Buddhists Observe Major Religious Holidays Across Kingdom

rooster59

Buddhists Observe Major Religious Holidays Across Kingdom

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

แห่เทียนพรรษา-696x464.jpg

Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Thailand observed Saturday the beginning of Buddhist Lent, with alms giving and parades taking place across the kingdom.

In Surin province, monks rode on the back of elephants along with mahouts as Buddhists laymen offered alms early in the morning in a colorful and rare pageantry. Bordering provinces such as Tak saw residents and migrant workers from Myanmar making merits.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2017/07/08/buddhists-observe-major-religious-holidays-across-kingdom/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-09

Where to begin? Is Buddhism even a religion? Why would they have a lent? Most of the so called Buddhists in Thailand follow a hodge podge cocktail of Buddhism, Animism and ghost movies from what I've seen and follow zero to none of the precepts of Buddhism . To top it off some of the leaders of Buddhism in Thailand are the most corrupt, hypocritical, dishonest, perverted bastards outside of the Catholic Church which takes the cake by quite a distance. Taking a few eggs or a pigs head up the local wat to ask for lucky lottery numbers is hardly bloody Buddhism IMO.

Edited by starky

9 hours ago, starky said:

Where to begin? Is Buddhism even a religion? Why would they have a lent? Most of the so called Buddhists in Thailand follow a hodge podge cocktail of Buddhism, Animism and ghost movies from what I've seen and follow zero to none of the precepts of Buddhism . To top it off some of the leaders of Buddhism in Thailand are the most corrupt, hypocritical, dishonest, perverted bastards outside of the Catholic Church which takes the cake by quite a distance. Taking a few eggs or a pigs head up the local wat to ask for lucky lottery numbers is hardly bloody Buddhism IMO.

To call it Lent is a Western affectation- it's a very ancient custom where monks remain within their compounds during the rainy season. 

Whilst I totally agree with you on the aspects of corruption- many Thai people do follow their mixture of religion- animism, Hindu, Chinese gods etc. 

The bf ( who rarely wakes up before midday! ) was off with his friends yesterday and today at 5.30am to the temple. 

I think if you come to live in the Kingdom- you accept the right of the local population to believe in what ever they wish- the quirky things you see just adds to the adventure of living here. So calm down. 

For those that wish to criticize, have you ever considered Thailand...

as a Catholic country (oh! The guilt!) ...

as a Muslim country ...

I certainly prefer Thailand and the region under Buddhism, even if I prefer a different kind of Buddhism - live and let live, to each their own.

7 hours ago, peterb17 said:

To call it Lent is a Western affectation- it's a very ancient custom where monks remain within their compounds during the rainy season. 

Whilst I totally agree with you on the aspects of corruption- many Thai people do follow their mixture of religion- animism, Hindu, Chinese gods etc. 

The bf ( who rarely wakes up before midday! ) was off with his friends yesterday and today at 5.30am to the temple. 

I think if you come to live in the Kingdom- you accept the right of the local population to believe in what ever they wish- the quirky things you see just adds to the adventure of living here. So calm down. 

Can't help but feel people are chasing luck. 

People can believe in whatever they want. It's a personal thing. Once it's a collective, and it goes against the laws of physics, it can be detrimental. 

You don't choose the things you believe in - they choose you. Always ask questions and progress. That's what will enlighten you. 

13 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Mate I am very calm and very accepting but to say what the Thais practice is Buddhism is a bit of a farce. Having said that I never question anyones right to believe what they wish it is however well within my right as a critical thinking person to question what that belief may be. Not being religious myself I am always very curious as to the belief systems of different cultures. In no way does this questioning upset me nor make me agitated. As you yourself stated it is Buddhist, Hindu, Chinese and animist conglomeration with Western affectation so they are more than welcome to it, semantically speaking though is it buddhism?

Edited by starky