Three More Bombs Explode At Central World, Pratunam, Khao Sarn Road

george

wait and see club doesnt take much to change people travel plans

one of Thailand main appeal always as been its a safe place to go

now that its all over CNN and the likes.. damage is done gee people phoning me from Canada to find out what the hel_l going on but obviously this isnt 9 11 or 3 11 for that matter will just keep the army in power , last thing this place needs really generals always make awfull political leaders as Thailand's not so far past show

I guess i saw it coming I am moving with my wife and boys back to the iceberg anyway sorry Mr general but my boys will not be yours to use

Thailand will never been the same regardless who did it

be ready to see starving tourist joint all winter

Well, it's still a low intensity violence, especially by nowadays standards...

Not enough to break the government or push the tourists away.

However, I agree, there is the "novelty" factor (attacks in Bangkok). Even thought we have had previously some grenade attacks in Bangkok, and the real-fake car bombing attempt against Thaksin.

Anyway 2 strategies are possible :

-al quaida style : hundreds of deads (Bali, Madrid etc.), massive emotion with massive media coverage

-or a long term local campain of fear, with many small attacks like tonight

Obviously, the rebels in the south work with the second (bombs and murders). And the results are there : slowly but surely, they are pushing away thais boudhists. And when the south provinces will be 100 % muslim, then... well... you know.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is not good news but if one looks at the big picture these guys were very un organised as the bombs were only small and did minimal damage.

killed a few people but nothing on the scale of bali or other bombing sites.

just think how easy it would be to destroy thailands tourist industry by 2 well placed and powerful bombs.

you place one in the middle of koh san road and the other at nana plaza.

the death toll would be massive and the impact immediate.

i was around koh san rd last christmas and new years eve.

i sent emails to my friends before hand saying that the koh san was a perfect target.

i stayed off the koh san that night because of those thoughts.

hope they catch the bad boys.

Too far away and to different from the southern insurgence, to primitive for Al-Quaida, and to different from Thaksin.

So who's left to blame, yeah you got it. Sad news, why will i'm not supprised if all opponents to the coup will be arrested very soon even if the evidence is as weak as for Saddam. Goverments like: If you are not with us you are with them.

Maybe even no elections in the next year?

This stinks.

Too far away and to different from the southern insurgence, to primitive for Al-Quaida, and to different from Thaksin.

So who's left to blame, yeah you got it. Sad news, why will i'm not supprised if all opponents to the coup will be arrested very soon even if the evidence is as weak as for Saddam. Goverments like: If you are not with us you are with them.

Maybe even no elections in the next year?

This stinks.

They actually knew of 30 planned bombings but not where and when. Surayud was on standby in his office which makes your assumption look pretty idiotic. Surayud doesn't want to be PM unlike Toxin who did everything to become PM.

So many booms were set off in the city. The Intelligences did not detect anythings going on days ago? How come? Thanks God casualties was little.

See above. They defused a few devices but there might still be some around.

Edited by dwwin

From Intl Herald Tribune 31/12/06

BANGKOK, Thailand: A series of coordinated bomb attacks stunned the Thai capital as it prepared to ring in 2007, killing two people and canceling festivities for thousands of revelers. Investigators spent New Year's Day trying to determine who was behind the attack.

The nine bombs that exploded across Bangkok on New Year's Eve and early Monday also wounded 34 people — at least six of them foreigners.

The bombings capped a year of unrest in Thailand, including a military coup three months ago and an increasingly violent Muslim insurgency in the south.

There was no claim of responsibility. National deputy police chief Gen. Ajirawit Suphanaphesat said Muslim separatist insurgents were probably not behind the attacks.

The foreigners known hurt were two Serbians, two Britons, a Hungarian and a U.S. citizen, said Suchila La-oan, a staff member of the Police General Hospital, where they were sent.

The bombings triggered a major security lockdown in the Thai capital, but no chaos. An investigation has been launched.

The three bombs that exploded just after midnight Monday were in a phone booth, a hotel, and near a canal bridge in a downtown area thick with heavily touristed hotels and shopping malls.

They went off near the planned venue for Bangkok's main New Year countdown party, canceled hours earlier after the six initial blasts throughout the city.

"Due to several bomb explosions in Bangkok and for the sake of peace and "Due to several bomb explosions in Bangkok and for the sake of peace and security, I would ask all of you to return to your homes now," Bangkok Mayor Apirak Kosayothin had told some 5,000 revelers at the downtown Central World Plaza shopping mall. The crowd dispersed quickly but calmly.

Hotels stepped up security, searching cars and canceling expensive New Year's Eve dinners.

"I heard a loud explosion and I thought it was fireworks. I ran there and saw a bleeding woman at the bus stop," said Somrak Manphothong, a receptionist at the Saxophone bar along a busy traffic circle near the Victory Monument, the scene of one bombing.

"Another guy was lying on the floor, covered with blood, and his wife was shaking his body," Somrak said.

At another site near a vegetable market in the Klong Toey slum, a pool of blood and egg yolks covered the roadside beside an overturned motorcycle.

The main public celebration was also called off in Thailand's northern hub city of Chiang Mai, though no incidents were reported there.

But New Year festivities continued in parts of Bangkok, with hundreds of foreign tourists still partying into the night in the famous Patpong Road red light district.

Fireworks lit up the sky at midnight in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, with many people still gathered in the streets.

Police and army troops with assault rifles guarded some entertainment venues, mass transit stations and traffic circles. Roadblocks were set up on some streets.

Several foreign embassies responded to the bombing by issuing updated travel advisories, warning that the threat of terrorism was high and advising their citizens not to travel within Bangkok and to avoid mass gatherings.

"There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days," said a travel advisory from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

The six earlier bombs wounded 14 people seriously, while the rest were treated and released from hospitals, said Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla.

The bombings came in the middle of a long holiday weekend during the peak tourist season in Bangkok, a city known for its easygoing, party-hearty spirit.

"No, I'm not scared. I'm from England. There are bomb scares all the time," said Keith Waters, who nevertheless expressed disappointment since he had been looking forward to ringing in his first New Year with his Thai wife.

The city has rarely experienced deadly bombings, although several small explosives were set off during recent political turmoil in an apparent attempt to create a sense of instability, not to cause casualties.

In September, a group of generals ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a bloodless coup, and the military installed Surayud Chulanont as interim prime minister until elections set for October 2007.

Thaksin still has widespread support, and a number of arson attacks in provincial areas have been blamed on his followers.

"There are two potential suspects: Muslim insurgents and Thaksin's residual power. I tend to think it's residual power. I suspect the previous regime," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University.

"The coup was not done right," he said. "If there had to be a coup, they had to put away Thaksin and his cronies."

"I heard a loud explosion and I thought it was fireworks. I ran there and saw a bleeding woman at the bus stop," said Somrak Manphothong, a receptionist at the Saxophone bar along a busy traffic circle near the Victory Monument, the scene of one bombing.

"Another guy was lying on the floor, covered with blood, and his wife was shaking his body," Somrak said.

At another site near a vegetable market in the Klong Toey slum, a pool of blood and egg yolks covered the roadside beside an overturned motorcycle.

The main public celebration was also called off in Thailand's northern hub city of Chiang Mai, though no incidents were reported there.

But New Year festivities continued in parts of Bangkok, with hundreds of foreign tourists still partying into the night in the famous Patpong Road red light district.

Fireworks lit up the sky at midnight in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, with many people still gathered in the streets.

Police and army troops with assault rifles guarded some entertainment venues, mass transit stations and traffic circles. Roadblocks were set up on some streets.

Several foreign embassies responded to the bombing by issuing updated travel advisories, warning that the threat of terrorism was high and advising their citizens not to travel within Bangkok and to avoid mass gatherings.

"There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days," said a travel advisory from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

The six earlier bombs wounded 14 people seriously, while the rest were treated and released from hospitals, said Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla.

The bombings came in the middle of a long holiday weekend during the peak tourist season in Bangkok, a city known for its easygoing, party-hearty spirit.

"No, I'm not scared. I'm from England. There are bomb scares all the time," said Keith Waters, who nevertheless expressed disappointment since he had been looking forward to ringing in his first New Year with his Thai wife.

The city has rarely experienced deadly bombings, although several small explosives were set off during recent political turmoil in an apparent attempt to create a sense of instability, not to cause casualties.

In September, a group of generals ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a bloodless coup, and the military installed Surayud Chulanont as interim prime minister until elections set for October 2007.

Thaksin still has widespread support, and a number of arson attacks in provincial areas have been blamed on his followers.

"There are two potential suspects: Muslim insurgents and Thaksin's residual power. I tend to think it's residual power. I suspect the previous regime," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University.

"The coup was not done right," he said. "If there had to be a coup, they had to put away Thaksin and his cronies."

Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol Patama, was quoted on the Matichon newspaper's Web site as saying that Thaksin was in China, and not involved in the bombings.

"Thaksin carries out only his political work," the lawyer said. "He doesn't do such things. If he wants to spark any movement, he won't use violence."

Bombings and shootings occur almost daily in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, where an Islamic insurgency that flared in January 2004 has killed more than 1,900 people.

The insurgents have carried out numerous attacks in the south, but are not known to have launched any in Bangkok.

"Thaksin carries out only his political work," the lawyer said. "He doesn't do such things. If he wants to spark any movement, he won't use violence."

Ya, I remember when he ordered the army down to Yala and Pattani to restore order last year. No violence, killings and torture there, right? People stacked in trucks like pigs off to the slaughter, if I remember correctly.

The targets and bombing style do not sound like the Muslim insurgency. That only leaves one obvious source

Yes, I can think of at least one guy with enough money and pull to carry out coordinated attacks like that. I sure hope that he didn't stoop that low so. I don't think so. Somehow, I don't think it came from him, even though I really don't like the guy. He is a businessman, not a mass murderer.

Sounds more like insurgents from the South, changing their tactics and their way of attack, making it look like it came from somewhere else and besides instilling terror in Bangkok, they can also try to get the North to fight itself. Let's wait and see what comes out of the investigations, but I have a feeling that the attacks came from the South.

I expected them to take the fight to the North for a long time already.

A really sad thing to happen at any time of year, esspecially at New Year. My prayers go out to for the victims and their families.

Attacking the innocent is one of the cruelest things to do. I hate to see innocent people die....both by the hands of "terrorists" and also by the hands of militaries around the world.

I pray that all of our thoughts and deeds will evolve around the world, regardless of what we believe or don't believe. After all, when it boils right down to it, we are all one global family and when we are hurting someone else, we are hurting ourselves at the same time. (That is my belief anyway).

So while I am at it, Happy New Year to all of you. My 2007 bring you health, Happiness and Prosperity, Justice and Peace.

Ya, I remember when he ordered the army down to Yala and Pattani to restore order last year. No violence, killings and torture there, right? People stacked in trucks like pigs off to the slaughter, if I remember correctly.

The person in charge of that operation was General Sondthi, the very person who, along with 'others' orchestrated the coup. There is more to this country than meets the eye.

The blasts may have been small and the damage and death toll minor (not to the families of the victims though) but the way things are these days it will scare the hel_l out of many potential visitors.

It doesn't take much as many people will not read past a headline saying Bombs in BKK.

Not good news at all for LoS.

The person in charge of that operation was General Sondthi, the very person who, along with 'others' orchestrated the coup. There is more to this country than meets the eye.

there is no evidence of violent death in thailand until about 800BC, what happened here?

I enjoyed reading the following Comment in the Nation Newspaper, so I thought I'd copy and paste it here....

We shall not be cowered

Whatever it was meant to be - an attempt to discredit the interim government, an expanded campaign of terror from the deep South, or the most serious warning yet that the peace and harmony of this Kingdom is facing its biggest and most menacing threat - we shall not let its masterminds have their way.

Thais must rise together to confront whoever was responsible for this most inhuman act, carried out with the most selfish reasons, and send them back a stronger message.

They want us to panic. They want us to point fingers, pass the blame and fight among ourselves. They want us to change our way of life. They want to aggravate our political turmoil. Whoever did it has great contempt for our national character and thus decided to put it to the acid test. Whoever did it looks with scorn upon Thais' love of peace and the nation's long-established unity. Whoever did it is pouring brutal insults on us as a nation.

We must not let them. Our parties may have been cancelled, our fun spoiled and our confidence shaken, but we shall make them see that their acts of cowardice and bloodlust will only bring us all closer together. They must be shown that while stores have been evacuated and celebrations abandoned, a common resolution is taking shape. The casualties and shattered debris at all corners of the capital must give rise to a strengthened national soul, simply because it's the opposite of what the masterminds want.

We shall help each other. We shall be vigilant. We shall be united. We shall do our best as Thai citizens to bring better times back to our country.

And we shall let them know that they will never win. [/Qoute]

"The person in charge of that operation was General Sondthi, the very person who, along with 'others' orchestrated the coup. There is more to this country than meets the eye."

Thanks for the heads up, mbkudu. I didn't know that. You are right. What a tangled web they weave.

Police says Sunday evening bombs were similiar and aimed at inflicting casualties

Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner-general Achirawit Suphanphesat (อชิรวิทย์ สุพรรณเภสัช) indicated that the bombs that went off in Bangkok on Sunday evening were all aimed at inflicting casualties.

Pol. Gen. Achirawit, in his capacity as spokesperson of the national police, said that the Royal Thai Police's Office of Forensic Science, upon inspection of the explosion site in Khlongtoey (คลองเตย), found nails contained inside a metal box which made up part of the bomb. The device itself was placed inside a garbage bin. Police also found remains of fertilizer bags deposited by the bombs that went off at Victory Monument, Secon Square (ซีคอนแสควร์) department store and Saphan Khwai (สะพานควาย) junction. Reports of the devices used at Sukhumwit (สุขุมวิท) 62 and Khae Rai (แคราย) junction have yet to be received.

Pol. Gen. Achirawit said the devices were aimed at inflicting severe injuries and loss of lives. He said evidence and witnesses point to a single group of perpetrators, because the bombs were all timed to explode between 6 to 6.15 pm. However he said it cannot yet be concluded which group was responsible.

A press conference is scheduled at 11 am today (Jan 1) at the Royal Thai Police headquarters.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 January 2007

if all the tourists go away then the prices will finally go down i hope. since the 13 years ive been here the prices are probably at least triple of before. while cambodia has many thing the prices are unchanged. then there is all the visa troubles crossing the border. yet ive even got free tourists visas in poi pet where the part is price its stamped gratis. why have i get free visas cause i am can speak khmer. but not as much as i like too. but they tested it already. fact is cambodia apprectialtes people coming to their country. thailand does not. perhaps this is caused from the massive numbers of tourists thaland gets which cambodia does not. so maybe the bight side of this is the thais will get off their high horses and start treating the foreigners that are here better.

BMA cancels New Year Day alms offering event at Sanam Luang

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has cancelled its 2007 New Year's day alms-offering event at Sanam Luang due to security concerns, after multiple bombings occured in the capital.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Phutthiphong Punnakant (พุทธิพงษ์ ปุณณกันต์) spoke of the event that would have involved 180 monks in an alms-making procession at Sanam Luang. He said this event has to be cancelled because more than 10,000 people are expected to attend. He said several of last night's multiple bombings in Bangkok occured at areas where people gather, and thus the organizer feared that a repeat would occur.

Mr. Phuttiphong said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would hold a meeting of all district directors later today to lay down a working guildline aimed at providing safety to all residents in the capital.

No need for ANY speculation now...That would be paranoid,to belive someone else did it...Muslims and nobody else...Not first time but not the last one...That is for sure and to think someone else do that just to put the blame on muslims - would be childish...It is more then clear what they are trying to make here in Thailand and same old story as it ever was... but i hope Thai will handle all ,before all be out of control...This is against Thai nation and this is try to start some kind of war here.This is introduction in something bigger but we will see response of Thai Gov. now.Too long this peoblems are going on...

ASAP ... Brut*** ,member,sent me reply on Thai forum but i lost that mail...can i retrive it any way?

The primary conclusion indicates that bomb incidents created by the same group

The primary conclusion indicates that bomb incidents in many places in Bangkok were created by the same group trying to defame the government’s reputation.

The deputy Commander in Chief of the Army, Gen Anupong Phaojinda (อนุพงษ์ เผ่าจินดา), revealed that the case is currently going through a forensic test. He said that the bombers wanted to create disord in the society by destroying people’s confidence at the current government.

At the same time, press members report that the Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and the Council for National Security chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), who is currently in Mecca for the Hajj pilgrimage will return to Thailand ahead of schedule. Gen Sonthi is expected to reach Thailand this afternoon.

Who did it?

The police say they suspect people discontent with the military coup in September to be behind the attacks. The police does not believe it was people in the south of Thailand who have been exploding bombs and setting schools on fire who were behind the attack. sad.gif

2006-12-31

Source: Rinrada, Scandasia and Ron (thanks!)

Create the problem, offer the solution, CONTROL

:o