17 foreigners given the nod to invest

17 foreigners given the nod to invest

By The Nation

The Department of Business Development has approved the applications of 17 foreigners to do business in Thailand with combined investment of Bt331 million.

Most of them are from Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

In June, the number of foreigners allowed to invest here declined by 14 from the previous month. Combined investment declined 79 per cent year on year to Bt1.314 billion. 

During the first half of the year, the numbers of foreigners permitted to invest here was 136 with combined investment of Bt3.743 billion, versus 179 over the same period last year with investment of Bt3.711 billion. Last year, 352 foreigners were permitted to invest here with total investment of Bt7.442 billion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30320075

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-6

53 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

17? must be more than that. there are still plenty of western guys opening bars and investing in new houses for their tiraks.

Lol i wouldn't call opening a bar in Thailand an investment. That's quite a stretch. More like a risk. 

Lucky to break even after 20 years and get out of it ;)

obviously the "journalist" was not attending class when "Board of Investment" sponsored investments and regular cross border investments were explained.

4 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

Another poorly written business article from the Nation :laugh: 

Not clear at all what exactly they're talking about. 

I think they're talking about that foreigners interested to invest in this regime plunged by almost 50% in a month, and combined investment plunged 79% year over year.

The outside world must really have confidence in this bunch of self appointed rulers.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I think they're talking about that foreigners interested to invest in this regime plunged by almost 50% in a month, and combined investment plunged 79% year over year.

The outside world must really have confidence in this bunch of self appointed rulers.

Good luck to these 17 investors - they will need every bit of it.

50% is the number I was thinking of quoting in a different context.

"They have a 50% chance of having their investment taken/stolen or disappearing within 5 years". A higher chance if their business turns out to be very profitable.

The Australian gold mining company Kingsgate had their gold mine stolen from them as soon at it turned profitable. A simple wave of Prayut's magic wand (Article 44) saw it disappear in a blink.

The Kingsgate boss said that what was happening to his company would have a chilling effect for other foreign investors.

It seems as if he may be right.

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

17? must be more than that. there are still plenty of western guys opening bars and investing in new houses for their tiraks.

Lol, that's cute. 

Unfortunately, they're re talking about real investors like multi-million dollar corporations.

My best guess is they are talking about businesses in List 3 of the Foreign Businesses Act which require approval from the Department of Business Development if foreigners want to undertake these activities. The word Foreigners is also very vague unless assumed in this context. List 1 and List 2 require different approvals, and as far as I'm aware set up of other businesses don't require DBD approval

Shouldn't have to guess though LOL Most likely the author doesn't know what he's talking about either and has less knowledge than his readers

Edited by fletchsmile

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most of them are from Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

I suspect having connections with investors from these three countries who have been operating in Thailand for some time understand what has to be done to succeed in Thailand. Such understanding might be illegal in other countries that might discourage investment.

13 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

That's a gift, not an investment lol

Any farang who thinks he owns the house he bought for his Thai gf could be in for a rude awakening