avoid those countries I mentioned, so don't bother telling me why.

I would like to say. Looking at all the xenophobic and anti-immigrant comments here, I am ashamed to be British.

In America, a democratic vote took Mr Trump to the White House.  Donald Trump hinted and implied a whole load of measures that were, in my opinion, xenophobic and anti-immigration. Lot's of people reckoned these ideas were silly and foolish. But, looking at the comments here, I really wonder, do lots of people support such silly and foolish ideas ?

Maybe, Trump's victory was not surprising at all. How many people want to keep the "foreigners" out ? How many people genuinely, or secretly, supported Trump's xenophobic and anti-immigrant views ? Looks like, that loads of people in America and Europe share Trump's views.

Edited by tonbridgebrit

37 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

I would like to say. Looking at all the xenophobic and anti-immigrant comments here, I am ashamed to be British.

In America, a democratic vote took Mr Trump to the White House.  Donald Trump hinted and implied a whole load of measures that were, in my opinion, xenophobic and anti-immigration. Lot's of people reckoned these ideas were silly and foolish. But, looking at the comments here, I really wonder, do lots of people support such silly and foolish ideas ?

Maybe, Trump's victory was not surprising at all. How many people want to keep the "foreigners" out ? How many people genuinely, or secretly, supported Trump's xenophobic and anti-immigrant views ? Looks like, that loads of people in America and Europe share Trump's views.

That would depend on what type of foreigners....if you are talking about families who want to come into, lets say the UK, and work, pax taxes and contribute to the country then I dont have a drama, if you are talking about the thousands of single fighting age men (vermin) coming into the country hopeing to get free board and lodging or the people that come in and dont want to live as we do and preach hate and want to bring there backward ways then NO not at all, keep them all out