WIN10 Won't install Canon Printer

Daffy D

Hi All

Have done extensive Googling and tried just about everything but nothing has worked so far.

Acording to Canon Web Page the iP2770 is compatable with Win10 64bit so should be no problem.

Running the Canon driver install gives the message:

59636c176b261_PrinterDriverError!.JPG.1622166813d60ff69285dd25b77caf47.JPG

Updating from Windows update giver this error:-

WindowsUpdate.jpg.f27936b20b6a9c7e69e66ad9601a2404.jpg

Don't know what that "registry key marked for deletion" is all about, Have done several registry clean-ups so there should be nothing iligal in there.

Don't know if its relevant, but selecting a driver shows 3 iP2770 printers when there should only be one.

5963769e8f6f9_SelectaDriver.jpg.83354934fea62ecbd9660249ae596f6c.jpg

The strange thing is that Windows recognizes the printer and it works just fine,

BUT can't get the Canon driver installed so don't have the extra utilities that come with a Canon install, print head cleaner and the like also Canon Easy-Photo printer won't work because "no printer is recognized" 

Microsoft Trouble Shooter "couldn't identify a problem"

Tried "Driver Booster" and that failed to install a Canon driver update.

Have installed Canon scanner with no problem so have run out of ideas what the problem with the printer might be.

Any positive ideas and suggestions would be most welcome. :smile:

Edited by Daffy D

If you have installed with the CD that came with the printer, you could try deleting the printer from your machine and reinstalling with the drivers from this link:

http://support-id.canon-asia.com/contents/ID/EN/0100460201.html 

Note: these drivers are from 2015 and are for W10 (64 bit).

To remove the printer, go to Control Panel\Devices and Printers, right-click on the printer you want to remove and click on Remove Device. Try reinstalling with the driver from the above link.

When I have issues with Windows 10 drivers, I always go the the manufacturer website and download the latest. 

If Win10 drivers are not available, I'll try Win8.1 versions.

Also suggest you create an 'image' of your Win10 install before applying. I've had issues with some installers making a right mess of things, and having an recoverable drive 'image' helped when a remove program or 'restore' didn't accomplish what I wanted.

If you have ongoing issues, try adding the word 'forum' to your searches and see if there are any sane/helpful remarks being made.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I did start with the latest driver from the Canon WebSite, but when that did not work tried various other ways of getting a driver to install, including using Windows update and Drive Booster update but nothing would get the Canon driver to install.

In between each attempt I deleted the driver, used CCleaner to clear the registry and performed a restart. So as you can imagine it took some time.

According to Canon the latest driver V2.56a is compatible with all versions of windows from XP to Win10 64bit, and it works just fine on my Win7.

Have not tried adding the "Forum" to searches, will give it a go and see what turns up. I can't yet again be the only one having this particular problem

Cheers  :smile:

Maybe Mr. Murphy  is a distant ancestor of mine that I am not aware of  :shock1:

I have a top model HP printer 18 months old.   It can't use Windows10.  

The printer was 2 years old in the rest of the world but "New !" in Thailand.

I have Win 7 but there are issues with printing on a new version of Win 7 as against the older version of Win 7.

HP engineers spent hours trying to sort it out and said nothing can be done, so I have 2 versions of Win 7.

The problem is with page margins when printing.

Good luck getting your Cannon sorted.

The strange thing is my printer does work with the basic Windows driver.

This is OK but the Canon install has additional features like print head cleaner and various settings not available on the Windows driver. I also like to use the Canon EasyPrint for printing out photos, but this won't work as without the Canon install it can't find a driver :sad:

Did some Googling today but all the problems are related to driver not working or not installing which is not exactly my problem, anyway found some more things to try through various forums so will have another go later.

Oh! More Joy  :whistling:

14 hours ago, Daffy D said:

The strange thing is my printer does work with the basic Windows driver.

This is OK but the Canon install has additional features like print head cleaner and various settings not available on the Windows driver. I also like to use the Canon EasyPrint for printing out photos, but this won't work as without the Canon install it can't find a driver :sad:

Did some Googling today but all the problems are related to driver not working or not installing which is not exactly my problem, anyway found some more things to try through various forums so will have another go later.

Oh! More Joy  :whistling:

How old is the printer, is it still in warranty ?

A silly question I know but in an earlier post of yours you say "According to Cannon the latest driver is compatible", did it state on the box the printer came in that it was suitable for Win 10 ?    I am sure you are aware that the same product sold in e.g. UK or US may differ to the one in Thailand.

If you have no joy, especially if a basic feature i.e. Print Head Cleaner doesn't work ( did it work with original installation CD ? ) then I would try as RichCor ( earlier post ) said, uninstall and start again.

The printer is not very old and works just fine.

It DOES work in Win10 with the Windows driver, but it seems impossible to install the CANON driver which gives those extra Canon features.

Have spent more hours Googling and seems others get the same Error codes for various reasons but have not come across anyone yet who has exactly the same problem as me.

Tried installing in safe mode but got hung up on "Print Spooler" seems that does not load in safe mode :sad:

A couple of other things to try, create a new account and install the driver from that and try in "Clean Boot"  

Will have another go later  -  Oh! Much Joy :whistling:

This is a shot in the dark:

Does the Canon driver install from an .exe file?  If so, right click on the .exe file > Properties > Compatibility tab > select the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose Windows 7 (if that's where it installed correctly.)  Just for kicks, reboot and try to install the driver again.  This procedure shouldn't make any difference in the world, but I've found it has helped me with other recalcitrant .exe files in the past.

FWIW, I have a Canon iP7270 printer and its driver installed properly in Windows 10 on each of three computers.

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

select the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose Windows 7

This ...or Run as Administrator. My two go-to tricks.

Again, I recommend doing a full image of the OS before experimenting. Usually never run into issues -but- just recently ran into an issue program that needed to be reinstalled (preserving app profile and preference settings) but it refused to overwrite -any- previous files when installing normally, so I did a 'Run as Administrator' to see if it needed 'permissions' and that resulted in everything in the target directory being deleted ...and nothing being written.  I hate weekend programmers. 

OOh! Joy   Joy   much  Joy :intheclub:  :intheclub:

Cracked it  :smile:

Tried the clean boot but that didn't work was getting desperate now and thought maybe a fresh repair install might do the trick.

As a last resort did a printer reset by holding down the yellow button for 15sec. and then as a long shot to uninstall and delete everything with the name Canon I could find.

That did it :clap2: Not sure if it was the printer reset or banishing the name Canon but whatever it worked.

Joy  Joy  :guitar:

Thank you all for your help and suggestions  :thumbsup:

On 7/11/2017 at 3:08 PM, Speedo1968 said:

I have a top model HP printer 18 months old.   It can't use Windows10.  

The printer was 2 years old in the rest of the world but "New !" in Thailand.

I have Win 7 but there are issues with printing on a new version of Win 7 as against the older version of Win 7.

HP engineers spent hours trying to sort it out and said nothing can be done, so I have 2 versions of Win 7.

The problem is with page margins when printing.

Good luck getting your Cannon sorted.

Did you perhaps use US software?  It might be hard set for letter size paper rather than the A4 size most of the world uses.  I always download software from Malaysia or Singapore to avoid such issues (still in English but can set to international sizes as well as US).

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did you perhaps use US software?  It might be hard set for letter size paper rather than the A4 size most of the world uses.  I always download software from Malaysia or Singapore to avoid such issues (still in English but can set to international sizes as well as US).

Thanks "lopburi3", hadn't thought of that.

I used the CD that came with the printer.

My previous HP printer lasted 10 years without one single problem, until I stupidly used a refill for the first time on an empty cartridge !

I tried an Epsom but the spindle packed up within 3 months, a replacement doing the same thing; hence trying HP again, the write ups from UK and elsewhere being good.

Will check the CD to see where it was made.