I have a re-entry permit, but I don't need it. Can I just get a standard 30 day exemption stamp?

I recently got a 1 year Self Defense visa, but left Thailand after 1.5 months before the first extension. I got the re-entry permit before leaving Thailand.

I don't need this visa anymore as I won't be living in Thailand. But I do want to visit Thailand for 2 weeks.

My exemption stamp is valid till 27th July and I can stay till 27th July.

However, I want to enter Thailand on 25th July and just get the standard 30 day exemption stamp ("tourist visa").

I'm afraid those 2 will interfere with each other? It wouldn't be ideal but should I move my Thailand trip a few days to be after 27th July when the re-entry permit is expired?

(Entering on re-entry permit and extending is not an option - I'm not going to be in Chiang Mai where I would need to extend, but rather on the islands).

I have no idea what a "1 year Self Defense visa" actually is and I doubt such a visa exists. 

If you have a reentry permit the IO is likely to use it although you could ask for it not to be used in favour of a visa exempt entry.

Delaying your trip by a few days would effectively solve any potential problem.

When entering in the situation you describe (reentry for short period of, in your case, a Non Ed entry) the immigration official will commonly give you the option of using the reentry permit (which you might want if planning to apply for an extension) or a visa exempt entry. In the place on the entry form where it asks for visa number, I suggest you write in visa exempt to make your intentions clear in case of language problems.

8 hours ago, perthperson said:

I have no idea what a "1 year Self Defense visa" actually is and I doubt such a visa exists. 

If you have a reentry permit the IO is likely to use it although you could ask for it not to be used in favour of a visa exempt entry.

Delaying your trip by a few days would effectively solve any potential problem.

The OP signed up for the Self-Defense course in Chaing Mai, he received a single entry Non-Ed visa. This course is popular because the hours needed per week are less than if learning Thai.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, perthperson said:

\

Got to love Thaivisa for comments like this when the answer is simply a quick Google search away, let alone the search box here on Thaivisa itself. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Got to love Thaivisa for comments like this when the answer is simply a quick Google search away, let alone the search box here on Thaivisa itself. 

Sounds the same as: Got the love Thaivisa for questions like this when the answer is simply a quick Google search away, let alone the search box here on Thaivisa itself. 

Stamps in passports are easily identified, just by reading your passport, but a lot of people call every stamp a visa.

Some even invent names like a jojo visa, after some questions it came out to be an Multiple Re-Entry Permit.

It makes it many times hard to give a proper advice directly

Edited by Khun Robert
typo

5 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

The OP signed up for the Self-Defense course in Chaing Mai, he received a single entry Non-Ed visa. This course is popular because the hours needed per week are less than if learning Thai.

Also, because the people who run the school are ex-military / connected, so students are purported to receive no hassle-extensions.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:35 PM, BritTim said:

When entering in the situation you describe (reentry for short period of, in your case, a Non Ed entry) the immigration official will commonly give you the option of using the reentry permit (which you might want if planning to apply for an extension) or a visa exempt entry. In the place on the entry form where it asks for visa number, I suggest you write in visa exempt to make your intentions clear in case of language problems.

I always knew I could get nearly an extra year from my O--A visa by utilizing a well timed re-entry permit but I did not know that I could go to CW for an extension of stay after arriving on a re-entry permit (when the original visa expired long ago). Could someone please clarify this ?  I have always started over wth a new O-A visa from USA after the re-entry permit expires.

1 hour ago, Searat7 said:

I always knew I could get nearly an extra year from my O--A visa by utilizing a well timed re-entry permit but I did not know that I could go to CW for an extension of stay after arriving on a re-entry permit (when the original visa expired long ago). Could someone please clarify this ?  I have always started over wth a new O-A visa from USA after the re-entry permit expires.

A re-entry permit would not give you any extra time, it merely allows your stay to continue to the previous permitted until date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Searat7 said:

You would apply for a 1 year extension of your last one year entry of your OA visa. You would not be extending your visa.

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65K baht income.

6 hours ago, Searat7 said:

As long as your reentry permit was to protect a non immigrant entry, you can apply for an extension of that non immigrant entry. In fact, you should ignore the reentry permit, and just consider the entry it protected. @ubonjoe has given the basic requirements you must satisfy to be granted a one-year extension of stay of your non immigrant entry.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

As long as your reentry permit was to protect a non immigrant entry, you can apply for an extension of that non immigrant entry. In fact, you should ignore the reentry permit, and just consider the entry it protected. @ubonjoe has given the basic requirements you must satisfy to be granted a one-year extension of stay of your non immigrant entry.

The OP is talking about a Non-OA, which is a multiple entry visa, so while the visa is before the enter before date, the re-entry permit point is totally pointless.

6 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

The OP is talking about a Non-OA, which is a multiple entry visa, so while the visa is before the enter before date, the re-entry permit point is totally pointless.

I think you missed this:

20 hours ago, Searat7 said:

I always knew I could get nearly an extra year from my O--A visa by utilizing a well timed re-entry permit but I did not know that I could go to CW for an extension of stay after arriving on a re-entry permit (when the original visa expired long ago). Could someone please clarify this ?

You are correct that no reentry permit (or obviously extension) is required during the validity period of the visa, but one is certainly required for the permission to stay you have after expiry of the visa.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

I think you missed this:

On 7/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, Searat7 said:

I always knew I could get nearly an extra year from my O--A visa by utilizing a well timed re-entry permit but I did not know that I could go to CW for an extension of stay after arriving on a re-entry permit (when the original visa expired long ago). Could someone please clarify this ?

You are correct that no reentry permit (or obviously extension) is required during the validity period of the visa, but one is certainly required for the permission to stay you have after expiry of the visa.

The post of Searat7 was gibberish and made no sense, I was not, (because I could not), referring to it.   :-)