Thais warned not to use their national ID number to log onto Facebook

webfact

Thais warned not to use their national ID number to log onto Facebook

5.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A Thai online protection agency has warned Thai people not to use their national ID number to access Facebook.

The agency said that many Thais were using the thirteen digit number and that there were fears that if their details fell into the hands of unscrupulous people they could suffer identity theft.

People could pose as them online for criminal activity.

They advised people to use random passwords not connected with official channels like their ID number.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-05

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The sad thing is that people actually need to be told this.

Idiots!

I think "idiots" is rather a harsh comment. I would hope most expats tend to be aware there are always cheats looking for an opportunity to scam someone, one way or another.

Thais have latched onto using the internet (mainly facebook) with virtually no knowledge of illegally accessing accounts and harvesting personal data.

View it as a lack of common sense if you will, but I see it as more inexperience in a new technology, and how it can work against you.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but coming from the west where data harvesting is rife - sometimes by going through people's rubbish, I never throw letters in the bin showing my name an address, without first shredding it into small pieces.

My wife initially thought I was crazy, but now she has come to understand my thinking on this.

The same with unsolicited phone calls. They often start by asking, "Are you Joe Bloggs?" I've told my wife not to confirm her name or details from anyone calling, whoever they claim to be.

Now when she receives one of these calls, she goes on the offensive by asking, "Who are you?" or more often, "Are you selling insurance?" to which the answer ninety-percent of the time is affirmative.

I don't see any problem with explaining that you need to be on your guard from unscrupulous people/callers.

Edited by bluesofa

'People could pose as them online for criminal activity'

And herein lies the problem. How many people use Facebook at work and leave their account logged in when away for lunch or napping at their desks under their jackets? What if someone else posts that the PM is a big poo poo head? The police have to prove who posted that message so they can then be sent to jail for this most heinous crime. 

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I think "idiots" is rather a harsh comment. I would hope most expats tend to be aware there are always cheats looking for an opportunity to scam someone, one way or another.

Thais have latched onto using the internet (mainly facebook) with virtually no knowledge of illegally accessing accounts and harvesting personal data.

View it as a lack of common sense if you will, but I see it as more inexperience in a new technology, and how it can work against you.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but coming from the west where data harvesting is rife - sometimes by going through people's rubbish, I never throw letters in the bin showing my name an address, without first shredding it into small pieces.

My wife initially thought I was crazy, but now she has come to understand my thinking on this.

The same with unsolicited phone calls. They often start by asking, "Are you Joe Bloggs?" I've told my wife not to confirm her name or details from anyone calling, whoever they claim to be.

Now when she receives one of these calls, she goes on the offensive by asking, "Who are you?" or more often, "Are you selling insurance?" to which the answer ninety-percent of the time is affirmative.

I don't see any problem with explaining that you need to be on your guard from unscrupulous people/callers.

If this were 2007 rather than 2017, I would say that you have a valid point.

But with all the stories in the media, on FaceBook itself, etc. it is inexcusable to not understand that you need a password other than your national ID number.

People see stories recommending a better password, they just choose not to do anything about it- that is the problem.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

'People could pose as them online for criminal activity'

And herein lies the problem. How many people use Facebook at work and leave their account logged in when away for lunch or napping at their desks under their jackets? What if someone else posts that the PM is a big poo poo head? The police have to prove who posted that message so they can then be sent to jail for this most heinous crime. 

Remember Uncle SMS?

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I think "idiots" is rather a harsh comment.

Yes, maybe 'simpletons' is a better comment... it applies to people who are limited and don't understand anything beyond what they're experiencing right now - who use their ATM Pin codes, or passport numbers, or telephone numbers as passwords for internet accounts. The problem is then that they are expected to use their 'imagination' to create a unique password. What they need is someone to tell them what their 'unique password' might be.

Of course, your comment also missed the mark - it's not about protecting about unscrupulous callers... it's about not using something obvious or sensitive. 1. Don't use your passport number to log into Yahoo mail. 2. Don't use the same password for yahoo mail and facebook 3. don't tell people your passwords.

Thai education breeds simpletons... when trying to explain to a Thai student that you can have different ways to do the same job they can become rather angry. Their teacher taught them better than that. There's only ONE correct way to do anything, and if you can't remember what it is then you should accept that you don't remember and not try any further.

Harsh is the way to go - then perhaps the stupid people will get angry and start telling their country that they are not happy with the result of their schooling, instead of simply repeating 'that's the way we learned so it's good enough for our kids too'.

Edited by ben2talk

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Yes, maybe 'simpletons' is a better comment... it applies to people who are limited and don't understand anything beyond what they're experiencing right now - who use their ATM Pin codes, or passport numbers, or telephone numbers as passwords for internet accounts. The problem is then that they are expected to use their 'imagination' to create a unique password. What they need is someone to tell them what their 'unique password' might be.

Of course, your comment also missed the mark - it's not about protecting about unscrupulous callers... it's about not using something obvious or sensitive. 1. Don't use your passport number to log into Yahoo mail. 2. Don't use the same password for yahoo mail and facebook 3. don't tell people your passwords.

Thai education breeds simpletons... when trying to explain to a Thai student that you can have different ways to do the same job they can become rather angry. Their teacher taught them better than that. There's only ONE correct way to do anything, and if you can't remember what it is then you should accept that you don't remember and not try any further.

Harsh is the way to go - then perhaps the stupid people will get angry and start telling their country that they are not happy with the result of their schooling, instead of simply repeating 'that's the way we learned so it's good enough for our kids too'.

Thanks for your reply to my comments.

I follow your point about my missing the mark. That was due to trying to mention a few different points about not only passwords, but about getting my wife to question people who ask for information, something that doesn’t really come naturally.

Having said that, getting back to passwords, I agree completely with what you said about not logging on to any internet account using a passport number, or the same password for different accounts, etc. I know expats here who do that.

It does require people to think for themselves, this being something that is sadly discouraged in state Thai schools and life here generally.

I also follow what you said what their teacher told them as being gospel.
I remember a Thai female who moved to the UK. A few times we had the same argument about the letter ‘W’. She insisted it was not pronounced ‘double-you’, but ‘dub-yoo’, as that was what her Thai teacher had told her as a kid.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit