damage caused by shop not securing load.

revar

i bought 4 6meter steel pipes (0.5") at a shop i have been coming to for 18 years. they secured it to the roof of my pickup, but not by the usual guys who normaly do that. ( i saw them busy with something else).

About 200 meters after driving away i heard a lot of noise on the roof , stopped, and saw that the pipes,had jumped up and down and dented and,scratched my roof. the cord which had been used to secure them had a. lot of slack and the pipes had not been bound together in the front so they moved independently from eachother.

When i went back to the shop to complain they admitted that yes their employee had madea mistake, no they would not look at the damage,, refused to give the telephonenumber for their shop for my, insurance and became agressive.

In the west, the shop would, be responsible for the, damage, caused, by their, employee. is, this, also so here in thailand?

But since they become,aggressive,when asked for telephone number it might be hard to get to their insurance company.

I was planning to trade, in the car for, a new model next year (its 2 years old now) and,am worried,that if i let my car insurance,fix,it it will affect trade in vallue.

any advice would be,appreciated

If the workers don't know how to safely tie things down, they obviously shouldn't be doing it. But unfortunately this is a hit or miss area in Thailand. I don't know what the liability law is and apparently nor does anyone so far. However, it is quite unreasonable to require every joe and grandma to watch the workers, tell them what they did isn't going to work, and educate them on how to do it securely.

Some stores stamp your receipt on the way out. They need a quality guy to do the same for assuring goods were loaded securely. Of course, nothing will happen as long as we all continue to just ignore the bad jobs and move on.

For now anyone loading up on a regular basis should spend some time learning knots and proper ways of securing things. Plenty on the internet on this. If something was loaded improperly and caused damage, call your insurance company. They surely have dealt with this and will tell you what you can do.

26 minutes ago, canopy said:

If the workers don't know how to safely tie things down, they obviously shouldn't be doing it. But unfortunately this is a hit or miss area in Thailand. I don't know what the liability law is and apparently nor does anyone so far. However, it is quite unreasonable to require every joe and grandma to watch the workers, tell them what they did isn't going to work, and educate them on how to do it securely.

Some stores stamp your receipt on the way out. They need a quality guy to do the same for assuring goods were loaded securely. Of course, nothing will happen as long as we all continue to just ignore the bad jobs and move on.

For now anyone loading up on a regular basis should spend some time learning knots and proper ways of securing things. Plenty on the internet on this. If something was loaded improperly and caused damage, call your insurance company. They surely have dealt with this and will tell you what you can do.

Sorry but your comments are incorrect, driver is responsible for safety of the load on his vehicle, and any insurance company will tell you that.

Several years ago i was driving my own truck, it had been loaded with reinforcing mesh.

The load had been secured by staff at the steel works ( DRIVERS NOT ALLOWED OUT OF CAB)

I drove away, load shifted damaged a parked car, police involved.

I was charged/ fined for having an insecure load.

Insurance company involved, lawyer involved.

I said not my fault, workers at steel works secured the load, it is your fault you should have checked, you were the driver.

Police/lawyer/insurance company all said the same.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Invest in a couple of ratchet straps rather than relying on the good-old red string.

Yup, I got some nice 1" ones from HomePro (IIRC) ages ago. Rubber mat under the load and secure with the straps.

That said, after 10 years I do have a few dings in the cab roof, far too late to worry about it now.

imo your both right lol. ultimately i was, responsible for driving with an unsecured load. But they, were responsible for not securing it properly , which is a service they provide.
they have people for it and a QA guy who checks it. but those, 3 were all busy...
Having shopped there for 18 years and having build, 2 houses and a farm with their materials, i figured they knew what they were doing. they are professionals,not me.
And I certainly didnt expect them to even refuse to look at the damage and becomming aggressive.

8 hours ago, revar said:

imo your both right lol. ultimately i was, responsible for driving with an unsecured load. But they, were responsible for not securing it properly , which is a service they provide.
they have people for it and a QA guy who checks it. but those, 3 were all busy...
Having shopped there for 18 years and having build, 2 houses and a farm with their materials, i figured they knew what they were doing. they are professionals,not me.
And I certainly didnt expect them to even refuse to look at the damage and becomming aggressive.

As a driver of a vehicle you are responsible for ensuring any load is safe and secured, just like you are responsible for the safety of your passengers.

There is a saying "Assumption is the mother of all F*#* ups". You assumed the load was safe, when what you should have done was check it was secure before driving away....

Many people have died, globally, because somebody assumed something was safe. ....

There was a court case in the UK 2 years ago where a man died after going into an autoclave to clean it out between operations.. Whilst he was inside nobody checked it was safe to operate,  they just assumed it was safe, shut the door on him and started a heating cycle. The company pleaded guilty in a court case because they admitted they failed to ensure the safety of it's employees.... they did not have a procedure for ensuring the autoclave was safe for somebody to work inside by making sure the door couldn't be closed with some one inside.