Impossible to find pure Nitroglycerin Sublingual tablets or spray in Chiang Mai?

muskoka

Why is it impossible to find pure fast-acting Nitroglycerin Sublingual tablets or spray in Chiang Mai? Perhaps it is the same all over Thailand? Believe me I have tried and tried.

Every place including Ram Hospital Pharmacy and many other pharmacies all push Isorem 5 for treating a heart attack that is underway, but it is way slower acting then pure Nitroglycerin.

"A vasodilataor used in the treatment of angina pectoris. Its actions are similar to nirtoglycerin but with a slower onset of action. [PubChem}

http://www.ndrugs.com/?s=isorem

The Mayo Clinic and most major "Western" heart associations recommend Nitroglycerin and it has been available everywhere for 40 years or more, except here it seems. Ram did offer a slow release Nitro, plus said they administer it by needle, but no sublingual tablets or spray. They kept insisting I buy Isorem 5 which I already have, but it is slow acting.

...Nitroglycerin is available as two types of products that are used for different reasons. The extended-release capsules are used every day on a specific schedule to prevent angina attacks. The oral spray, sublingual powder, and sublingual tablets work quickly to stop an angina attack that has already started or they can be used to prevent angina if you plan to exercise or expect a stressful event.

... Nitroglycerin sublingual tablets usually give relief in 1 to 5 minutes. However, if the pain is not relieved, you may use a second tablet 5 minutes after you take the first tablet. If the pain continues for another 5 minutes, a third tablet may be used. If you still have chest pain after a total of 3 tablets, contact your doctor or go to a hospital emergency room right away. Do not drive yourself and call 911, if necessary.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/nitroglycerin-oral-route-sublingual-route/proper-use/drg-20072863

My Dr. at Ram gave me a prescription for nitro sublingual tabs and mentioned he could not find the spray anywhere, if I do come across it please let him know. The Ram pharmacy only had Isorem 5.

I raised a little hell at the Ram Pharmacy and had 3 people scrambling around looking for nitroglycerin sublingual tabs and no luck, but someone found an old bottle of spray (Nitromint) that was 4 years old and expiring in 2 months. It was the only one they had and was not even in their drug store room.

No discount, paid over B800 for it even after pushing for a better price on something due to expire.

For the records, the spray works GREAT!!! No side effects like I get from Isorem (some nausea, a bit weak and dizzy).

Moving back to Canada in September. Tired of having to question and push so much with basic health issues.

You are the 2nd person to mention Suan Dok pharmacy.

Thanks.

Can my Dr. at Ram give me a prescription for the Suan Dok pharmacy or do I have to make an appointment with a Dr. at Suan Dok?

Doug

40 minutes ago, muskoka said:

Thanks.

Can my Dr. at Ram give me a prescription for the Suan Dok pharmacy or do I have to make an appointment with a Dr. at Suan Dok?

Doug

Just walk in and buy.

I use a pharmacy in Meechok Plaza since I live nearby. I was looking into obtaining nitroglycerin tablets about a month ago and asked him about availablity. He said it's not, but he suggested Nitromist as the alternative and asked if I wanted him to obtain some for me (it's a special order not stocked). I replied not at this time; but it seems I could obtain it if I wanted the spray. 

FYI

8 hours ago, muskoka said:

Thanks.

Doug

Maybe, things change often, but Electrified is not often wrong and if he is at least you can find out if they stock it by going to SD, and find the answers to your other questions.  Take a chance, you will not have to wait long to make an inquiry at the SD Pharmacy.

Well, today I went to: Sriphat Pharmacy who also called Suan Dok, no, went to University Pharma - no,  Lanna - no, went to Bangkok - no. Already been to most or all the others previously & several pharmacys including Fascino who called their other stores.

None had nirto spray and all pushed Hartsorb or Isorem which are not nearly as good (slow acting and I get side effects). I am going to ration the little amount of expired Nitromint  Spray I have left and have to wait until I get to Canada to get proper nitro.

My Dr at Ram was right, he could not find any nitro spray anywhere.

Thanks for your help guys, not enough profit in Nitro it seems.

Doug

4 minutes ago, muskoka said:

Well, today I went to: Sriphat Pharmacy who also called Suan Dok, no, went to University Pharma - no,  Lanna - no, went to Bangkok - no. Already been to most or all the others previously & several pharmacys including Fascino who called their other stores.

None had nirto spray and all pushed Hartsorb or Isorem which are not nearly as good (slow acting and I get side effects). I am going to ration the little amount of expired Nitromint  Spray I have left and have to wait until I get to Canada to get proper nitro.

Doug

Did you ask any of the pharmacies if they could order it for you?

Just now, muskoka said:

Doug

You should stop asking for 'proper nitro" which is commonly known as Glyceryl Trinitrate(dozens of trade names)  outside the North American continent. 

You can look it up in MIMS Thailand. http://www.mims.com/thailand

1 minute ago, elektrified said:

Did you ask any of the pharmacies if they could order it for you?

No, they all seemed helpless and I decided to wait until my appointment with my Dr at Ram on the 18th and push him to get some for me from anywhere!

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

You should stop asking for 'proper nitro" which is commonly known as Glyceryl Trinitrate(dozens of trade names)  outside the North American continent. 

You can look it up in MIMS Thailand. http://www.mims.com/thailand

I wrote down all the names mentioned here, typed them up on a word doc printed it down and gave the list to every place I went.

Did my homework.

Off topic but sorta relevant, it is impossible to get Bayer aspirin in Chiang Mai (and I think all of Thailand). Not a single pharmacy has it. After trying dozens I found one Pharmacy near Thapae gate that has the red-coated 350 mg Thai made generic aspirin. But I have taken Bayer all my life and was used to it and trusted it. Oh well. I hope you get your nitro spray. I am at an age now that I need to start thinking about that.

Archived