Water (Hose) Bibs

Gumballl

Sorry, I hail from the greatest (highly debatable) country on Earth... the USA.  Here our hose bibs (no, not the Thai BIB) connectors measure 3/4" (aka Garden Hose Thread size).  From my time/experience in Thailand, the size of the hose connectors I have seen (in Issan)  are are about half if not less than this size.

I understand the Bernoulli principles of force/pressure, but why is it that in Thailand, the bibs are so tiny?  Is it a cost-saving measure?  Is it a principle of take whatever pressure there is from the street, and increase it from there?  Or is this a European standard?  Sorry, I have not lived in Europe since a kid, and that was back in the 70's.

I would like to bring a rotating sprinkler (for example this) but I'm not confident it would work well in Thailand... or perhaps I'm just thinking of my wifey's house.

Any (intelligent) thoughts?

P.S.  I've had a few non-water drinkies... please forgive the grammar.

If the "greatest" joined the real world "bibs" can be found in  Metric sizes 

HOSE UNION BIB TAP LOCKSHIELD VALVE

Exactly what can be found in Thailand is something for you to research.

Mains water supplies in Thailand tend to offer low to no pressure which is why most people rely on water storage tanks and a pump for their domestic water supply.

There are lots of rotating sprinklers here and 3/4 ball valves with garden hose connectors.  Similar to this. 

315-butterfly-ball-valve-800x800.jpg

You simply have to cast your net a bit further.

Green garden hose is green garden hose!

PS The greatest country on Earth is a bit north of where you live or used to live! ;-)

17 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

There are lots of rotating sprinklers here and 3/4 ball valves with garden hose connectors.  Similar to this. 

315-butterfly-ball-valve-800x800.jpg

You simply have to cast your net a bit further.

Green garden hose is green garden hose!

PS The greatest country on Earth is a bit north of where you live or used to live! ;-)

You mean East (across the Atlantic) :-)

3/4" bibs in HomePro.

Wifey's garden hose is a 1" tube. Hose bibs are 1" ball valves with 1" hose connectors (so a DIY bib). Ball valves and hose connectors are available as big as you like, try your local farm shop.

Thanks for the info.  I'll be shopping early next week (most likely at DoHome) to see if I can find something useful.  It would be awesome to replace the thin PVC pipes that were installed alongside the perimeter of my wife's house.  Years ago we had to depend on an iffy water pressure, but now that we have city water, pressure is no longer an issue (well, at least I hope not).

4 hours ago, Gumballl said:

It would be awesome to replace the thin PVC pipes that were installed alongside the perimeter of my wife's house.

Paint them if you haven't already. Sunlight is the biggest enemy of blue plastic pipe, not high water pressure!

Maybe worth noting the hose bibs commonly sold here are not full bore. It means if you open the valve and look inside you will see a further reduction in diameter where the valve closes.

Another curiosity regarding an original link is that home depot is blocked in Thailand.

5 hours ago, canopy said:

Another curiosity regarding an original link is that home depot is blocked in Thailand.

Yeah, for some reason HomeDepot don't want those in Thailand looking at their products.

Archived