Bt500m expected to be raised as 300 seized cars auctioned

webfact

Bt500m expected to be raised as 300 seized cars auctioned
By Anant Chantarasoot
The Nation

c242062364cd3363f73ffae4d18a4ef6.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Customs Department held an auction of 300 confiscated vehicles at its head office in Bangkok's Klong Toey district on Thursday.

The auction was expected to fetch at least Bt500 million.

Many bidders showed up to check out the vehicles. Officials confirmed they could be registered legally after modification and repair to meet the Land Transport Department's requirements.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30320067

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-06

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

I think that headline was meant to say..... "The auction was expected to fetch at least Bt500 million; less commissions".

Officials confirmed they could be registered legally after modification and repair to meet the Land Transport Department's requirements.

Did not take long to switch from cannot to can be registered and what could possibly not meet Thailand's Land Transport Department requirements. Maybe too much tread on the tires.

35 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Absolutely ridiculous.  VIP arm chairs at the front as well.

You don't expect the corrupt Hisos, RTP and RTA  Major Majors super bent Generals along with "others" to sit in uncomfortable chairs do you during this massive cash money laundering exercise do you ?  Plus of course many of these vehicles had been stolen from overseas so in fact it is state sponsored expropriation

If these vehicles were acquired through illegal drug or other illegal sources of revenue.....definately...auction them off to the highest bidder....well done!!

If the cars were acquired by legitimate sources of money, but sold by a dishonest vendor who cheated the customer, in that case the customer deserves full refund with interest....

Furthermore, the auction must be fair and give equal chances to any bidder..

If not done by this criteria, that would mean that the officials who conduct the acution have cheated and stolen somebodys honest money that makes the picture scary and may call to think thrice before investing one sole Bhat in Thailand....

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Will there be any stolen from the UK in this lot ?

regards worgeordie

Sure there will be,....somebody really wants he's off priced super car (back) and legalized !?!?

6 hours ago, tracker1 said:

I take it that is was a " General " auction anyone could attend !

Hmm,...I don't think farangs could !!!! You know how they hate it if a Farang has a better deal than them !?!?!?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

c242062364cd3363f73ffae4d18a4ef6.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Customs Department held an auction of 300 confiscated vehicles at its head office in Bangkok's Klong Toey district on Thursday.

That would be a good deal at an average 1.7 Million per car.

I guess I'm not invited to the party.

This is a bit quick for the ones seized the other week.  This is probably the usual sale of seized imported vehicles by customs.  

You know the ones that have the computers removed before they come to Thailand and the manufacturers will not supply new computers.  The original owner lets it be seized and is then auctioned off, worth Satang in the Baht without the computer.  New/original owner installs computer and hey presto legally in Thailand without paying the huge import duties.

Anyone else expressing an interest in buying at the auction is quietly told to shut up or their health is at risk.

Cheers

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

That would be a good deal at an average 1.7 Million per car.

I guess I'm not invited to the party.

Here is the match.

A super car for 1.7 mio, tax free and legal after. Bargain.

This is a bit quick for the ones seized the other week.  This is probably the usual sale of seized imported vehicles by customs.  

You know the ones that have the computers removed before they come to Thailand and the manufacturers will not supply new computers.  The original owner lets it be seized and is then auctioned off, worth Satang in the Baht without the computer.  New/original owner installs computer and hey presto legally in Thailand without paying the huge import duties.

Anyone else expressing an interest in buying at the auction is quietly told to shut up or their health is at risk.

Cheers

That does explain rather a lot of things I have been wondering about.
Well, well, well!
:)

7 hours ago, Litlos said:

Cheers

Quite a high risk strategy. What do you do if it was decided a non-operable vehicle should be sold as parts, or simply crushed?

Quite a high risk strategy. What do you do if it was decided a non-operable vehicle should be sold as parts, or simply crushed?

I should imagine that the element of risk is in inverse proportion to the level of the contacts of the original owner or purchaser.

26 minutes ago, halloween said:

The auction is run by the Customs, a division of the RTP, so safe to assume the facts are organised beforehand.

There was an instance from memory when they ran a bulldozer over a few, I think the guy in charge was transferred shortly after.  Also from memory a couple of years ago someone did an audit and there was 100+ missing from the impound areas.

Cheers

13 hours ago, halloween said:

You can?

You ask me can i drive, yes I can it's not real hard but there seems to be an extraordinary amount of carnage on Thai roads. Much of it to do with very poor driving skills