"Loveable" Western tourists get 70% discount for cleaning up the beach!

webfact

1 hour ago, smew said:

Thais are lazy, simple, they don't even see the problem, always want someone else to do the work

Said the man who spent his career in a country where even a minimum wage, crap job pays 5-10x the average laborer's salary in Thailand.  If I can sit on my butt for nothing, or work real hard for $1 an hour, people are going to see one lazy bastard sitting in my chair. 

Edit:  And while you're bashing, take a look at a Euro heat stress chart and see how many hours a day one of those Euro or N American super workers is recommended to work under the conditions of temperature and humidity found here in Thailand.  It isn't many.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Someone's gotta post the pic's to the Thai social media.

I learned long ago in China that the locals love to watch foreigners doing manual labor.  Mostly because we do it so wrong...that we're fun to watch.

How do you pick up trash wrong?  

11 minutes ago, wealthychef said:
3 hours ago, impulse said:

Someone's gotta post the pic's to the Thai social media.

I learned long ago in China that the locals love to watch foreigners doing manual labor.  Mostly because we do it so wrong...that we're fun to watch.

How do you pick up trash wrong?  

All kidding aside, every calling has people who have been doing it for years, who have learned through experience the most efficient way of doing it.  Even picking up trash.  Anybody with years of experience that watches me picking up trash is going to find faults with my technique.  I don't care, but it's their livelihood and they're proud of their abilities.  And they're amused that someone who gets an American salary can't do it as efficiently as they can.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Why is it always tourists cleaning up Thailand?

Not always – may be depending of where you live – where I live it's the locals, and if the monsoon has been heavy and washed a lot of debris to the beaches, the Village Headmen will call for volunteers in the village, and they will be happy to help a day or two with cleaning the beach, so it look nice when tourists arrives in peak-season, after the monsoon. Long term resident foreigners also helps, if they feel part of the community, but during the more than 10-years I've been living here by the beach, I've never seen tourists cleaning, they just enjoy their vacation...:smile:

010)wDSC09463_maenam-beach_01-04-2011.jpg.a749f0ad0bafddd3a170db60a60c9851.jpg

Locals clean the beach after a monsoon storm...

011)wDSC09527_beach-cleaning.jpg.ccc2ab62336139132a4a408a2dd1c5ae.jpg

A long-term resident blond lady gladly help Head-of-Village's volunteers cleaning the beach in front of her small bungalow resort...

wIMG_6923_if-there-were-fewer-people.jpg.4c6c1dc635202b81c94aa873ac7a9973.jpg

What the beach looks like, when ready for peak-season tourists to arrive, so they don't need to think about cleaning, but can just enjoy their holiday...

Looks like this is on Kho Phayam. Been a few times, and some of the resort (meaning smaller ones) owners did pay Burmese kids for collecting garbage along the beach. Was quite a showing, especially after storms. Seemed to work out fine as the beach was mostly clean during high season. Off season, though, less of an effort, and the beach in general got a somewhat deserted look. 

My elder son worked as deputy GM for a 5*-hotel in Koh Samui. He tried to teach his staff to clean the beach especially from sharp things, like metal and glass parts. Remind: (children of) guests walking over the beach with chance to get their feet hurt... IMPOSSIBLE to bring over to the Thais to clean the beach. Everything what is over an arm's length.. nobody cares for... Better sit on chicken's way and think over the incarnation...

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

Looks like this is on Kho Phayam. Been a few times, and some of the resort (meaning smaller ones) owners did pay Burmese kids for collecting garbage along the beach. Was quite a showing, especially after storms. Seemed to work out fine as the beach was mostly clean during high season. Off season, though, less of an effort, and the beach in general got a somewhat deserted look. 

If you are commenting my photos above, it's not; they are from Maenam Beach on Koh Samui, and all cleaners are locals, both Chinese and Thais – and a Swedish lady and me (not in photo, I'm behind the camera) – however cannot say if some of the beach cleaners in the very back on the first photo are Burmese workers from a 5-star resort, those in the front on that photo I all know, and they are local Thais...

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

If you are commenting my photos above, it's not; they are from Maenam Beach on Koh Samui, and all cleaners are locals, both Chinese and Thais – and a Swedish lady and me (not in photo, I'm behind the camera) – however cannot say if some of the beach cleaners in the very back on the first photo are Burmese workers from a 5-star resort, those in the front on that photo I all know, and they are local Thais...

Was commenting on the OP.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

tourists mai kiki et? not as lazy as thai?

/

5 hours ago, everett kendall said:

Did they have Work Permits?

Falang Volunteers after the tidal wave couldn' t help because they didnt hsve them.

Wasn't true in Krabi where I was. All volunteers were welcomed with open arms. (And it was a tsunami, not a tidal wave ??.)

Is it 70% discount on the bags they are purchasing to clean the beaches up?

I dont think this is a "good news" story as it just shows Thai's as lazy incompetent people that need tourists on vacation to do what management know, needs doing, but too lazy to get it done.

They could have paid some locals to do it for less than the discount they offered the tourists....

shtoopid!

Perhaps instead of the usual Thai bashing about rubbish dumping ....:bah:

Brits and Europeans should look in their own back yards.... Broadcast almost daily on Skynews.... two whales dead from swallowing plastic (that have been found) tons of plastic and other rubbish around... all coastal areas and did not come Thailand,,,:1zgarz5:

https://skyoceanrescue.com/plastic-challenge/

7 hours ago, Lupatria said:

After reading the headline I thought the 70% discount refers to the fine for working without a permit.

or the price of the trash bags .....

7 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Because thais love their country so much " they trash it " in other asian countries long before thailand boom start 80s, if you did not clean up beach every morning and night as you were packing your beach shop up + massage etc, and deck chairs umby's etc , you got a warning 3 rd time you lost your spot to whoever was next inplace " Bali kuta beach 70s.  

I was in Bali two years ago. Some of their beaches made Thailand's look nice.

4 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Perhaps instead of the usual Thai bashing about rubbish dumping ....:bah:

Brits and Europeans should look in their own back yards.... Broadcast almost daily on Skynews.... two whales dead from swallowing plastic (that have been found) tons of plastic and other rubbish around... all coastal areas and did not come Thailand,,,:1zgarz5:

https://skyoceanrescue.com/plastic-challenge/

Obviously waste is a problem all around the world but you cant defend Thailand for its waste management. 

Beaches all over Europe are 10x cleaner than here.

Your argument is a joke. Walk around a european city or countryside and compare it to Thailand...you cant!

Edited by Mooner

13 hours ago, Thechook said:

....can it have something to do with that a lot thais are busy cleaning away the welth from the farangs...??...;)

Edited by ttrd

In my country local authorities and schools together arrange for huge numbers of students to clean places during school holidays. The students don't get paid but they gladly spend a day or two clearing rubbish during every long school holiday. They have fun whilst doing it and it makes a tremendous difference! It is for a good cause and costs nothing.   

8 hours ago, Mooner said:

Obviously waste is a problem all around the world but you cant defend Thailand for its waste management. 

Beaches all over Europe are 10x cleaner than here.

Your argument is a joke. Walk around a european city or countryside and compare it to Thailand...you cant!

Obviously you've not seen any of the video clips.... to see how much garbage there is around Europe.... :omfg::coffee1:

or the lady's B and B in Scotland that people won't come too anymore because of the crap on the lake front, washed up...

That's ok keep your head in the sand. ..just blame Thais.

17 hours ago, mikiea said:

or the price of the trash bags .....

Lost your glasses?

They needed sacks because there was so much trash that had been tossed in the sea and washed up ashore.

The management were so happy they gave them 70% off,

I was down by Rayong beach last week and it was clean. Same as the last time I was there. I have seen buses come in with school children that are let loose to clean. Good for who ever has started this program. Teaches thais about being responsible for the environment. Hope this spreads to other areas in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

I was down by Rayong beach last week and it was clean. Same as the last time I was there. I have seen buses come in with school children that are let loose to clean. Good for who ever has started this program. Teaches thais about being responsible for the environment. Hope this spreads to other areas in Thailand. 

Teaches Thais what Westerners already know: do whatever you want; someone else will come in behind you and clean up your mess.  Or, if you are one of the people who actually cares-- you will spend your life cleaning up other peoples' messes.

4 hours ago, Katia said:

Teaches Thais what Westerners already know: do whatever you want; someone else will come in behind you and clean up your mess.  Or, if you are one of the people who actually cares-- you will spend your life cleaning up other peoples' messes.

Sadly true my friend.

cynical probably ,true definitely.