tooth implants

watgate

My dentist in the U.S  gave me the following list of tooth implants that she said would be no problem working on if the need arises in the future. The names of the  implants she gave me are: Nobel,Astra,Bio Horizons, Blue Sky Bio,Bicon and Mega Gen. Last year I went to Elite Dental Clinic next to Pantip Plaza and the receptionist there gave me a sheet which listed the 2 names of implants they use there. They are Korean ansd Swiss made and they are Osstern TSill SA and CA implant and Straumann SLA dental and active implant. My questions are if anyone knows of any other dental offices in Chiang Mai that are reputable and might have one of the 6 listed implants that my U.S dentist gave me? Also, if I can't find any reputable dentist office in Chiang Mai that uses one of the 6 listed by my U.S dentist, does anyone have any knowledge or experiences with getting an implant in Thailand and having to go see their dentist in another country because of a problem with the implant and what difficulties or problems they might have encountered with the implant while being treated in their home country?

Bangkok Hospital does implants, as does Chiangmai Ram and Grace Dental Clinic.   You might ask visit them, see if you like their facilities, and ask about the brand of implants.

I was impressed with Grace but have switched to Bangkok Hospital's dental clinic for convenience based on where I live.  I am pleased with BKK Hosp.  I have no experience with Ram.  And have never had implants.  

Here in Chiang Mai I was charged for the most expensive implant (can't remember which one but I think it was Nobel), and have heard rumours since that the particular dentist was in the habit of substituting cheap Thai made ones -- but charging for the top ones, so please understand, I cannot name the dentist except it wasn't one of the ones already mentioned in this threat. I was also irritated by that dentist trying to up-sell me on additional procedures which weren't necessary and which I resisted -- but every visit was an ordeal because of the pressure to spend more money.  Anyway, that was a couple of years ago and regardless of my concerns at the time, the implant seems fine.

Incidentally, I had my second implant done in Australia, because the Australian dentist matches the thai price, and because I can claim insurance from my Australian health fund, which I cannot in Thailand. The Australian dentist will also guarantee his work. so my second implant ended up costing me around 1/3 of my Thai implant, and I have the backing of the guarantee. 

My Australian dentist says that most problems with implants show up in the first 12 months, and he himself changes the brand of implants he uses fairly frequently. I think there are more factors in having an implant besides the brand -- I agree with the poster who says that it probably doesn't matter all that much.

Edited by dundas

• 6 months later...

Dentistry is  always a hot topic in Thailand  because  it is  so expensive to have these procedures  done in the West. The man who had to work done cheaper in Australia  sounds like  a fairy tale. My experiences have been all good   and as I have gum problems it is always a job in progress. In Australia  a root canal is around $1500   and in  Thailand  about   $250. Crowns in   Australia  around  $1500 on  Thailand  around $300. Implants  in Australia  from $4000- $6000    and in Thailand  around $2000.I must admit it is hard work  to find the Dentist  who suits your needs in  Thailand as they tend to move around retire or whatever. I prefer to have work done in Pattaya  simply because it is more relaxing to be hanging around  . My friend swears by Dental Hollywood which is opposite the  Opey De Place Hotel. I personally found him ok  but did not trust him 100% .My friends who live in  Pattaya  swear by Pro Dent  Dr. wongspat Buddachart [email protected]  I have  spoken to him  and   will be using him  in the near future.in  Bangkok  I have used  Dental Plus Clinic  1468 charoenkrung road  bangrak  near   sephan tashan   sky train but she is alway very busy  and English poor. Never replys to emails.Before I sign of all Western Dentists  tell you about poor quality  materials   and other horror  stories but from my experiences i would trust   a  snake before   a Western  Dentist.