Kasikorn Bank yearly fee?

I've had a savings deposit account with Kasikorn for many years and always benefited from the small rate of interest they pay twice yearly.  As I live overseas, I rarely use the a/c, unless I am back in Thailand on a yearly visit. Last time I was back a month or so ago, when I updated my passbook I noticed that there was a 200 B commission fee charged at the start of 2017. Does anyone know if this is a new annual charge for all users, or perhaps because the a/c was inactive for over 12 months? Not much, but would be good to learn if standard bank charges have changed over the last year and whether this applies to all banks, or just Kasikorn? :sad:

I have a savings account with an ATM card with KBank got asked for ฿800 (yearly charge I think) before I could get a Bank statement just using my ATM card.

Only have ฿325 in that account at present (most monies in Bangkok Bank).

Decided when I got home to cut up card.

I have a 200 baht fee, thought it was the yearly fee but checked back and 3 months ago had a fee for 200 baht and one for 300 baht. Typical banks chipping away at your savings like vultures. I will be very glad when they are all replaced with crypto currencies.

Den

38 minutes ago, petertucker48 said:

I have a savings account with an ATM card with KBank got asked for ฿800 (yearly charge I think) before I could get a Bank statement just using my ATM card.

Only have ฿325 in that account at present (most monies in Bangkok Bank).

Decided when I got home to cut up card.

Same same, Kasikorn deducted Bht 800 from my account for a replace entdebit card ( never issued) then reidentified as annual fee on being questioned.

stupid wife then signed up for an alternate new card for just Bht 650.

net result I ended up paying Bht 1450 for a Bht 650 card each.......

Yearly fees vary upon services/type of card.

E.g. SMS alert cost extra.

KBank is quite expensive for me (incl. internet banking, SMS alert, virtual credit card for web payment).

Last deduction was 780.

A friend pays 500.

Yes, if these fees matter to you, be careful with the type of debit/ATM card the K-bank rep fosters on you when you first open an account; unless you specifically ask for the basic ATM card, they will give you some fancy "Business" or "VIP" card which is basically useless for everyday transactions, but for which the annual fees are much higher.

It's all about the commissions.

29 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yearly fees vary upon services/type of card.

E.g. SMS alert cost extra.

KBank is quite expensive for me (incl. internet banking, SMS alert, virtual credit card for web payment).

Last deduction was 780.

A friend pays 500.

Some Thai banks also now have an inactivity fee.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Some Thai banks also now have an inactivity fee.

K-bank's inactivity fee below.  Same as Bangkok Bank's policy.   Probably typical for most Thai banks.  

Basically if the account is inactive for more than 12 months (i.e., no account owner deposits, withdrawals, transfers) "and" the account amount is below Bt2,000, the bank will begin to charge a Maintenance/inactivity fee of Bt50/month until the account reaches zero balance---the account is then closed.  

Usually if you keep the account balance at Bt2,000 or above you will not have to worry about the account being closed/charged an inactivity fee when you don't use the account for a lengthy period....like leaving Thailand for a over a year and then coming back.  

But keep in mind though if you have a debit card which is most like going to incur at least a Bt200 annual fee for a basic card (more for premium debit cards) "and" you leave Thailand say with Bt2,100 in the account, that debit card annual fee will pull the balance below Bt2,000 and if you are gone for a while that Bt50 inactivity fee can kick in to drain the account along with the debit card annual fee.  So, if leaving the account for a few years and the account has a debit card you best leave more than Bt2,000 in the account....just take in consideration how long you will be gone, debit card annual fee, and any other charges that might drain the account into the low account balance inactivity fee region.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/rate/fee/ChargesDoc/FeeDepositRate_15022017_en.pdf

Capture.JPG.33d8f47a809bae6c9f1e540c83defe00.JPG

7 hours ago, Pib said:

The 200 baht fee sounds like the annual fee for their basic debit card.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/rate/fee/ChargesDoc/FeeService_EN_08052017.pdf

Capture.JPG.658870ffbc4022a791d6192d53ef191b.JPG

Thanks Pib and others for responses. This is almost certainly what it is, and it gets marked as a "CMN" or commission in the codes, though is actually a standard fee it seems. First year it has been charged, and just about wipes out the interest on the a/c. Still, less than what I pay for a Bank of America equivalent a/c, which is currently $5/month, and makes that a terrible deal.

Are there any Thai bank savings a/c's that don't charge an annual fee for a debit card?

50 minutes ago, plachon said:

Thanks Pib and others for responses. This is almost certainly what it is, and it gets marked as a "CMN" or commission in the codes, though is actually a standard fee it seems. First year it has been charged, and just about wipes out the interest on the a/c. Still, less than what I pay for a Bank of America equivalent a/c, which is currently $5/month, and makes that a terrible deal.

Are there any Thai bank savings a/c's that don't charge an annual fee for a debit card?

Assuming you do have their basic debit card I expect the Bt200 charge was the annual fee.   As to what codes Thai banks use in the passbook to reflect a fee/charge varies from bank to bank.   I looked at a couple of my bank account passbooks with different banks and notice the Bangkok Bank passbook code for the debit card annual fee is "ATM" and the KrungThai Bank passbook code for annaul   fee is "SWATM."

Now when I look at my "ibanking" where passbook codes night not be reflected but descriptions are used instead, for the debit card annual charge the Bangkok Bank description is very clear in saying "ATM/Debit Card Annual Fee" but doesn't reflect the passbook code....instead it reflects a channel code.   However,  In my Krungthai Bank ibanking it does reflect the passbook code of SWATM and also includes the description of "ATM Annual Fee."     Each bank will be different in how they reflect a fee/charge on the passbook and ibanking.  

I'm no longer really up on what Thai banks offer free ATM/debit cards.  But apparently TMB still has a free card in their menu of available cards...see this webpage.  https://www.tmbbank.com/cards/atm-debit-cards/tmb-all-free.html

But the savings from that approx Bt200 annual fee may be offset in a lower saving account interest rate in comparison to other banks.   Banksters....give you good deal in one hand but pick your pocket with their other hand.

All I can say about the Bank of America monthly fee is switch to one of their accounts which doesn't charge the fee if you do a monthly direct deposit, maintain a certain minimum balance, and maybe better yet just change banks.  I use to be with BoA for many years but didn't have the monthly maintenance fee....BoA products/services are generally fine if living in the U.S. for basic banking/transaction, but their foreign transaction fee and their overall fee structure makes them one of the most fee-evil banks.   

The banks charge for this like they

Are providing a servicert or doing us a favor with these debit cards

I know some one who worked on one of the first systems to use debit cards

At an ATM

The reason the banks paid this development team a large sum of money and invested in the hardware

(ATM MACHINES ETC)

was so that when people got used to this idea they wold be able to lay off thousands of employees as

The demand for counter service would drop dramatically

Again  the banks helping themselves and conning their customers into thinking they did it for them

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Last deduction was 780. A friend pays 500.

You should change to their standard ATM/Debit card if you don't need your "extra but more expensive" card.

With the Standard Card, KBank is 200 baht only per year, :smile:

and yes it includes Internet banking, SMS alerts, K-Web virtual card, ...

On 09/07/2017 at 11:28 AM, GreasyFingers said:

If you can follow the Kasikorn fees good luck to you. On one accout the charge this year was 250, on the other account the fee was 504 last year but nothing this year.

Aha, that's called the (EGFA)  exponentially growing fee account... 

It will be billed 1008thb this year and 2016thb and then 4032thb the year after that... 

Created to stimulate the economy and promote consumer spending... :smile:

Archived